Topic
1 reply Latest Post - ‏2007-03-28T13:18:47Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
17 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RSS is being ruined, contaminated by money-grubbing "service providers"

‏2007-03-28T13:13:57Z |

Originally posted: 2007 March 26 05:23 PM by Jim_Harris, moved here to facilitate discussion

Here is the item of most concern to me:

Instead of letting RSS/Atom work as it was/is intended, that each user subscribe to the "feeds" that interest them, perhaps via a simple, free Reader that simply periodically checks the XML "feed" links on various WWW sites, various organizations are ruining it IMHO by trying to corner part of the traffic to their own WWW sites by offering a "service", sometimes called "aggregation", which is (again IMHO) a thinly disguised proprietary interface insertion that adds no real value to the customer and merely sucks (or suckers) them into the provider's WWW site by giving the impression of "handling all the RSS difficulties for them" (IMHO there is no such thing as an "RSS difficulty"). When several of these proprietary "service providers" gain customers, immediately the customers' choices are limited to only those "feeds" that support that provider's method, which means each customer must (in the worst case) run every proprietary service (and suffer the consequences of all their advertising etc. agreements) to access all desired feeds. If allowed to continue, this practice will surely ruin RSS, won't it?

If you agree, what can anyone do about it other than publicize the facts? Can we form a community of reporters that exposes the evil perpetrators?

If you don't agree, please comment/explain.

Jim

When settling down in front of a computer to do something useful,
Never say, or even think,
"I will just do this quickly."
Updated on 2007-03-28T13:18:47Z at 2007-03-28T13:18:47Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    17 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RSS is being ruined, contaminated by money-grubbing "service providers"

‏2007-03-28T13:18:47Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Well, Jim, I'm kind of torn on this, myself. On the one hand, I absolutely see your point. (And who are these people to make money with advertising they place around my content, anyway?)

On the other hand, I suffer from almost terminal information overload. I find it impossible to get to every site I like to read every day. That's one of the strengths of RSS/Atom, after all: the ability to take the content and repurpose it like this.

So here's my (serious) question to you: if you don't like the idea of aggregators, how do you propose that say, my mother, who is decidedly non-technical, can make use of RSS content?

• Nick