Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2005-08-08T22:38:40Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
332 Posts

Pinned topic What do I need to connect to Oracle from Datastage EE?

‏2005-08-04T08:00:25Z |
Hi,

I am evaluating Datastage for our ETL tool. I will need to connect to a set of Materialised views in an Oracle 9i database.

Can anyone tell me can we connect to the Oracle MV's directly from Datastage EE (using SQLnet rather than ODBC) or do we need to purchase any additional plugins (such as Oracle Applications Pack?)

Thanks
S.
Updated on 2005-08-08T22:38:40Z at 2005-08-08T22:38:40Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    332 Posts

Re: What do I need to connect to Oracle from Datastage EE?

‏2005-08-04T23:13:46Z  
    All you need is an Oracle client installed on the same host as the DataStage server and then you can connect to any Oracle database via SQL*Net.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    332 Posts

Re: What do I need to connect to Oracle from Datastage EE?

‏2005-08-08T22:38:40Z  
    When importing table definitions via the plug-in stage, remember to check the Views check box so that view definitions are also made visible.

Other than that, use the Oracle Enterprise stage (parallel jobs) or the Oracle OCI stage (server jobs or sequential access in parallel jobs) and your views can be treated just like tables by DataStage (whether they are materialized views or not, but clearly the former don't need to execute a SELECT on the base table before delivering any rows).

Of course, as Craig intimated, you need the Oracle client software on the machine(s) on which DataStage is executing. DataStage is, as far as Oracle is concerned, just another client application.