Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2006-04-29T14:10:48Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
3659 Posts

Pinned topic Alt in sequence diagram

‏2006-04-12T14:15:41Z |
hi, for drawing sequence diagrams, how can i represent a repeated sequence of activities? it seems no tools can support it.

cheers
Updated on 2006-04-29T14:10:48Z at 2006-04-29T14:10:48Z by SystemAdmin
  • jlr
    jlr
    3 Posts

Re: Alt in sequence diagram

‏2006-04-12T17:00:57Z  
    First, I'm not a UML expert so take the following with a grain of salt.

The general consensus is that this isn't what sequence diagrams are good at, and so it typically isn't shown. There is a UML construct called "interaction frame" that can be used to denote conditional or iterative execution on a sequence diagram, but AFAIK Rose doesn't support it.

If I were in your shoes, I would just add a note to the appropriate message(s) if I thought it was really important for the reader's understanding, otherwise I would just leave it off.

--Jeff
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3659 Posts

‏2006-04-12T23:30:09Z  
    Rose does not support the UML 2.0 combined fragment.

What I have done for a workaround is this:

1. Create a note
    2. Right click on the note, select Format, and set fill color off by clicking next to Use Fill Color. The note should now be transparent.
    3. Type the conditional in the note
    4. Expand the note to surround the messages you want to enclose in the combined fragment.

The only disadvantage I have found is that I have to move the note to be able to edit the messages. This is because the messages are not really "inside" the note, but are actually underneath the note (in the sense that the graphic elements for the messages are under the graphic element for the note).

Geri

http://www.wyyzzk.com/
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3659 Posts

‏2006-04-13T15:00:39Z  
    Does it make sense to treat this repeated set of activities as a method with its own diagram? You could then link that diagram through a note in the appropriate places in other diagrams.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3659 Posts

‏2006-04-27T07:18:14Z  

"Alt" Module in Seuqnce diagram is covered with UML 2
    But not all the tools are align with UML 2.
    Rational Rose is based on UML 1.x, so you need to use Note to explain the different cases.

But you know, you can create "alt" in sequence diagrams in many tool now :
    • Enterprise Architect (Sparx Systems)
    • Rational Software Architect
    And forsure it is also possible with Together.

Guillaume
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3659 Posts

‏2006-04-29T14:10:48Z  
    Does it make sense to treat this repeated set of activities as a method with its own diagram? You could then link that diagram through a note in the appropriate places in other diagrams.
    sorry, its kind of an client-server protocol, so cannot put all into one class. anyway, it seems there is no other batter way than making a note.

:)