Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-10-27T02:16:15Z by ishields
faseyiks
faseyiks
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Can't Start WebSphere AppServer 5.1 in Ubuntu 6.10

‏2006-12-08T15:50:49Z |
I have just installed an Ubuntu linux operating system on my box and installed Websphere appserver version 5.1 trial version on it. It appeared to have been successfully installed but I get this error when I try to start the appserver.

wasadmin@xzt6f3-desktop:/opt/WebSphere/AppServer/bin$ ./startServer.sh server1
/bin/uname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/opt/WebSphere/AppServer/java/bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
expr: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Please can someone help me with a way to get the appserver started.

Thanks

Faseyiks
Updated on 2009-10-27T02:16:15Z at 2009-10-27T02:16:15Z by ishields
  • ishields
    ishields
    988 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Can't Start WebSphere AppServer 5.1 in Ubuntu 6.10

‏2006-12-08T17:49:51Z  in response to faseyiks
    WebSphere App Server 5.1 is now rather old and neither it nor current versions are officially supported on Ubuntu.See WebSphere Application Server detailed system requirements. Since Ubuntu uses Debian package management it is also possible that the installation may not succeed and installation errors may not even be reported, as the supported systems all use RPM package management.

Ian Shields.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2364 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-12-09T09:57:43Z  in response to faseyiks
    You might need to install the compact / gcc packages.

I know they're available on Red Hat's DVD, but not sure if it comes with Ubuntu.

Read the documentation - Requirements. You'll find the required packages listed.
  • RobertBerg
    RobertBerg
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-12-26T21:28:09Z  in response to faseyiks
    Try this:
    In <WAS>/bin/setupCmdLine.sh
    replace
    LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19
    export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
    with
    #LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19
    #export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2364 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-12-29T16:02:22Z  in response to RobertBerg
      That's the magic - I had the same issue in Fedora Core 5, but it works now.

Thanks!
  • Lazypete
    Lazypete
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-10-22T17:57:23Z  in response to faseyiks
    I feel a bit silly to ask this since the question is almost 3 years old but i have the same exact problem except that we run a much more recent version of the Linux.

So I have the same error message:

Starting /opt/WebSphere/11...

/bin/uname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    /opt/WebSphere/11/java//bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    expr: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried what is written in the previous post.
    The compat lib was already installed
    I also tried to comment the "ASSUME_KERNEL" in the script

Both failed with the same exact message.

Please dont tell me to upgrade to a recent websphere if I could I would, but this application is old
    it is big and they wont put budget to upgrade a system that is already being replaced.
    In the meantime it still need to work. I used to be able to lauch this in our SLES 9 SP3
    But now we have upgraded to SLES 10 SP2 and it wont start.

Please be patient WAS5 date before i was born (figure of speach)
    Im used to working with WAS6.1 and WAS7 but not 5.1

Anyone have comment?

Someone told me that it was failing because the host system didn't have a Java installed
    but if im not mistaken WAS5 comes with its own Java version (1.4.2 if memory serves me well)

Thanx in advance for any comment or answer.
    • ishields
      ishields
      988 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-10-27T02:16:15Z  in response to Lazypete
      WAS 5.1 has been out of service for a while See Recommended fixes for WebSphere Application Server. If you aren't running at latest maintenance level, you might want to try that.

Other thoughts would be to stick with a distribution and version that works with the older WAS. It may be possible to update the JVM to a later version, although you may still need to stay with a 1.4 version. See IBM developer kits. However, because the WAS 5.1 version is so far out of service, you are essentially on your own.

Ian Shields