Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2006-11-10T17:35:43Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
13279 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Procedure to move database

‏2006-10-10T09:56:05Z |
I currently use tha Apache DB in IBM Director 5.10. I need to move this DB to MS SQL server. My Questions are:

1.Do I need to run the setup of IBM Dir again to point to the new DB??
2.Can I use Add/Remove prog to change DB information??
3.Do I need to do the whole DB prep as discussed in the docs on the web?
4.Can I just point to the new DB in some other way?

Help will be greatly appreciated!!

Tx
Updated on 2006-11-10T17:35:43Z at 2006-11-10T17:35:43Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Procedure to move database

‏2006-10-10T10:27:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    You can use the uncfgdb.bat and cfgdb.bat commands from director/bin/ to remove and then reconfigure the database configuration.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-10-25T13:22:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I too am looking for the migration to SQL. I will be watching this as I my goal is to generate a true query of inventory, place in report, mail a notification, and put report on LAN for review by IT team.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      13279 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-10-25T14:23:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Is there a quick way to migrate from MS SQL to DB2?
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        13279 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-10-25T15:21:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Quickest way would be to follow fabian.anklam's post, which contains instructions for stopping the use of the current database and creation of a new database on a different database server.

Do you feel that you need to migrate the data from SQL to DB2? If you do, can you explain why you need to migrate that information? A single inventory collection will most likely repopulate the new database with any relevant information that the old database had.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          13279 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-11-10T16:57:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          I need to migrate the data, becouse I have about 1000 PCs and about 50 groups so if I do a single discovery and inventory collection I will need to regroup all the PCs to their groups (this is alot of work).

I did some tests like:

1) Export and import the structure and the data from the old server to the new one.
          2) I used the cfgdb to use the new database, then
          3) When I use the console there is not manage systems.

Do you know how to import and export the data or I need to use the twgsave and twgrestore?
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            13279 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-11-10T17:35:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Discovery/Groups/etc. and inventory are actually stored in different places. TWGSAVE stores the "persistent store" data (discovered systems, groups, action plans, scheduler history, etc.) and the database stores system-specific inventory info (machine type, installed programs, etc).

The database stuff is not related to the things you say you want to avoid recreating. The database stuff is all dynamic data. If you use TWGSAVE, it will preserve your groups and discovered systems (as well as your database configuration information). It will not, however, save your inventory database data.

If you are not seeing your systems after TWGRESTORE and CFGDB, then either your TWGSAVE is messed up, you are pointing to the wrong path when running the TWGRESTORE (which will end up looking like you ran a TWGRESET), or you are trying to TWGRESTORE to a different version of Director (which isn't supported and often does not work well if at all).