• 33 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-04-30T17:44:21Z by sajjadhashimi
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1743 Posts

Pinned topic install VIO server on first time on blade js21

‏2007-05-29T12:34:52Z |
Please i have Vio server V1.3.0 and i want to install it on blade JS21
I boot from VIO DVD but i didn't get any thing , i try it severals times but with same problems , they hang when they want to load from DVD .
i don't if it's the correct way to do that ?
Thanks,
Updated on 2012-04-30T17:44:21Z at 2012-04-30T17:44:21Z by sajjadhashimi
  • tech-hunger
    tech-hunger
    9 Posts

Re: install VIO server on first time on blade js21

‏2007-05-29T13:40:47Z  
    Hi,

Not sure if there is anything specific to JS21, but from what I understand from your problem is as below.

When you say they hang,hopefully you are booting the partition on to sms and selecting to boot from DVD. If that's right, is there a DVD assigned to this partition at all. Also it is worth checking if the partition you are booting was created to have VIO on it (The first few steps while creating the partition will let you decide if you are going to have VIO or AIX)

Hope this helps...

Cheers
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2007-05-29T13:51:46Z  
    Hi,

Not sure if there is anything specific to JS21, but from what I understand from your problem is as below.

When you say they hang,hopefully you are booting the partition on to sms and selecting to boot from DVD. If that's right, is there a DVD assigned to this partition at all. Also it is worth checking if the partition you are booting was created to have VIO on it (The first few steps while creating the partition will let you decide if you are going to have VIO or AIX)

Hope this helps...

Cheers
    Yes i choose to boot from DVD .
    On the first time they go to CD/DVD drive , they try to load some softwate
    because i see ..../CDrom (the boot device)
    after that they stop checking from DVD and i have no thik after that.
    please shoul i use an other to install VIO ?

PS : on this blade i have already AIX 5.3 and i want to flush it by VIO server

Thanks
  • seroyer
    seroyer
    352 Posts

‏2007-05-29T13:58:52Z  
    JS21 requires the use of IVM rather than HMC.

When you do the first boot from DVD, what should happen is that the blade will boot up part way (into Open Firmware), then it should detect that it needs to switch into IVM mode and reboot. The second boot should start the actual install.

Since you already have AIX installed, you may want to use AIX to make sure that you have the latest system firmware installed.

If you continue to have problems, then you should probably contact support.
  • tech-hunger
    tech-hunger
    9 Posts

‏2007-05-29T14:01:32Z  
    Yes i choose to boot from DVD .
    On the first time they go to CD/DVD drive , they try to load some softwate
    because i see ..../CDrom (the boot device)
    after that they stop checking from DVD and i have no thik after that.
    please shoul i use an other to install VIO ?

PS : on this blade i have already AIX 5.3 and i want to flush it by VIO server

Thanks
    ok.. since you were running AIX earlier, probably that could be the issue.

I dont have blades in my environment but can you tell me how you create a partition on your blade servers, not sure if you use hmc or IVM. If you are using any of these, then when select Create --> Logical partition, you will need to select which OS you want to install on this partition 1.AIX or Linux 2.VIO server. So in you case I would select VIO server and proceed further to create the partition and then install VIO from the cd/dvd.
    Cheers

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2007-05-29T16:35:00Z  
    • seroyer
    • ‏2007-05-29T13:58:52Z
    JS21 requires the use of IVM rather than HMC.

When you do the first boot from DVD, what should happen is that the blade will boot up part way (into Open Firmware), then it should detect that it needs to switch into IVM mode and reboot. The second boot should start the actual install.

Since you already have AIX installed, you may want to use AIX to make sure that you have the latest system firmware installed.

If you continue to have problems, then you should probably contact support.
    i update the firmware machine for blade and i try to boot from VIO DVD , but i get the some problem.
  • seroyer
    seroyer
    352 Posts

‏2007-05-29T16:40:08Z  
    i update the firmware machine for blade and i try to boot from VIO DVD , but i get the some problem.
    The only other thing I can think of is that maybe it is waiting for input on the console. Try typing 1 and pressing Enter on the console.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2007-05-29T16:41:57Z  
    Check your console. Do you have a graphics adapter on your blade? If so, the VIOS may be outputting all console activity to the graphics console rather than to the serial over LAN console. Use the Remote Control function in your blade center to see if that is what is happening.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2007-05-29T17:40:40Z  
    I try several touch (F1 to F12) and 1 to 5

for more details about what 's i get on my telnet console :

Welcome to the virtual I/O server

boot image timestamp :17:09 07/05
    The current time and date 17:52:18 05/29/2007
    number of processors :4 size of memory 1280MB
    boot device:/pci@8000000f8000000/pci@7/usb@1/cdrom@3:\ppc\chrp\boot
    file.exe

kernel size :11936315 ; 32 bit kernel

the console hang there ...

For the console , for JS21 there is not console on it , we can acceess just by telnet on Module management
    Thanks
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2007-05-29T17:50:45Z  

file.exe

For the console , for JS21 there is not console on it , we can acceess just by telnet on Module management
    Thanks
    ps : number of processors and memory are incorrect
  • seroyer
    seroyer
    352 Posts

‏2007-05-29T18:00:24Z  
    ps : number of processors and memory are incorrect
    What is incorrect?

By default, when in IVM mode, the VIOS should be assigned virtual processors equal to the number of processors (cores), and memory should be 1/8th the physical memory (or 512MB, whichever is greater).

So I would expect that this blade has 4 processor cores and 10240MB (10GB) of memory.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2007-05-29T18:21:03Z  

file.exe

Thanks
    Does your blade have a graphics adapter? If so, check there for your console. This is very much the symptom I would expect to see in this environment.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2007-05-29T18:22:35Z  
    • seroyer
    • ‏2007-05-29T18:00:24Z
    What is incorrect?

By default, when in IVM mode, the VIOS should be assigned virtual processors equal to the number of processors (cores), and memory should be 1/8th the physical memory (or 512MB, whichever is greater).

So I would expect that this blade has 4 processor cores and 10240MB (10GB) of memory.
    yes i have 4 processors and 9.2 GB of Memory
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2007-05-29T18:24:10Z  
    Does your blade have a graphics adapter? If so, check there for your console. This is very much the symptom I would expect to see in this environment.
    No there is no graphical card
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2007-05-29T18:32:42Z  
    No there is no graphical card
    At this point, I would suggest contacting support.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2007-05-29T18:59:43Z  
    I contact IBM support , they verify blade error log and firmware level , they confirmed it's not a hardware problems , we try to boot from AIX 5.3 dvd , it's work fine , but when we use virtuol I/O server DVD , it's stoped at the level that i describe before
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2007-08-07T13:02:12Z  
    I contact IBM support , they verify blade error log and firmware level , they confirmed it's not a hardware problems , we try to boot from AIX 5.3 dvd , it's work fine , but when we use virtuol I/O server DVD , it's stoped at the level that i describe before
    Are you sure VIOS is licensed? If like the system p, it won't install unless it's licensed.
  • seroyer
    seroyer
    352 Posts

‏2007-08-07T13:06:46Z  
    Are you sure VIOS is licensed? If like the system p, it won't install unless it's licensed.
    JS21 is automatically licensed, no key should be required.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2010-01-11T07:04:59Z  
    • seroyer
    • ‏2007-08-07T13:06:46Z
    JS21 is automatically licensed, no key should be required.
    Hey, we have some problem using JS12.. Hanging in the same step and also OK when installing AIX6. The hard disk of our JS12 is empty. No software preinstalled on that.

So a question we have is do we need to manually create the LPAR for VIOS for such a clean disk? Or do we need to format the disk and how to?

Thanks.
  • seroyer
    seroyer
    352 Posts

‏2010-01-11T15:11:56Z  
    Hey, we have some problem using JS12.. Hanging in the same step and also OK when installing AIX6. The hard disk of our JS12 is empty. No software preinstalled on that.

So a question we have is do we need to manually create the LPAR for VIOS for such a clean disk? Or do we need to format the disk and how to?

Thanks.
    No, there are no manual steps for creating the VIOS LPAR on a blade: firmware does it automatically when you boot a VIOS image (including booting from VIOS install DVD) when the system is not HMC managed and has PowerVM licensed.

What kind of install are you doing? Physical DVD install (in chassis)? Remote DVD install? NIM?

Probably the best thing for you to do is call your support rep.

Steve
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2010-01-11T15:40:20Z  
    • seroyer
    • ‏2010-01-11T15:11:56Z
    No, there are no manual steps for creating the VIOS LPAR on a blade: firmware does it automatically when you boot a VIOS image (including booting from VIOS install DVD) when the system is not HMC managed and has PowerVM licensed.

What kind of install are you doing? Physical DVD install (in chassis)? Remote DVD install? NIM?

Probably the best thing for you to do is call your support rep.

Steve
    Hi Steve, we are installing from physical DVD(in chassis), it hangs in the same step as the original post. Btw, the firmware you mentioned is the blade firmware or chassis firmware?

Also, we have tried 1.4 1.5 and 2.1 VIOS, but no use. We are suspecting if the VIOS DVD we are using is for pServer boxes instead of pBlades? Are there several editions for VIOS2.1?

Thanks.
  • seroyer
    seroyer
    352 Posts

‏2010-01-11T16:20:42Z  
    Hi Steve, we are installing from physical DVD(in chassis), it hangs in the same step as the original post. Btw, the firmware you mentioned is the blade firmware or chassis firmware?

Also, we have tried 1.4 1.5 and 2.1 VIOS, but no use. We are suspecting if the VIOS DVD we are using is for pServer boxes instead of pBlades? Are there several editions for VIOS2.1?

Thanks.
    It is the blade firmware that creates the VIOS partition and puts the system into IVM managed mode. The chassis is not LPAR aware.

No, there is only one kind of VIOS media and it works for p, blades, and Power systems (similarly true for AIX media). If you can't get AIX media (assuming it is 53 TL6 or higher, right) to work either, then it is not a problem with your VIOS media.

I have heard of chassis media tray microcode issues in older media trays, but it could be unrelated. I would look at the Blade Service Data and look at the SRC history for the blade when it hangs, then look up the SRC in infocenter. But that may not be sufficient. Best idea would be to call your support rep.

Steve
  • bassemir
    bassemir
    89 Posts

‏2010-01-11T21:07:29Z  
    • seroyer
    • ‏2010-01-11T16:20:42Z
    It is the blade firmware that creates the VIOS partition and puts the system into IVM managed mode. The chassis is not LPAR aware.

No, there is only one kind of VIOS media and it works for p, blades, and Power systems (similarly true for AIX media). If you can't get AIX media (assuming it is 53 TL6 or higher, right) to work either, then it is not a problem with your VIOS media.

I have heard of chassis media tray microcode issues in older media trays, but it could be unrelated. I would look at the Blade Service Data and look at the SRC history for the blade when it hangs, then look up the SRC in infocenter. But that may not be sufficient. Best idea would be to call your support rep.

Steve
    Here is another thought. When installing IVM on a rack system (non-blade) we used to have to make sure the ASMI setup was using the "Factory Default Settings". If the system had been connected to an HMC it was necessary to reset the settings prior to starting the IVM installation.

However in your case we are talking about blades and the system was not connected to an HMC. However you did have AIX installed on it earlier so maybe that comes into play.

I have very little experience with blades. Blades do not have an ASMI interface like a rack system (right??) but maybe there is an equivalent interface or method to reset the blade back to "Factory Default Settings"??

It is just a thought...

Rich
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2010-01-12T05:09:37Z  
    • bassemir
    • ‏2010-01-11T21:07:29Z
    Here is another thought. When installing IVM on a rack system (non-blade) we used to have to make sure the ASMI setup was using the "Factory Default Settings". If the system had been connected to an HMC it was necessary to reset the settings prior to starting the IVM installation.

However in your case we are talking about blades and the system was not connected to an HMC. However you did have AIX installed on it earlier so maybe that comes into play.

I have very little experience with blades. Blades do not have an ASMI interface like a rack system (right??) but maybe there is an equivalent interface or method to reset the blade back to "Factory Default Settings"??

It is just a thought...

Rich
    Hi,

We tried installing AIX 6.1 and it doesn't hang in the DVD boot period. We believe AIX is OK for install.

The blade itself is fresh new coming out of factory, without anything installed to hard disk. Neither HMC or IVM is managing this blade also.

We are asking support to check if there are problems with the firmware.

Thanks.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts

‏2010-01-12T13:48:07Z  
    Hi,

We tried installing AIX 6.1 and it doesn't hang in the DVD boot period. We believe AIX is OK for install.

The blade itself is fresh new coming out of factory, without anything installed to hard disk. Neither HMC or IVM is managing this blade also.

We are asking support to check if there are problems with the firmware.

Thanks.
    I mentioned this in a previous post, but I'll mention it again since these symptoms sound very much like a console issue.

• What do the reference codes show? You can look these up on the AMM. Do they show AIX boot progress LEDs, or are they stuck on one value (and if so - what value).
    • Are you absolutely sure the console isn't coming out through the Chassis KVM instead of the SOL console? Go to the Remote Control section of the AMM and launch the remote control java applet.