Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-12-27T17:14:15Z by Bromium
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
160 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Distributed Platforms

‏2005-11-21T21:20:30Z |
Has anyone used DataStage to integrate data across distributed platforms? Currently we use DataStage in corporate environments, where we are data warehousing, or integrating across tightly-coupled LAN systems. However, we are exploring using DataStage to push data down to our vast network of stores and were wondering if anyone else has successfully used DataStage (particularly USS) to accomplish anything like this? If so, do you have any observations, best practices, insights into making this work?
Updated on 2009-12-27T17:14:15Z at 2009-12-27T17:14:15Z by Bromium
  • Bromium
    Bromium
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Distributed Platforms

‏2009-12-27T17:11:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    DataStage is an expensive tool if you want to use it for your file distribution mechanism.

Might I suggest that you keep it as your ETL process, and craft a different approach to update all of your stores. If you have a "vast network" then you know that some stores will be down from time to time. You'll need a re-transmit approach. You should also farm off that process onto a dedicated file server. I'm a DS Admin, if I saw one of my developers use DS in this way I'd have to step in and suggest a different approach.

Not sure what your company network is like in order to push new content to your stores, but that process should already be in place. You can push your Data Base update as a flat file to the store and trigger a local load process there. Optionally you might want to have your stores do a PULL rather than a PUSH out to them. This would help your multiple time zone issue in regards to hammering your file server on a nightly basis.
    • Bromium
      Bromium
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Distributed Platforms

‏2009-12-27T17:14:15Z  in response to Bromium
      Ack, sorry folks, didn't see that the original past was 4 years old.

:(