Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-04-15T10:17:38Z by flfdez
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
706 Posts

Pinned topic Problems with installing SLES 10 PPC on IBM System p5 (Type: 9115-505)

‏2007-01-11T11:56:51Z |
I've problems with installing SLES 10 on a IBM System p5 (type: 9115-505) machine which runs VIOS 1.3 and virtual partitions with both SLES 9 and RHEL 4 installed.

The SLES 10 install process, where I use CD/DVD as install source, typically stops after "Loading installation System" with the error-message "An error occurred during the installation" which is a very "usable" message.

The SLES 10 virtual machine has the following configuration:

Assigned memory: 512 MB, Storage: 5 GB, Assigned Virtual processor: 1

There exist some known workaround like network installation but I want to know whether there exist a way to install SLES 10 from CD/DVD (boot parameters, etc..)?

Thanks in Advance, Rune Flader
Updated on 2009-04-15T10:17:38Z at 2009-04-15T10:17:38Z by flfdez
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts

Re: Problems with installing SLES 10 PPC on IBM System p5 (Type: 9115-505)

‏2007-01-12T11:01:11Z  
    I've now reinstalled the VIOS 1.3 and added Fix Pack 8.1.

This solve the problem.

Regards, Rune Flader
  • Montecarlo
    Montecarlo
    3 Posts

‏2007-01-16T11:13:34Z  
    Hi,
    I've been having similar problems. SLES kernel panics in cramfs_uncompress_block.
    Is this the error you were getting or something different? My system is a 9133-55A with vios 1.3, multiple operational aix 5.3 lpars. Trying to install SLES from DVD - version 6th July 2006.
    Thanks, Simon
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts

‏2007-01-17T13:38:19Z  
    Hi,

I got two diffferent error-messages, a Kernel Panic and this mentioned earlier.

The error-message, in my case, depends on the configuration of the virtual server.

Regards, Rune Flader
  • Montecarlo
    Montecarlo
    3 Posts

‏2007-01-25T10:45:10Z  
    Hi,

I got two diffferent error-messages, a Kernel Panic and this mentioned earlier.

The error-message, in my case, depends on the configuration of the virtual server.

Regards, Rune Flader
    Ok, I think I've got this beaten.
    System is a 9133-55A with vios 1.3, multiple operational aix 5.3 lpars, no graphics device.
    First, the kernel panic in cramfs_uncompress_block went away once I upgraded the vio server to fixpack 8.1.
    Second, sles 10 seems determined to use a graphics device for YaST2 at installation time. After booting, YaST2 would report terminate on a graphics related error (which I have not recorded).
    It appeared that in order to prevent YaST2 from looking for a graphics device that the mkzimage_cmdline command can be used to alter the default behaviour. Unfortunately, the recommended method of using mkzimage_cmdline involved having a running sles 10 installation.
    I unpacked the sles installation into a directory on an aix 5.3 nim server, exported it and added an entry to /etc/bootptab and a boot file in tftpboot.
    This successfully booted the target lpar, but the lpar did not mount the sles installation directory.
    I changed the nim server to permit dhcpsd to provide bootp support.
    Booting the lpar from open firmware makes it possible to add kernel arguments to the boot command.
    To use vnc for the YaST2 interface, vnc=1 vncpassword=abcd1234 worked fine.
    I tried various install= and nfs= parameters, but the nim server nfs directory never mounted. The following error displayed each time:
    • Could not find the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 Installation Source.

Activating manual setup program.

>>> Linuxrc v2.0.46 (Kernel 2.6.16.21-0.8-ppc64) <<<

The manual setup program allows selection of NFS source media. The nfs mount succeeded and the installation system was loaded and started ok.
    The vnc server started successfully and could be accessed using vncconnect or a browser interface.
    The lpar installed successfully and reset the boot device to the virtual scsi disk and on reboot, successfully booted from the hard drive.
    I then set up an intel suse 10.1 system as a tftp and bootp server and successfully installed another lpar using the same process.
    So sles 10 for ppc will install from either aix or suse linux using bootp and tftp with vnc used as the display interface.

Cheers, Simon
  • flfdez
    flfdez
    1 Post

‏2009-04-15T10:17:38Z  
    Ok, I think I've got this beaten.
    System is a 9133-55A with vios 1.3, multiple operational aix 5.3 lpars, no graphics device.
    First, the kernel panic in cramfs_uncompress_block went away once I upgraded the vio server to fixpack 8.1.
    Second, sles 10 seems determined to use a graphics device for YaST2 at installation time. After booting, YaST2 would report terminate on a graphics related error (which I have not recorded).
    It appeared that in order to prevent YaST2 from looking for a graphics device that the mkzimage_cmdline command can be used to alter the default behaviour. Unfortunately, the recommended method of using mkzimage_cmdline involved having a running sles 10 installation.
    I unpacked the sles installation into a directory on an aix 5.3 nim server, exported it and added an entry to /etc/bootptab and a boot file in tftpboot.
    This successfully booted the target lpar, but the lpar did not mount the sles installation directory.
    I changed the nim server to permit dhcpsd to provide bootp support.
    Booting the lpar from open firmware makes it possible to add kernel arguments to the boot command.
    To use vnc for the YaST2 interface, vnc=1 vncpassword=abcd1234 worked fine.
    I tried various install= and nfs= parameters, but the nim server nfs directory never mounted. The following error displayed each time:

>>> Linuxrc v2.0.46 (Kernel 2.6.16.21-0.8-ppc64) <<<

The manual setup program allows selection of NFS source media. The nfs mount succeeded and the installation system was loaded and started ok.
    The vnc server started successfully and could be accessed using vncconnect or a browser interface.
    The lpar installed successfully and reset the boot device to the virtual scsi disk and on reboot, successfully booted from the hard drive.
    I then set up an intel suse 10.1 system as a tftp and bootp server and successfully installed another lpar using the same process.
    So sles 10 for ppc will install from either aix or suse linux using bootp and tftp with vnc used as the display interface.

Cheers, Simon
    To avoid the problem stopping second stage loading and showing:

try to include in the installation kernel parameter line the following:

DHCP=0 useDHCP=1

That switches to DHCP network configuration instead of using BOOTP. I use ISC Linux DHCP server allowing both protocols for the same host, BOOTP to boot the kernel and DHCP once the kernel takes control of the NIC.

This way installation sequence goes on straight:
    Freeing unused kernel memory: 256k freed
    Moving into tmpfs... done.

>>> SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 installation program v2.0.79 (c) 1996-2008 SUSE Linux Products GmbH <<<

Starting udev ...
    ... udev running
    Starting hardware detection...
    Activating usb devices... done
    Searching for info file...
    Sending DHCP request to eth1...
    Loading Installation System (103010 kB) - 100%
    starting hald... ok
    starting syslogd (logging to /dev/tty4)... ok

This works on an HS21 bladeserver.