• 19 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-12-21T21:11:00Z by BigBrian
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
5507 Posts

Pinned topic Unable to connect to license server in RPT 7.0

‏2007-02-12T13:05:27Z |
Hi

I have installed trial version of Rational Performance Tester 7.0.
The IBM Rational License Key Administrator is configured to point at the
license server correctly.

But when I run a schedule of more than 5 virtual users ( say for 10)
the following error message pops up:"Error connecting to license server"

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Picard
Updated on 2009-12-21T21:11:00Z at 2009-12-21T21:11:00Z by BigBrian
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5507 Posts

Re: Unable to connect to license server in RPT 7.0

‏2007-02-22T12:08:21Z  
    Hi,

Trial version supports only 5 virtual users. You should buy RPT license server for more users
  • Apichai.C
    Apichai.C
    1 Post

‏2007-02-28T03:24:06Z  
    Hi,

Trial version supports only 5 virtual users. You should buy RPT license server for more users
    Sorry , Now I use an activation kit instead of License Server. Why this problem still occur ?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5507 Posts

‏2007-04-10T09:33:03Z  
    • Apichai.C
    • ‏2007-02-28T03:24:06Z
    Sorry , Now I use an activation kit instead of License Server. Why this problem still occur ?
    I had a similiar issue, make sure that your setting are correct that you are either using the activiation kit, or pointing to a license server but not both, I had made this mistake in regards to using a floating server license, and then moved back to an activiation kit.

Hope that helps.
    m
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5507 Posts

‏2007-07-17T14:07:25Z  
    I had a similiar issue, make sure that your setting are correct that you are either using the activiation kit, or pointing to a license server but not both, I had made this mistake in regards to using a floating server license, and then moved back to an activiation kit.

Hope that helps.
    m
    I have the same case and using an activation kit but how to make sure that my settings are correct, What settings?
    ... thanks
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5507 Posts

‏2007-07-18T02:56:18Z  
    I have the same case and using an activation kit but how to make sure that my settings are correct, What settings?
    ... thanks
    To add to this thread:

The RPT workbench needs a license, I think that the activation key is the best way to go.

The VUsers needs a VU pack licenses (10, 25, 100, etc.), as far as I know this must be in a license server.

My question is how does the Agent Controller know how to contact this license server? When I install RAC in a PC there is no associated Licenese Key Administration tab like when you install testManager or ClearQuest for instance.

Thanks in advance.

• CafeRacer
    CafeRacer
    154 Posts

‏2007-07-18T15:10:14Z  
    To add to this thread:

The RPT workbench needs a license, I think that the activation key is the best way to go.

The VUsers needs a VU pack licenses (10, 25, 100, etc.), as far as I know this must be in a license server.

My question is how does the Agent Controller know how to contact this license server? When I install RAC in a PC there is no associated Licenese Key Administration tab like when you install testManager or ClearQuest for instance.

Thanks in advance.

Note: The agent controller's do NOT connact the license server. The license checkout is only done on the workbenc system. The licensing is not based on agents, it is based on the total number of VT's the schedule is running (i.e it could care less where those VT's are being distributed). Once you indicate that that over 5 users are running in a schedule, the workbench will try to connact the license server and see if the licenses are available. You need to set up all of the VT licenses (they are only issued as floating licences)on a license server via Rational License Key Admin

Hope this helps
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5507 Posts

‏2007-07-19T07:47:34Z  
    • CafeRacer
    • ‏2007-07-18T15:10:14Z
    Note: The agent controller's do NOT connact the license server. The license checkout is only done on the workbenc system. The licensing is not based on agents, it is based on the total number of VT's the schedule is running (i.e it could care less where those VT's are being distributed). Once you indicate that that over 5 users are running in a schedule, the workbench will try to connact the license server and see if the licenses are available. You need to set up all of the VT licenses (they are only issued as floating licences)on a license server via Rational License Key Admin

Hope this helps
    please any one answer this..I used the activation kit but I still can onlu use 5 users is this normal?
    and how to avoid the error mention in the thread?
    Thank you
  • CafeRacer
    CafeRacer
    154 Posts

‏2007-07-19T16:52:00Z  
    please any one answer this..I used the activation kit but I still can onlu use 5 users is this normal?
    and how to avoid the error mention in the thread?
    Thank you
    The activation kit allows you to run up to 5 users, any run greater thatn 5 will cause the error you mentioned (i.e. this is working as designed).
    In order to execute more than 5 users you will need to purchase a Virtual Tester pak license and have a license server running.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5507 Posts

‏2007-07-22T08:36:45Z  
    • CafeRacer
    • ‏2007-07-19T16:52:00Z
    The activation kit allows you to run up to 5 users, any run greater thatn 5 will cause the error you mentioned (i.e. this is working as designed).
    In order to execute more than 5 users you will need to purchase a Virtual Tester pak license and have a license server running.
    Thank you for replying.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5507 Posts

‏2007-08-03T09:34:53Z  
    Thank you for replying.
    Dear All,

Seems like I'm facing this error too. The error message im getting is
    "Error connecting to license server" when I try to run 10VU.

I have already configured my RPT to license server(floating) via Installation Manager.

License server consist of Rational LT_Playback_500VT & Rational LT_500VT, however I cant even run 10VU.

Tools Information:
    IBM Installation Manager v1.0.0.5
    RPT v7.0.0.2
    License Server v7.0.1

Anyone out there knows what could be the problem? I have attached the screen capture of this error.
    Updated on 2007-08-03T09:34:53Z at 2007-08-03T09:34:53Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5507 Posts

‏2007-09-17T09:58:54Z  
    Dear All,

Seems like I'm facing this error too. The error message im getting is
    "Error connecting to license server" when I try to run 10VU.

I have already configured my RPT to license server(floating) via Installation Manager.

License server consist of Rational LT_Playback_500VT & Rational LT_500VT, however I cant even run 10VU.

Tools Information:
    IBM Installation Manager v1.0.0.5
    RPT v7.0.0.2
    License Server v7.0.1

Anyone out there knows what could be the problem? I have attached the screen capture of this error.
    Hi,
    When you get this error,
    1)check if "FLEXlm License Manager" service is running in Services Control Panel>Administrator>Services : WinXP/Win2000.
    Restart this service.

2)Launch Rational License Administrator and check if all the floating liceses are served properly Menu Item : Setting >Client Server Config >check if Use License Server Option is checked.Check if correct server name is entered and then click on show licenses

3)Check if Installation manager is configured for the same server.

once above steps are verified,launch RPT goto help>license Status and check the expiration date Should be same as seen in license server and then run you're schedule.

Regards,
    Deepak Muniram
  • BluePanter
    BluePanter
    1 Post

‏2008-03-10T11:40:17Z  
    Hi,
    When you get this error,
    1)check if "FLEXlm License Manager" service is running in Services Control Panel>Administrator>Services : WinXP/Win2000.
    Restart this service.

2)Launch Rational License Administrator and check if all the floating liceses are served properly Menu Item : Setting >Client Server Config >check if Use License Server Option is checked.Check if correct server name is entered and then click on show licenses

3)Check if Installation manager is configured for the same server.

once above steps are verified,launch RPT goto help>license Status and check the expiration date Should be same as seen in license server and then run you're schedule.

Regards,
    Deepak Muniram
    *Which record(s) should I see to check if I have right server licence*?

thanx
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5507 Posts

‏2008-04-09T07:35:33Z  

Hope that helps.
    m
    According to my knowledge, Activation kit and floating license server are not interrelated.So, setting up an activation kit and pointing to a license server on the sametime for an RPT tool will not make any problems.

Here is the information on the basic difference between Activation kit and Floating license server

RPT Acivation Kit : This is used to make the validity of the RPT workbench as permenant.By Default RPT will be coming with trial version(Fixed time period)

Floating License Server : This is for the Virtual Users for the performance test run.By default RPT will allow to run a maximum of 5 users. You have to setup a License Server (Floating)to run the test for more than 5 users.Use Rational License Key administrator to download the license to the RPT workbenh(the machine where the RPT tool is installed)

Activation kit is a must for any Rational Products for permanent availability.Whereas FLoating license server is required only for the performance testing tools like RPT and ROBO.
  • fcs
    fcs
    3 Posts

‏2008-08-05T11:30:46Z  
    According to my knowledge, Activation kit and floating license server are not interrelated.So, setting up an activation kit and pointing to a license server on the sametime for an RPT tool will not make any problems.

Here is the information on the basic difference between Activation kit and Floating license server

RPT Acivation Kit : This is used to make the validity of the RPT workbench as permenant.By Default RPT will be coming with trial version(Fixed time period)

Floating License Server : This is for the Virtual Users for the performance test run.By default RPT will allow to run a maximum of 5 users. You have to setup a License Server (Floating)to run the test for more than 5 users.Use Rational License Key administrator to download the license to the RPT workbenh(the machine where the RPT tool is installed)

Activation kit is a must for any Rational Products for permanent availability.Whereas FLoating license server is required only for the performance testing tools like RPT and ROBO.
    Hi,

I've not find a way to buy the Virtual Test Packs Licence.
    Is that include in IBM Rational Performance Tester Floating User License + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months (D54LTLL) ?

And how many Virtual Users can I set with this Licence?

Thanks by advance.

Fabrice.
  • fcs
    fcs
    3 Posts

‏2008-08-05T11:30:51Z  

Hi,

I've not find a way to buy the Virtual Test Packs Licence.
    Is that include in IBM Rational Performance Tester Floating User License + SW Subscription & Support 12 Months (D54LTLL) ?

And how many Virtual Users can I set with this Licence?

Thanks by advance.

Fabrice.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5507 Posts

‏2008-08-13T08:42:09Z  
    Just to clarify some points.

1. The Istallationmanager manage two kinds of License.
    • Floating
    • Activation Kit (local license)
    The Activation Kit is a local License.
    This license allows to use RFT or RPT including 5 Virtual User.

2. For using Virtual User there is an extra Tool (the Rational License Server) to manage this License.
    Install this tool activate the VU License and check if the rational.exe and the lmgrd.exe are running.

3. With the activation kit there are no further actions to use the VU License.
    Rational Performancetester will detect automatically that a license server is running.
    This has nothing to do with the Floating License activation in the Installation Manager.

Kind regards

Andreas Franke
  • ashok.sunny
    ashok.sunny
    2 Posts

‏2009-06-01T06:35:18Z  
    Hi,

i have installed RPT with the activation kit, but still while i am running schedule for only 5 or 4 user still i am getting the "Error conneting to license server".

can you please help me to resolve this problem.
  • KMooney
    KMooney
    302 Posts

‏2009-06-05T12:08:10Z  
    Hi,

i have installed RPT with the activation kit, but still while i am running schedule for only 5 or 4 user still i am getting the "Error conneting to license server".

can you please help me to resolve this problem.
    Since it sounds connection related probably best to focus on that aspect first:

• Turn off any firewall(s) if enabled
    • Try to ping the license server machine in question
    • Verify you can connect and view available licenses using LKAD
    Start > All Programs > IBM Rational > IBM Rational License Key Administrator
  • BigBrian
    BigBrian
    12 Posts

‏2009-12-21T21:11:00Z  
    • KMooney
    • ‏2009-06-05T12:08:10Z
    Since it sounds connection related probably best to focus on that aspect first:

• Turn off any firewall(s) if enabled
    • Try to ping the license server machine in question
    • Verify you can connect and view available licenses using LKAD
    Start > All Programs > IBM Rational > IBM Rational License Key Administrator
    I ran into this same error, but I was using RPT 8.1.0.3

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=313695
    When starting a performance schedule an error is presented stating, "Error connecting to license server". The problem occurs when RPT and the Rational License Server are installed on the same machine, and as a result there are 2 licadmin.exe files on the box.

There is one located in, C:\Program Files\IBM\RationalSDLC\Common\licadmin.exe and a second one located under, C:\Program Files\Rational\Common\licadmin.exe.

To resolve this issue, I pointed this second "C:\Program Files\Rational\Common\licadmin.exe" file to the license server running in the "C:\Program Files\IBM\RationalSDLC\Common\" directory and the problem went away.

More specifically, I launched "C:\Program Files\Rational\Common\licadmin.exe", selected "Settings" --> "Client/Server Configuration...", checked "Use License Server" check box, clicked the "Add Server" button, and entered localhost for the "Server Name".

Note, I was using RPT 8.1.0.3 and Rational License Server 7.1