Topic
  • 11 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-03-30T06:37:40Z by vikrantchauhan
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
5837 Posts

Pinned topic installing db2 with no gui

‏2007-06-05T22:30:02Z |
I'm trying to install DB2 in non gui environment (run level 3) on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 5) 32 bit system and I keep running into this error.

/root/software/bin/exp/disk1/db2/linux/install/db2setup: /tmp/db2.tmp.5643/db2/linux/install//db2chgpath: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
/root/software/bin/exp/disk1/db2/linux/install/db2setup: /tmp/db2.tmp.5643/db2/linux/install//db2setup_exec: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
/root/software/bin/exp/disk1/db2/linux/install/db2setup: line 994: /tmp/db2.tmp.5643/db2/linux/install//db2setup_exec: Success

I have done my searching on google and can't find squat related to this error. I tried installing this via a response file hoping that it would skip the gui installer but I received the same error.

Is there a --nox or a --text flag that I can supply at install time that will allow me to install in a non-gui environment?

Looking at the error message more in detail, I noticed that there were double slashes before the db2chgpath and removed them - no luck.

I have installed DB2 on a CentOS system running in graphical mode and I didn't have a problem. It's the non graphical mode that kills me.

Thanks for your time and knowledge,
Matt
Updated on 2012-03-30T06:37:40Z at 2012-03-30T06:37:40Z by vikrantchauhan
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5837 Posts

Re: installing db2 with no gui

‏2007-06-05T22:51:02Z  
    I forgot to mention that I was installing:

DB2 Express-C 9.1.2 for Linux
    DB2 Express-C database for 32-bit architectures running the Linux operating system
    English International
    2007-04-30
  • ocgstyles
    ocgstyles
    472 Posts

‏2007-06-05T23:04:37Z  
    Hi Matt,

db2setup is the java based GUI installer. Try using the db2_install script instead, that is the command line based installer. On my Ubuntu system, that is located in:

.../exp/disk1/db2_install

• Keith
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5837 Posts

‏2007-06-05T23:26:07Z  
    • ocgstyles
    • ‏2007-06-05T23:04:37Z
    Hi Matt,

db2setup is the java based GUI installer. Try using the db2_install script instead, that is the command line based installer. On my Ubuntu system, that is located in:

.../exp/disk1/db2_install

• Keith
    Hi Keith, thanks for the reply. I was wondering about the difference between the two. Unfortunately I get the same error using either one. I have SELinux disabled and I'm installing as root.

Thanks,
    Matt
  • rchase
    rchase
    364 Posts

‏2007-06-05T23:35:06Z  
    Hi Keith, thanks for the reply. I was wondering about the difference between the two. Unfortunately I get the same error using either one. I have SELinux disabled and I'm installing as root.

Thanks,
    Matt
    The error messages that you showed in your initial post show the db2setup script complaining about /bin/sh. If there is some problem with /bin/sh on your system then you are not going to be able to run the db2 setup scripts (either db2setup or db2_install). Are you able to successfully execute /bin/sh on your system?

You are following the correct approach if you want to install DB2 without a GUI, (ie install using db2_install or db2setup -r <response file>), so it looks like you may be running into a specific problem with your environment.

I install DB2 Express-C using db2_install all the time and I have not run into the problems you are having.

Ryan Chase
    DB2 Express Community team
    DB2 Express-C home page: http://www.ibm.com/db2/express
    Download DB2 Express-C for free: http://www.ibm.com/db2/express/download.html
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5837 Posts

‏2007-06-06T00:04:42Z  
    • rchase
    • ‏2007-06-05T23:35:06Z
    The error messages that you showed in your initial post show the db2setup script complaining about /bin/sh. If there is some problem with /bin/sh on your system then you are not going to be able to run the db2 setup scripts (either db2setup or db2_install). Are you able to successfully execute /bin/sh on your system?

You are following the correct approach if you want to install DB2 without a GUI, (ie install using db2_install or db2setup -r <response file>), so it looks like you may be running into a specific problem with your environment.

I install DB2 Express-C using db2_install all the time and I have not run into the problems you are having.

Ryan Chase
    Hi Ryan, yes, I ran /bin/sh and it took me into a new shell. /bin/sh is a symlink to /bin/bash. I'm in the process of trying it on another machine and I'll see if that works. Be back soon.

Thanks,
    Matt
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5837 Posts

‏2007-06-06T22:53:15Z  
    • rchase
    • ‏2007-06-05T23:35:06Z

Ryan Chase
    Hi Ryan, you were right. Something was wrong with my environment. I was able to install DB2 Express-c on another RHEL machine with no problems. Now let the learning curve begin!

Many thanks,
    Matt
  • rchase
    rchase
    364 Posts

‏2007-06-13T23:21:09Z  
    Hi Ryan, you were right. Something was wrong with my environment. I was able to install DB2 Express-c on another RHEL machine with no problems. Now let the learning curve begin!

Many thanks,
    Matt
    Hi Matt,

Glad to hear you had success getting DB2 Express-C running ... I'm not sure what the exact issue is with the environment on the other machine, but if you are heppy using DB2 Express-C on the other machine without the environment issue, that's great.

Ryan Chase
  • scotdb
    scotdb
    31 Posts

‏2007-06-18T12:51:32Z  

Many thanks,
    Matt
    I've ran into exactly the same problem recently.

It seems to only happen when I try to install directly from a CD (or other read only media) : copying the install files to the hard disk and rerunning seemed to cure the problem. I couldn't see any logic for it, unless the installer tries to write something below the path of the install media.

I got this on Ubuntu, but didn't have a similar problem with OpenSuSE. I was installing the Viper 2 open beta.

HTH

Phil
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5837 Posts

‏2007-07-24T19:27:37Z  
    • scotdb
    • ‏2007-06-18T12:51:32Z
    I've ran into exactly the same problem recently.

It seems to only happen when I try to install directly from a CD (or other read only media) : copying the install files to the hard disk and rerunning seemed to cure the problem. I couldn't see any logic for it, unless the installer tries to write something below the path of the install media.

I got this on Ubuntu, but didn't have a similar problem with OpenSuSE. I was installing the Viper 2 open beta.

HTH

Phil
    Hi there,

I'm glad about google finding this (it was the only result) as I'm having exactly the same problem. I'm running a Fedora 4 2.6.13 kernel, and trying to install on a remote headless server as root using the db2_install script.

I've installed a previous version of DB2 Express-C on both Windows and Ubuntu without any problems - it's just this one which hasn't worked: db2exc_912_LNX_x86.tar.gz

If anyone's got a solution would they mind posting it?

Cheers

Michael
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5837 Posts

‏2007-07-24T19:50:41Z  
    Hi there,

I'm glad about google finding this (it was the only result) as I'm having exactly the same problem. I'm running a Fedora 4 2.6.13 kernel, and trying to install on a remote headless server as root using the db2_install script.

I've installed a previous version of DB2 Express-C on both Windows and Ubuntu without any problems - it's just this one which hasn't worked: db2exc_912_LNX_x86.tar.gz

If anyone's got a solution would they mind posting it?

Cheers

Michael
    Having had a look round the forum this was solved by a guy in 2006, and IBM realised the value of publishing it in the how-to guide.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_thread.jsp?message=13871674&cat=19&thread=136572&treeDisplayType=threadmode1&forum=805#13871674

Too bad it's still not published!

Good luck

Michael
  • vikrantchauhan
    vikrantchauhan
    1 Post

‏2012-03-30T06:37:40Z  
    If you are getting permission denied error while installing ./db2setup follow these steps:
    1.In terminal localhost:db2/linux/install/$ chmod a+x ./db2setup
    2.same as in localhost:db2/linux/bin/$ chmod a+x (./all files)
    then try running localhost:db2/linux/install/$./db2setup

Note:In Step2 in th place of all files u should run step2 command for each file in bin folder eg: chmod a+x ./db2prereqcheck