Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2006-09-16T17:05:21Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
161 Posts

Pinned topic How to best utilize Drupal in practice focusing on extranet/intranet community sites.

‏2006-08-11T13:45:39Z |
We chose to use Drupal for the particular project we describe in our series. You can read more about that in first article (http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/ibm/library/i-osource1/).

At the time, we scoured the web for clues about how Drupal had been applied to closed community sites. You know... where you need to login to see any useful content. I could count the number of references I found on one hand. Given the flexibility with Drupal, we figured it out and will describe our approach in the series.

However, we are very interested to know how [b]you[/b] have implemented solutions in Drupal to support elements that provide for and extranet or intranet, like:
  • A log-in page that keeps folk out until they authenticate
  • Session expiration like an on-line banking web site, that automatically signs you out after, say, 30 minutes.
  • Restoration of a re-authenticated session to the last page you were at.
  • Security of content.

I'm sure you can think of many more. How did you do it?
Updated on 2006-09-16T17:05:21Z at 2006-09-16T17:05:21Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    161 Posts

Re: How to best utilize Drupal in practice focusing on extranet/intranet community sites.

‏2006-09-15T04:25:44Z  
    First, thanks for going through this process. Many people are watching eagerly and it's much appreciated.

There isn't much being publicly written about intranet use. My guess is, precisely because of the private nature of these systems.

For a login page, you can develop a theme that displays extra information to anonymous users than just "access denied", as well as displaying a login block.

Session expiration is not a bad idea...it would be fairly easy to implement in a module. We're working on a password policy module, it might be good to fold that feature into it as well.

Security (I assume you also mean access control?) can be handled with a number of different modules which implement Drupal's core node_access in a number of different ways. Organic Groups is still my favourite method, and probably most applicable in a corporate/intranet setting. Combine that with the LDAP module for connecting to a corporate user store, and you've got something interesting.

Finally, some feedback on these forums. It is really hard to find the messages relevant to Drupal/the series I'm interested in. Consider having one forum per series...this can make the discussion much more focused.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    161 Posts

Re: How to best utilize Drupal in practice focusing on extranet/intranet community sites.

‏2006-09-15T13:43:02Z  
    First, thanks for going through this process. Many people are watching eagerly and it's much appreciated.

There isn't much being publicly written about intranet use. My guess is, precisely because of the private nature of these systems.

For a login page, you can develop a theme that displays extra information to anonymous users than just "access denied", as well as displaying a login block.

Session expiration is not a bad idea...it would be fairly easy to implement in a module. We're working on a password policy module, it might be good to fold that feature into it as well.

Security (I assume you also mean access control?) can be handled with a number of different modules which implement Drupal's core node_access in a number of different ways. Organic Groups is still my favourite method, and probably most applicable in a corporate/intranet setting. Combine that with the LDAP module for connecting to a corporate user store, and you've got something interesting.

Finally, some feedback on these forums. It is really hard to find the messages relevant to Drupal/the series I'm interested in. Consider having one forum per series...this can make the discussion much more focused.
    This is great! Thank you for the suggestions Boris. Of course this stuff is a moving target and we welcome any advice, suggestions and practical solutions.

We hope to describe our methods of implementing features we considered useful to the IBC extranet/intranet environment in furture articles. However, we'd really like to be able to refer to the solutions that other people have used since this keeps the subject alive and hopefully helps others solve their problems.

Regarding your comments on the forum organization. You're right. I'll try to figure out a better organization.

Thanks again!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    161 Posts

‏2006-09-16T17:05:21Z  
    The Automated Logout module (http://drupal.org/project/autologout) seems to do session expiration based on role policies.