Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-04-16T19:17:46Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
706 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Open Power 710

‏2006-08-10T03:28:21Z |
Hi

I have an openpower 710 system that was once configured with HMC for LPAR. Unfortunately I lost access to that HMC and cannot control the openpower Now I want to run suse10 Enterprise with Xen and want to use use Xen virtual machines. Could any body point me in the right direction how can I connect to openpower without HMC and how can I install SUse10

Thanks for your help in advance
-Bobby

Updated on 2009-04-16T19:17:46Z at 2009-04-16T19:17:46Z by SystemAdmin
  • ranger
    ranger
    38 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Open Power 710

‏2006-08-10T14:31:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Since you don't have access to the HMC anymore, I think the quickest way to do this is to log into ASM. This can be done by plugging an Ethernet cable from your laptop to HMC port 2. With most recent laptops you won't need a cross-over cable. The default IP address on the HMC port 2 is 192.168.3.147, so address you laptop to something on the same subnet. Then use a browser and access ASM with the IP address of HMC port 2.

Once in ASM, I believe you can reset the machine to factory defaults. Be careful as this may also downgrade your firmware level if you have not applied it to permanent (something you might consider doing before resetting it).

Once reset, you can use ASM to control the power on the server and also use serial or video console.

Check out this paper for more information on working with ASM -> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-pow-opsetup/index.html
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      706 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-08-15T22:00:08Z  in response to ranger
      using the IP 192.168.3.147 and HMC port i cannot access the ASm I tried both
      192.168.3.147 and 192.168.2.147 and both HMC1 and HMC2 ports
      and cannot even acess the serial console. Well we used HMC previously to create LPAR on this m/c is that a problem ?

-B.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-08-10T17:45:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    It is also worth mentioning that XEN doesn't work on any IBM POWER systems or blades.

Dave
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      706 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-08-13T22:11:15Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thanks a lot for your help. I will ceratilny try connecting through ASM , Thanks ranger for the suggestion . My problem is I do not have HMC. when we got these machines we were told that very shortly IBM is releasing the capability to control the lpars from one of its partitions , But I guess that never happened. Today i come across another piese of software called hercules-390 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hercules-390/message/38526

It would be nice to know if its possible to emulate the job of HMC with this ?

-B.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        706 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-08-13T22:22:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hmm...I don't know anything about that link.

You can do virtualization on pSeries servers without an HMC using something called "IVM" (Integrated Virtualization Manager"?) that runs in a partition.

See http://www-03.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/virtualization?entry=we_announced_ivm for some info.

Dave
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          706 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-08-17T05:15:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          The Integrated Virtualization Manager (IVM) come with the VIO Server, when you get the Advanced POWER Virtualization (APV) feature.

When the OpenPower 710 is setup, it can either be configured to be managed by an HMC or IVM, but not both.

Here is an article that explains how to use IVM with Linux on POWER.

Use the Integrated Virtualization Manager with Linux on POWER
          http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-pow-ivm/
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            706 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-04-16T19:17:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hi bobby-earth,

how did you solved your serial access issue? We run exactly in the same situation.
            Got used openpower systems and have no serial or ip access over the default ip's.

Thanks a lot.

best,
            Karanosov