Topic
  • 11 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2006-08-18T11:39:25Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
13279 Posts

Pinned topic FRU Service Numbers

‏2006-08-07T11:52:32Z |
All of my Inventories of servers show the 'There is no inventory data available for this query at this time' message when looking in the FRU service numbers query.

Why is this, surely this should be one of the things IBM Director should have no problem get back...IBM hardware information?
Updated on 2006-08-18T11:39:25Z at 2006-08-18T11:39:25Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

Re: FRU Service Numbers

‏2006-08-08T10:10:44Z  
    FRU numbers are obtained for supported systems via the GETFRU service. GETFRU must have Internet access in order to pull FRU numbers from an IBM web site. If your agent systems do not have this network access, GETFRU will not be able to pull the necessary info from the Internet and the agents' inventory queries will not return FRU data to the server.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2006-08-16T09:56:10Z  
    FRU numbers are obtained for supported systems via the GETFRU service. GETFRU must have Internet access in order to pull FRU numbers from an IBM web site. If your agent systems do not have this network access, GETFRU will not be able to pull the necessary info from the Internet and the agents' inventory queries will not return FRU data to the server.
    Ok if thats the case then why do I get FRU numbers attached to Alerts for faulting parts. for example 'Event Text Defunct drive - I/O subsystem error: controller 1, channel 2, SCSI ID 0 (FRU Part # 90P1384)'

So if it knows it, why doesn't the Inventory pull it through?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2006-08-18T08:52:34Z  
    where do you check for FRUs?

i'm running director 5.10.2 on linux and cant see any FRUs for my managed systems (ok, just one system so far :-)

Is there a way to check the FRU for a broken memory module in a server with the director?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2006-08-18T09:15:15Z  
    where do you check for FRUs?

i'm running director 5.10.2 on linux and cant see any FRUs for my managed systems (ok, just one system so far :-)

Is there a way to check the FRU for a broken memory module in a server with the director?
    Hm, ok.

I just doublechecked:

• the director server has ftp access to the internet
    • i can access the ibm server manually with ftp
    • i can access the directory which should contain the fru files
    • the directory is empty...

Is there a problem on ibms ftp server?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2006-08-18T10:29:18Z  
    Hm, ok.

I just doublechecked:

• the director server has ftp access to the internet
    • i can access the ibm server manually with ftp
    • i can access the directory which should contain the fru files
    • the directory is empty...

Is there a problem on ibms ftp server?
    There are files in there you just do not have access to list the contents of the directory. Try using get against one of the files in there and you should see it downloaded...

For example:
    Connected to dispsd-40-ftp.boulder.ibm.com.
    220-****************************************************************************
    220-*
    220-* IBM's internal systems must only be used for conducting IBM's
    220-* business or for purposes authorized by IBM management.
    220-*
    220-* Use is subject to audit at any time by IBM management.
    220-*
    220-****************************************************************************
    220-
    220 peak1 FTP server (Version wu-2.6.2(5) Custom Fri May 27 13:45:39 MDT 2005) r
    eady.
    User (dispsd-40-ftp.boulder.ibm.com:(none)): ftp
    331 Guest login ok, send any password.
    Password:
    230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
    ftp> cd pc/pccbbs/bp_server
    250 CWD command successful.
    ftp> get 8670ums.txt
    200 PORT command successful.
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for 8670ums.txt (8669 bytes).
    226 Transfer complete.
    ftp: 8866 bytes received in 0.57Seconds 15.53Kbytes/sec.
    ftp> ls
    550 Bad directory components
    ftp>
    So there is clearly files there but you can not see them...
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2006-08-18T10:55:03Z  
    There are files in there you just do not have access to list the contents of the directory. Try using get against one of the files in there and you should see it downloaded...

For example:
    Connected to dispsd-40-ftp.boulder.ibm.com.
    220-*
    220-* IBM's internal systems must only be used for conducting IBM's
    220-* business or for purposes authorized by IBM management.
    220-*
    220-* Use is subject to audit at any time by IBM management.
    220-*
    220-
    220 peak1 FTP server (Version wu-2.6.2(5) Custom Fri May 27 13:45:39 MDT 2005) r
    eady.
    User (dispsd-40-ftp.boulder.ibm.com:(none)): ftp
    331 Guest login ok, send any password.
    Password:
    230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
    ftp> cd pc/pccbbs/bp_server
    250 CWD command successful.
    ftp> get 8670ums.txt
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for 8670ums.txt (8669 bytes).
    226 Transfer complete.
    ftp: 8866 bytes received in 0.57Seconds 15.53Kbytes/sec.
    ftp> ls
    550 Bad directory components
    ftp>
    So there is clearly files there but you can not see them...
    Thanks, that was helpful!

I just verified that i can download files (ok, to be excact: the same file you downloaded) from that server...

But when i run getfru i get:
    root@vmserv20 bin# ./getfru
    Either FRU is not supported or this system does not have access to FRU file.
    Please run man getfru for help.
    GETFRU completed
    A tcpdump reveils that getfru:
    • can login to the server just fine
    • sets type I
    • changes the directory to /pc/pccbbs/bp_server
    • tries to get VMwaums.txt

That file does not exist, and getfru disconnets from the server.
    Note: I'm running the director server on a virtual machine, so
    that might be the explanaition for the filename. But i thought
    that getfru would either get all FRUs as a complete download or
    all FRUs for the servers added to the director...

Danny

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2006-08-18T11:00:00Z  
    Thanks, that was helpful!

I just verified that i can download files (ok, to be excact: the same file you downloaded) from that server...

But when i run getfru i get:
    root@vmserv20 bin# ./getfru
    Either FRU is not supported or this system does not have access to FRU file.
    Please run man getfru for help.
    GETFRU completed
    A tcpdump reveils that getfru:
    • can login to the server just fine
    • sets type I
    • changes the directory to /pc/pccbbs/bp_server
    • tries to get VMwaums.txt

That file does not exist, and getfru disconnets from the server.
    Note: I'm running the director server on a virtual machine, so
    that might be the explanaition for the filename. But i thought
    that getfru would either get all FRUs as a complete download or
    all FRUs for the servers added to the director...

Danny

getfru gets the fru file for the system on which you are running it rather then all files. So if you as in the example as running it on a 8670 (x345) you will download the x345 FRU file.

As the virtual hardware in a Virtual Machine does not have IBM FRU numbers there will be no FRU file for a VM...

Try running the getfru command on a "real" system instead, perhaps from the VMWare ESX console or the host os for your virtual machine. Provided that it is a IBM system.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2006-08-18T11:07:56Z  
    getfru gets the fru file for the system on which you are running it rather then all files. So if you as in the example as running it on a 8670 (x345) you will download the x345 FRU file.

As the virtual hardware in a Virtual Machine does not have IBM FRU numbers there will be no FRU file for a VM...

Try running the getfru command on a "real" system instead, perhaps from the VMWare ESX console or the host os for your virtual machine. Provided that it is a IBM system.
    Yes, its all IBM hardware :-)

But maybe i'm completly wrong anyway...
    I thought that those FRU files are downloaded for/by the director so i can see the FRU numbers for certain parts of my servers. Eg, seeing not just the number of memory modules, their sizes, speeds etc, but also the FRU number.

The documentation sounds that way:

IBM Director obtains field-replaceable unit (FRU) data files for use with some tasks. IBM Director obtains information about the field-replaceable unit (FRU) components that are installed in a managed system from the IBM Support FTP site (ftp://ftp.software.ibm.compc/pccbbs/bp_server). The FRU information is contained in a FRU data file that is: v Specific to the managed system server model type v Available only for System x and xSeries servers that currently are supported by IBMIBM Director makes one attempt to copy the FRU data file:

For managed systems running Linux
    The copy occurs during the IBM Director Agent installation on the managed system.

For managed systems running Windows
    The copy occurs the first time you restart the managed system after IBM Director Agent is installed.
    Hm. ok sounds that i need to reboot my windows server (the one i used for testing the director agent). Quit stupid, why dont they just download it when you add the server to the inventory?

But well... I'll go and check for a downtime.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2006-08-18T11:14:34Z  
    Yes, its all IBM hardware :-)

But maybe i'm completly wrong anyway...
    I thought that those FRU files are downloaded for/by the director so i can see the FRU numbers for certain parts of my servers. Eg, seeing not just the number of memory modules, their sizes, speeds etc, but also the FRU number.

The documentation sounds that way:

IBM Director obtains field-replaceable unit (FRU) data files for use with some tasks. IBM Director obtains information about the field-replaceable unit (FRU) components that are installed in a managed system from the IBM Support FTP site (ftp://ftp.software.ibm.compc/pccbbs/bp_server). The FRU information is contained in a FRU data file that is: v Specific to the managed system server model type v Available only for System x and xSeries servers that currently are supported by IBMIBM Director makes one attempt to copy the FRU data file:

For managed systems running Linux
    The copy occurs during the IBM Director Agent installation on the managed system.

For managed systems running Windows
    The copy occurs the first time you restart the managed system after IBM Director Agent is installed.
    Hm. ok sounds that i need to reboot my windows server (the one i used for testing the director agent). Quit stupid, why dont they just download it when you add the server to the inventory?

But well... I'll go and check for a downtime.
    It is the IBM Director Agent that downloads the FRU file, the server does not download a copy of the FRU files for all your systems. So each agent downloads the FRU file for the type of system it is.

That way the agent can happily tell the server that I have a problem with memory module X and by the way it has FRU xxYxxxx

Hopefully that makes it a bit clearer :)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2006-08-18T11:21:46Z  
    It is the IBM Director Agent that downloads the FRU file, the server does not download a copy of the FRU files for all your systems. So each agent downloads the FRU file for the type of system it is.

That way the agent can happily tell the server that I have a problem with memory module X and by the way it has FRU xxYxxxx

Hopefully that makes it a bit clearer :)
    ouch. that would be very bad.

Ok thats exactly the function i'm looking for (i have two failed modules in a x445, but i cant check the fru without downtime...), but when you're right it would mean that i have to open ftp for all servers?!?

Danny
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2006-08-18T11:39:25Z  
    ouch. that would be very bad.

Ok thats exactly the function i'm looking for (i have two failed modules in a x445, but i cant check the fru without downtime...), but when you're right it would mean that i have to open ftp for all servers?!?

Danny
    Yep, that is what I was saying in my other thread, having to open port for an external ftp server is not possible for me.

Putting my own anonymous ftp is not possible either, so is there other way to give the fru file to director?