Topic
  • 14 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-05-31T11:37:52Z by gcst
gshi
gshi
280 Posts

Pinned topic request for benchmark code for mesuring FLOPS

‏2007-03-01T20:52:35Z |
hi, does anyone has benchmark code that can measure CELL's single and double precision FLOPS? thanks

-gshi
Updated on 2010-05-31T11:37:52Z at 2010-05-31T11:37:52Z by gcst
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

Re: request for benchmark code for mesuring FLOPS

‏2007-03-01T21:47:08Z  
    there is code available for that in the CELLSDK
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2007-03-01T22:01:37Z  
    The large matrix workload, in particular, reports single-precision GFLOPS (140+ on a PS3 with a large enough matrix).
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-03-27T10:46:27Z  
    I searched the sdk folder in /opt for benchmarks for FLOPS but couldnt find any. Please let me know where I can find benchmark code for GFLOPS of SPE.

Also, to measure GFLOPS performance of a program, is there any way other than counting the operations by hand and dividing by the time?
  • CellServ
    CellServ
    1346 Posts

‏2008-03-27T15:38:52Z  
    I searched the sdk folder in /opt for benchmarks for FLOPS but couldnt find any. Please let me know where I can find benchmark code for GFLOPS of SPE.

Also, to measure GFLOPS performance of a program, is there any way other than counting the operations by hand and dividing by the time?
    Have you extracted all of the tar files in /opt/cell/src/src?

If you extract demos_source.tar you'll get the Matrix Multiplication workload which can provide statistics like this:

# /opt/cell/sdk/src/demos/matrix_mul/matrix_mul -p -s 16 -m 8192
    Initializing Arrays ... done
    Running test ... done
    Performance Statistics:
    number of SPEs = 16
    execution time = 3.02 seconds
    computation rate = 364.05 GFlops/sec
    data transfer rate = 22.84 GBytes/sec

--
    IBM SDK Service Administrator
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-03-30T03:09:53Z  
    • CellServ
    • ‏2008-03-27T15:38:52Z
    Have you extracted all of the tar files in /opt/cell/src/src?

If you extract demos_source.tar you'll get the Matrix Multiplication workload which can provide statistics like this: <pre class="jive-pre"> # /opt/cell/sdk/src/demos/matrix_mul/matrix_mul -p -s 16 -m 8192
    Initializing Arrays ... done
    Running test ... done
    Performance Statistics:
    number of SPEs = 16
    execution time = 3.02 seconds
    computation rate = 364.05 GFlops/sec
    data transfer rate = 22.84 GBytes/sec
    </pre>

--
    Thanks for the info.
    I have SDK on an intel workstation. I got the executable to run in the simulator but got execution time = 0.00 seconds, computation rate=inf GFlops/sec and data transfer rate = inf GBytes/sec.
    I ran the executable on a PS3 on 4 SPEs but got an error message saying, "error while loading shared libraries: libmisc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". I guess this is because there is no SDK installed on the PS3? Will install SDK on PS3 and let you know if I can get the correct output.

thanks
    Sudhir
  • CellServ
    CellServ
    1346 Posts

‏2008-03-31T16:59:24Z  
    Thanks for the info.
    I have SDK on an intel workstation. I got the executable to run in the simulator but got execution time = 0.00 seconds, computation rate=inf GFlops/sec and data transfer rate = inf GBytes/sec.
    I ran the executable on a PS3 on 4 SPEs but got an error message saying, "error while loading shared libraries: libmisc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". I guess this is because there is no SDK installed on the PS3? Will install SDK on PS3 and let you know if I can get the correct output.

thanks
    Sudhir
    I get the same results on the simulator. Some of the timing code does not report properly on the simulator, so this must be the case.

Once you get the SDK on the PS3 (and compile the libraries) you should have libmisc.

--
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-04-16T23:16:41Z  
    • CellServ
    • ‏2008-03-31T16:59:24Z
    I get the same results on the simulator. Some of the timing code does not report properly on the simulator, so this must be the case.

Once you get the SDK on the PS3 (and compile the libraries) you should have libmisc.

--
    CellServ wrote:

--

I'm sorry I don't quite follow. Is there a solution to this problem on the simulator?

I am working with SDK 3.0 and in the simulator the matrix_mul demo has reported 0.00 second runtime every time except once, for -s 128, when it reported .01 seconds.

Thanks,
    S.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-04-17T00:10:52Z  
    CellServ wrote:

--

I'm sorry I don't quite follow. Is there a solution to this problem on the simulator?

I am working with SDK 3.0 and in the simulator the matrix_mul demo has reported 0.00 second runtime every time except once, for -s 128, when it reported .01 seconds.

Thanks,
    S.
    Let me be more clear about what I have tried. On the host machine (Fedora 7 running on VMWare server):

cd /opt/cell/sdk/src/demos/matrix_mul
    sudo make

Then in the simulator:

callthru source /opt/cell/sdk/src/demos/matrix_mul/matrix_mul > matrix_mul
    chmod +x matrix_mul
    ./matrix_mul -H -p -s 8 -m 128

and get 0.00 seconds runtime. I then run the same matrix_mul command several times, and a couple times I have gotten 0.01 seconds runtime. When I increase the matrix size to 256, 512, etc I get 0.00 seconds.

I have also tried to copy the matrix_mul source code to my home directory (~/cell/bench/matrix_mul) to play around with it a bit. However, I get some warnings during make:

/opt/cell/sdk/buildutils/make.footer:1450: warning: overriding commands for target `matrix_mul'
    /opt/cell/sdk/buildutils/make.footer:1335: warning: ignoring old commands for target `matrix_mul'

I have CELL_TOP set to /opt/cell/sdk and have tried changing INSTALL_DIR to "." -- this did not help. I assume it is a makefile problem resulting from the change of directories, but I can't figure out what might need to be changed.

Thanks,
    Scott
  • CellServ
    CellServ
    1346 Posts

‏2008-04-17T18:58:27Z  
    Let me be more clear about what I have tried. On the host machine (Fedora 7 running on VMWare server):

cd /opt/cell/sdk/src/demos/matrix_mul
    sudo make

Then in the simulator:

callthru source /opt/cell/sdk/src/demos/matrix_mul/matrix_mul > matrix_mul
    chmod +x matrix_mul
    ./matrix_mul -H -p -s 8 -m 128

and get 0.00 seconds runtime. I then run the same matrix_mul command several times, and a couple times I have gotten 0.01 seconds runtime. When I increase the matrix size to 256, 512, etc I get 0.00 seconds.

I have also tried to copy the matrix_mul source code to my home directory (~/cell/bench/matrix_mul) to play around with it a bit. However, I get some warnings during make:

/opt/cell/sdk/buildutils/make.footer:1450: warning: overriding commands for target `matrix_mul'
    /opt/cell/sdk/buildutils/make.footer:1335: warning: ignoring old commands for target `matrix_mul'

I have CELL_TOP set to /opt/cell/sdk and have tried changing INSTALL_DIR to "." -- this did not help. I assume it is a makefile problem resulting from the change of directories, but I can't figure out what might need to be changed.

Thanks,
    Scott
    When I run matrix_mul -H -p -s 8 -m 128 on a blade I also get .00 or .01, I suppose because the workload is too small.

If I increase this to matrix_mul -H -p -s 8 -m 2048 it reports .09 or .10 and I see the same result in the simulator.

For your build error, I don't recognize it but you might try removing these lines from the Makefile:

INSTALL_DIR     = $(EXP_SDKBIN)/demos
    INSTALL_FILES = $(PROGRAM_ppu)
    since your user account might not have permission to access that directory.
    --
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

Problem with running SDK 3.0 matrix multiply example code on Cell Blade

‏2008-04-23T18:25:53Z  
    • CellServ
    • ‏2008-04-17T18:58:27Z
    When I run matrix_mul -H -p -s 8 -m 128 on a blade I also get .00 or .01, I suppose because the workload is too small.

If I increase this to matrix_mul -H -p -s 8 -m 2048 it reports .09 or .10 and I see the same result in the simulator.

For your build error, I don't recognize it but you might try removing these lines from the Makefile: <pre class="jive-pre"> INSTALL_DIR = $(EXP_SDKBIN)/demos
    </pre> since your user account might not have permission to access that directory.
    --
    I tried running the matrix multiply executable in /opt/cell/sdk/src/demos/matrix_mul on Gatech's CellBuzz SDK 3.0 blades. I get the same error that I got on my Play station: "./matrix_mul: error while loading shared libraries: libmisc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".
    This is the same message I got on my PS3. I thought it was because there was no SDK installed. But SDK 3.0 is installed on CellBuzz nodes and this error is occuring there also.

Details:
    1. I did a make in the directory /opt/cell/sdk/src/demos/matrix_mul on my workstation - Intel P4 machine with SDK installed
    2. Transfer the executable to CellBuzz.
    3. Enter interactive mode for Cell SDK 3.0 nodes
    4. Run the command ./matrix_mul -H -p -s 8 -m 128
    I get the error: "./matrix_mul: error while loading shared libraries: libmisc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I am wondering how to get around this problem.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

Re: Problem with running SDK 3.0 matrix multiply example code on Cell Blade

‏2008-04-23T20:21:21Z  
    I tried running the matrix multiply executable in /opt/cell/sdk/src/demos/matrix_mul on Gatech's CellBuzz SDK 3.0 blades. I get the same error that I got on my Play station: "./matrix_mul: error while loading shared libraries: libmisc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".
    This is the same message I got on my PS3. I thought it was because there was no SDK installed. But SDK 3.0 is installed on CellBuzz nodes and this error is occuring there also.

Details:
    1. I did a make in the directory /opt/cell/sdk/src/demos/matrix_mul on my workstation - Intel P4 machine with SDK installed
    2. Transfer the executable to CellBuzz.
    3. Enter interactive mode for Cell SDK 3.0 nodes
    4. Run the command ./matrix_mul -H -p -s 8 -m 128
    I get the error: "./matrix_mul: error while loading shared libraries: libmisc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I am wondering how to get around this problem.
    "./matrix_mul: error while loading shared libraries: libmisc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
    means that it can not find the library. The libmisc.so is in cell-libs rpm. Verify that you have it installed. Also you want to check others as well, run ldd cmd on the program,

# ldd ./matrix_mul
    linux-vdso32.so.1 => (0x00100000)
    libmisc.so => /opt/cell/sdk/usr/lib/libmisc.so (0x017d0000)
    libspe2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libspe2.so.2 (0x01790000)
    libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x0fcd0000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x0fd40000)
    libnuma.so.1 => /usr/lib/libnuma.so.1 (0x01760000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0fe20000)
    librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0x0fb30000)
    libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x003c0000)
    /lib/ld.so.1 (0x0ffc0000)

Also note that, if you run on a SP3 station, you need to reduce the number of spe to 6, -s 6.

Hope this helps
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-04-29T02:06:35Z  
    • CellServ
    • ‏2008-04-17T18:58:27Z

For your build error, I don't recognize it but you might try removing these lines from the Makefile: <pre class="jive-pre"> INSTALL_DIR = $(EXP_SDKBIN)/demos
    </pre> since your user account might not have permission to access that directory.
    --
    Thanks CellServ, commenting out those lines from the Makefile removed the make warning.

Scott
  • DuraAce
    DuraAce
    1 Post

‏2010-05-31T11:23:26Z  
    Thanks CellServ, commenting out those lines from the Makefile removed the make warning.

Scott
    Hi,

i have a problem with matrix_mul too. I'm running Fedora 11 on PS3 with SDK 3.1.
    When trying to run matrix_mul i get following error:

$ ./matrix_mul -m 8192 -s 6 -p

WARNING: unable to open file /huge/matrix_mul_3906_0.bin (errno=2). Using malloc heap.
    ERROR: unable to malloc 808452224 byte buffer.

With smaller matrices e.g. 128 i get same warning and execution time 0.00 seconds.

Can anybody help?
  • gcst
    gcst
    171 Posts

‏2010-05-31T11:37:52Z  
    • DuraAce
    • ‏2010-05-31T11:23:26Z
    Hi,

i have a problem with matrix_mul too. I'm running Fedora 11 on PS3 with SDK 3.1.
    When trying to run matrix_mul i get following error:

$ ./matrix_mul -m 8192 -s 6 -p

WARNING: unable to open file /huge/matrix_mul_3906_0.bin (errno=2). Using malloc heap.
    ERROR: unable to malloc 808452224 byte buffer.

With smaller matrices e.g. 128 i get same warning and execution time 0.00 seconds.

Can anybody help?
    1.) 808452224 byte >> 256 MB (total memory of the PS3)
    2.) google for hugetlbfs on the PS3