Pinned topic DataStage XE with DB2 UDB v8.2
Answered question This question has been answered.
Unanswered question This question has not been answered yet.
We want to setup one ETL AIX server for DataStage XE and one AIX server for DB2 UDB v8.2. How do we config the ETL server to connect to DB2 (using DataDirect)? Do we need to install anything on the DB2 Server ?
Updated on 2006-01-10T15:09:18Z at 2006-01-10T15:09:18Z by SystemAdmin
Re: DataStage XE with DB2 UDB v8.22006-01-10T13:06:04ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.Here's what I do for new DB2 ODBC connections. We only use ODBC to connect to DB2 databases, not the DB2 client. That way we use the Data Direct wire driver right to the database and do not use DB2Connect. There are pros & cons. Your installation may be different.
I usually bring DataStage down when adding to the .odbc.ini file. It may not be required but I like to play it safe.
1) log on to Unix as the engine owner ( we logon as ourselves and issue the command su - dsadm )
- make backup copy of .odbc.ini ( for safety )
- edit .odbc.ini and add an entry for the new DB2 database connection, following the DB2 example of non-mainframe DB2 values. We use the database name on the first line within the brackets.
- create & bind a DB2 package using $DSHOME/../branded_odbc/lib/bindnn program ( be sure embedded userid & passwd have database create pkg/bind authority )
- If bindnn appears successful, remove the embedded password from the new entry ( I leave the userid for documentation of what was used )
3) cd to any project that contains apps that want to connect to the new database.
- make a backup copy of the uvodbc.config
- add 2 lines using the same database name as put in the brackets in .odbc.ini ( instructions are included as comments in this file )
4) bring up DataStage
5) if everything is correct, you should be able to use a Manager session within that project and verify the new connection. I use import-> table definitions -> ODBC table definitions. In the dropdown box, choose the same name as added to uvodbc.config. Enter a userid/password that is authorized to access the database. A list of tables should be returned if everything has been done correctly. I then cancel out of this screen.
Notes: a) AIX db2 does not like upper case user ids but mainframe DB2 is Ok with that. b) the 'bindnn' referred to above: nn varies with the version of the Data Direct drivers c) if a DBA wipes out and redefines the database, you might lose the packages you created and you'll have to run the create pkg/bind again. I make sure they are aware of that so I'll be notified beforehand. d) there are different ways to verify a connection, #5 is just the one I use. HTH - Carol
Re: DataStage XE with DB2 UDB v8.22006-01-10T15:09:18ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.I usually bring DataStage down when adding to the .odbc.ini file. It may not be required but I like to play it safe.[/quote:9b71ab51cb]
Just a small note - it is not required to bring DataStage down when working with ODBC configurations. FYI. :-)