Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-11-01T06:22:19Z by YuJo
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
510 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How can I import excel or word file into Metastage?

‏2005-10-19T04:19:02Z |
How can I import excel or word file into Metastage 7.0?
Updated on 2011-11-01T06:22:19Z at 2011-11-01T06:22:19Z by YuJo
  • Dan_Dechichio
    Dan_Dechichio
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How can I import excel or word file into Metastage?

‏2011-10-17T15:21:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I am very much interested in this. I do not have any other IBM product except for Data Architect and I would like to import my DDL into the Business Glossary and to some lineage from source to target mapping. But I cannot see to find how to do this.
    • MarcHaber
      MarcHaber
      11 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-17T19:47:20Z  in response to Dan_Dechichio
      Business Glossary is part of the IBM Information Server, which includes the underlying repository and the Import Export Manager. The Import Export Manager tool allows for import of Database, File, BI or Model metadata into the Information Server Repository.

InfoSphere Data Architect version 7.5.x allows for the publish (export) of a Data Model from IDA to the Information Server Repository.

Therefore - a DBM or LDM file may be published to Business Glossary directly from IDA or imported using the Import Export Manager, creating Database Tables and Columns visible in Glossary.

Business Glossary will allow a user to browse and view any imported metadata - and assign such Physical Tables and Colums to the created Terms, imparting the Business Semantic to the Technical Asset.

What mapping will be created, and in what tool to demonstrate data flow?

Lineage is not a function of the Business Glossary, but rather of the Metadata Workbench.
    • YuJo
      YuJo
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-01T06:22:19Z  in response to Dan_Dechichio
      @W4VG,

Lineage is only available for physical/technical metadata assets, so terms and categories in Business Glossary don't have lineage.

You may reverse-engineer DDL into IDA, save it as a model then import it into metadata repository. You can also create mappings in FastTrack, or import mappings from CSV as Extension Mapping Document via Metadata Workbench(both are components of InfoSphere).

When metadata for both source and target, as well as mappings in between are loaded and matched, you'll be able to see lineage in both Business Glossary and Metadata Workbench(with different coverage and level of details).

Hope this helps !
  • YuJo
    YuJo
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-01T06:16:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Debraj,

First of all, MetaStage is not a document management tool as it stores metadata in the database tables. So if what you want is to import Word/Excel doc as a whole into it, it's just not the intention of the tool.

There is a component called Meta Architect in MetaStage 7.x, which allows you to define the mappings from your metadata sources to the metadata assets in MetaStage repository, so when you import your stuff MetaStage knows where to save them.

However, please keep in mind that this method requires your metadata prepared in a structured CSV file. Word and Excel docs are NOT always structured, mostly they are semi-straucrued. So you need to prepare them before being able to import, e.g. remove un-necessary formats and extract actual metadata.

Since Office 2003, Word and Excel can be saved as XML, so there is a much better chance you can make a XML Stylesheet/XSL to transform the doc and extract useful metadata in a structured layout.

Hope this is really you are after.

Josh