• 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2007-01-31T16:02:38Z by Jean_Anderson
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1525 Posts

Pinned topic Desperately trying to install Cloudscape on Mac OS X 10.4.8

‏2007-01-23T09:09:08Z |
Hi

I first followed the default setting installing it directly on disk IBM/Cloudscape 10.1. Unfortunately it was empty
I tried installing, as it should, in the Application folder and the IBM Cloudscape 10.1 folder is empty too.

Any clue.

TIA

Nick
Updated on 2007-01-31T16:02:38Z at 2007-01-31T16:02:38Z by Jean_Anderson
  • Jean_Anderson
    Jean_Anderson
    179 Posts

Re: Desperately trying to install Cloudscape on Mac OS X 10.4.8

‏2007-01-23T17:07:55Z  
    Which version of java are you using?

I just tried installing the Cloudscape java installer on mac osx 10.4.8 using the default setup. I also had the empty directories, but I also noticed that I got the error shown below:
    code getFileAttributes requires native support[/code]
    According to another thread [1] this error may have to do with Cloudscape's use of ISMP (Install Shield Multi Platform).

The default jvm release on mac osx is 1.5. The Cloudscape install worked fine when I switched to 1.4.2:
    codeexport JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home
    export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH[/code]
    Please try switching to 1.4.2. If the Cloudscape install still fails, please post the output from the "java -version" command.

regards,

-jean
    [1] http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_thread.jsp?message=13749878&cat=19&thread=93207&treeDisplayType=threadmode1&forum=370#13749878
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1525 Posts

‏2007-01-30T18:20:57Z  
    Which version of java are you using?

I just tried installing the Cloudscape java installer on mac osx 10.4.8 using the default setup. I also had the empty directories, but I also noticed that I got the error shown below:
    code getFileAttributes requires native support[/code]
    According to another thread [1] this error may have to do with Cloudscape's use of ISMP (Install Shield Multi Platform).

The default jvm release on mac osx is 1.5. The Cloudscape install worked fine when I switched to 1.4.2:
    codeexport JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home
    export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH[/code]
    Please try switching to 1.4.2. If the Cloudscape install still fails, please post the output from the "java -version" command.

regards,

-jean
    [1] http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_thread.jsp?message=13749878&cat=19&thread=93207&treeDisplayType=threadmode1&forum=370#13749878
    Hi Jean

Thanks for your reply. I would rather switch to an earlier version of Cloudscape if it fits JVM 1.5 than changing anything in my brand new iMac System.
    Does Derby have the same issue?

Regards

Nick
  • Stan
    Stan
    267 Posts

‏2007-01-30T18:28:38Z  
    Hi Jean

Thanks for your reply. I would rather switch to an earlier version of Cloudscape if it fits JVM 1.5 than changing anything in my brand new iMac System.

Regards

Nick
    Hi -

Derby is distributed in ZIP files so will not encounter this issue with Install Shield.
  • Jean_Anderson
    Jean_Anderson
    179 Posts

‏2007-01-30T18:32:57Z  
    Hi Jean

Regards

Nick
    > I would rather switch to an
    > earlier version of Cloudscape if it fits JVM 1.5 than
    > changing anything in my brand new iMac System.
    > Does Derby have the same issue?

Hi, Nick,

The problem isn't with Cloudscape itself -- the problem is only with the Cloudscape installer. Cloudscape includes the Apache Derby code "as is", without any modification whatsoever, then it adds the installer.

Derby doesn't include an installer; you can download it from http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html . I downloaded db-derby-10.2.2.0-bin.tar.gz to my Mac, extracted it with 'tar xzvf' and it works fine.

I hope this helps.

-jean
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1525 Posts

‏2007-01-31T14:27:44Z  
    > I would rather switch to an
    > earlier version of Cloudscape if it fits JVM 1.5 than
    > changing anything in my brand new iMac System.
    > Does Derby have the same issue?

Hi, Nick,

The problem isn't with Cloudscape itself -- the problem is only with the Cloudscape installer. Cloudscape includes the Apache Derby code "as is", without any modification whatsoever, then it adds the installer.

Derby doesn't include an installer; you can download it from http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html . I downloaded db-derby-10.2.2.0-bin.tar.gz to my Mac, extracted it with 'tar xzvf' and it works fine.

I hope this helps.

-jean
    Thanks, Jean and Stan

If I get it right with Derby just need to drag and drop the app into the application folder whereas Cloudscape comes in a package that the installer doesn't open properly.
    Anyway, it makes no difference besides the package and the installer, does it?.

Regards

Nick
  • Jean_Anderson
    Jean_Anderson
    179 Posts

‏2007-01-31T16:02:38Z  
    Thanks, Jean and Stan

If I get it right with Derby just need to drag and drop the app into the application folder whereas Cloudscape comes in a package that the installer doesn't open properly.
    Anyway, it makes no difference besides the package and the installer, does it?.

Regards

Nick
    > If I get it right with Derby just need to drag and
    > drop the app into the application folder whereas
    > Cloudscape comes in a package that the installer
    > doesn't open properly.
    > Anyway, it makes no difference besides the package
    > and the installer, does it?.

Hi, Nick, the main difference between Cloudscape and Derby is the packaging/installation.

I unclicked the Safari 'Open "safe" files after downloading' option so the distribution won't be automatically extracted when I download it. Before I manually extract the distribution, I first verify the release [1]. Hmmm, I'll check if there's a way to automate that verification in mac osx.

The online Derby Tutorial might help you with the spin up (especially see Step 1 on installation):
    http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/

regards,

-jean

[1] See http://db.apache.org/derby/releases/release-10.2.2.0.cgi#Verifying+releases