• 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2007-05-24T16:01:43Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
90 Posts

Pinned topic vmware with pave

‏2007-05-03T20:17:25Z |
Hello,

Ive installed Pave on my SLES 10 LPAR (p5 520) and also used SLES 10 in the x86-World. I have tried to install vmware server. So far - it works until I came to the step where vmware-config.pl tries to install the right monitor module.
The installer gives the message, that he could not find the right module for the installed kernel version. The installer gives the opportunity to compile a new module from the source but fails with the message, that the gcc-version, the kernel was compiled with is 3.3.3. The actual gcc-version on SLES10 is 4.1.0.

It would be nice, if anyone can help.

Best regards
Alex
Updated on 2007-05-24T16:01:43Z at 2007-05-24T16:01:43Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    90 Posts

Re: vmware with pave

‏2007-05-07T18:52:57Z  
    We have not used VMWare so far. I am working on to give the solution for your question. One suggestion is can you install gcc 3.3.3 on sles10 to match your environment and compile it and see whether it works fine or not..

Thanks,
    Viji
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    90 Posts

‏2007-05-08T14:51:22Z  
    I installed VMWare server on sles10 machine and when trying to install I also get the same message that my kernel was built with gcc version 3.3.3 while trying to use /usr/bin/gcc version is 4.1.0.
    It also says "please either recompile your kernel with /usr/bin/gcc version 4.1.0 or restart vmware-config.pl with GCC evvironment variable point to the gcc version 3.3"

As I suggested before, it is easy to install gcc3.3.3 version and restart vmware-config.pl with gcc-3.3.3. I think it should work fine if you point your gcc variable to gcc3.3.3

I am searching for gcc 3.3.3 version to install and see.

Thanks,
    Viji
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    90 Posts

‏2007-05-11T21:44:39Z  
    I installed VMWare server on sles10 machine and when trying to install I also get the same message that my kernel was built with gcc version 3.3.3 while trying to use /usr/bin/gcc version is 4.1.0.
    It also says "please either recompile your kernel with /usr/bin/gcc version 4.1.0 or restart vmware-config.pl with GCC evvironment variable point to the gcc version 3.3"

As I suggested before, it is easy to install gcc3.3.3 version and restart vmware-config.pl with gcc-3.3.3. I think it should work fine if you point your gcc variable to gcc3.3.3

Thanks,
    Viji
    We installed gcc-3.3.3 compiler on SLES10 and got further until we came across this new message which let us believe that VmWare will not install on p AVE.
    I am including the message below:
    172_29_137_224:/usr/local/vmware/bin # ./vmware-config.pl
    p-ave has terminated unexpectedly. Please send log file /var/opt/p-ave/log/p-ave.log.ifconfig.22477.0 to IBM Support.
    Making sure services for VMware Server are stopped.

Stopping VMware services:
    Virtual machine monitor done

Configuring fallback GTK+ 2.4 libraries.

In which directory do you want to install the mime type icons?
    [/usr/share/icons]

What directory contains your desktop menu entry files? These files have a
    .desktop file extension. [/usr/share/applications]

In which directory do you want to install the application's icon?
    [/usr/share/pixmaps]

Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Server is suitable for your
    running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for
    your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? yes

Using compiler "/opt/local/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.6.16.21-0.8-default) does not match
    your running kernel (version 2.6.16.21-0.8-ppc64). Even if the module were to
    compile successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    90 Posts

‏2007-05-22T08:49:28Z  

Thanks,
    Viji
    Is it possible to load kernel modules in p-ave environment? I managed to build vmmon module but it fails to load. The same error occurs when I try to load any module (for example appletalk):
    "unimplemented syscall -38"
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    90 Posts

‏2007-05-22T14:36:11Z  
    Is it possible to load kernel modules in p-ave environment? I managed to build vmmon module but it fails to load. The same error occurs when I try to load any module (for example appletalk):
    For some reason p AVE gets terminated and looks for native OS kernel modules when we run vmware in a p AVE environment. So it gives the message like

your running kernel (version 2.6.16.21-0.8-ppc64). [b]Even if the module were to
    compile successfully, it would not load into the running kernel[/b].

Therefor, I think Vmware will not be installed in a p AVE environment. Also, I think Any applications that need kernel modifications are not a good candidate for p AVE.

Thanks,
    Viji
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    90 Posts

‏2007-05-22T16:37:46Z  

For some reason, p AVE gets terminated and looks for the native OS kernel modules when we try to install Vmware on a p AVE environment.

It gives the message like this:

your running kernel (version 2.6.16.21-0.8-ppc64). [b]Even if the module were to

Therefore, I think Vmware will not install on a p AVE environment. I also think, any applications that need modifications on a kernel module are not a good candidate for p AVE.

Thanks,
    Viji
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    90 Posts

‏2007-05-22T18:50:11Z  

For some reason, p AVE gets terminated and looks for the native OS kernel modules when we try to install Vmware on a p AVE environment.

It gives the message like this:

Therefore, I think Vmware will not install on a p AVE environment. I also think, any applications that need modifications on a kernel module are not a good candidate for p AVE.

Thanks,
    Viji
    >the directory of kernel headers (version 2.6.16.21-0.8-default) does not match
    your running kernel (version 2.6.16.21-0.8-ppc64)

-> to overcome this message I had to edit ./include/linux/version.h and change the name from default to pseries64 (on SUSE SLES9).
    Afterwards I had to copy .config to my /usr/src/linux/include and run "make menuconfig and make prepare". I also put a symbolic link in /lib/modules to (*pseries64).
    Finally I got vmmon module compiled but I can not load it. I also tried to load some other kernel modules (provided by suse), like appletalk or ipx - it fails too:
    1. modprobe ipx
    p-ave has terminated unexpectedly...
    1. modprobe appletalk

So I assume it is not possible to load any kernel modules in i386 environment at all, if I run lsmod I only see the modules loaded in my host environment (ppc64 modules) - so I guess in order to get vmware running we would need to compile all modules for ppc64 kernel and not for intel and then load it before changing to x86 environment.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    90 Posts

‏2007-05-24T16:01:43Z  
    >the directory of kernel headers (version 2.6.16.21-0.8-default) does not match
    your running kernel (version 2.6.16.21-0.8-ppc64)

-> to overcome this message I had to edit ./include/linux/version.h and change the name from default to pseries64 (on SUSE SLES9).
    Afterwards I had to copy .config to my /usr/src/linux/include and run "make menuconfig and make prepare". I also put a symbolic link in /lib/modules to (*pseries64).
    Finally I got vmmon module compiled but I can not load it. I also tried to load some other kernel modules (provided by suse), like appletalk or ipx - it fails too:
    1. modprobe ipx
    1. modprobe appletalk

So I assume it is not possible to load any kernel modules in i386 environment at all, if I run lsmod I only see the modules loaded in my host environment (ppc64 modules) - so I guess in order to get vmware running we would need to compile all modules for ppc64 kernel and not for intel and then load it before changing to x86 environment.
    yes that's true.

Vmware will not install on a p AVE environment. Also, any applications that need modifications on a kernel module are not a good candidate for p AVE.
    Viji