Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2006-04-05T14:23:25Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
14225 Posts

Pinned topic Support UML 2 in Sequence Diagram (Rational Software Modeler v6)

‏2006-03-30T10:28:21Z |
Hello, I would like to express some tasks using Sequence diagram in Rational Software Modeler v 6.0, but Ive got issues while trying to do it. Im sorry if my questions would seem to be too easy to be asked at this forum. Please dont hesitate to mark errors in my consideration of the UML 2 Specification or of improper using the IBM software. Besides I follow the UML 2.0 in a Nutshell by Dan Pione and Neil Pitman while constitute my Sequence Diagrams, so the following UML 2 provides.. means Ive seen something nearby this in the book.

[b]Issue #1.[/b] codeHow to export Sequence diagram to JPG format?[/code]

Description #1. The problem is that I need to provide my co-workers with some diagrams. They use IBM software that doesnt offer UML 2 support. Thus it would be nice to explore my vision using JPG picture. Ive tried to PUBLISH in web or in report the whole model using MODELLING->PUBLISH menu, nevertheless I could find nowhere any jpg-diagrams in img folder. What do I miss?
[b]Issue #2.[/b] codeHow to show signature of invoked method (message)?[/code]

Description #2. I sure it might be a very simple action with Filter or so on, but I cant find it. And what is more, followed by UML 2 I could be able to specify it as attribute = signal_or_operation_name (arguments) : return_value where attribute is [i]an attribute of lifeline, sending the message, a global attribute of interaction or an attribute of the class owning the iteraction[/i]. It seems I might to specify values of arguments and return. ([i]You can explicitly identify a parameter name by following the text name with a colon (:) and then the value. If you use parameter names, you can omit arguments not relevant to the interaction. As with a dash, skipped arguments have unknown values. You can prefix an argument with the keyword out or inout to indicate the argument is used to return a value. If the argument is used as an out argument, a value after the colon in the argument specification is interpreted to be the return value.)[/i] Thus throughout a sequence of messages t might be possible to explicitly define how data is being returned and propagated. What do I miss?

[b]Issue #3.[/b] codeHow to add guard condition to Loop Combined Fragment?/code

Description #3. The loop fragment initially has the 0,* condition on the number of repetition. I have to depict the while loop where special condition hold in. I cant neither change the 0,* block on something else, nor add addition guard condition. Accordingly to UML 2 at least one alternative should be available, shouldnt it? What do I miss?

[b]Issue #4!!![/b] codeHow to decompose a sequence diagram? [/code]

Description #4. Its a very important question to me and I feel discontented not able to solve it. In UML 2 noticed that one can decompose some sequence diagram by placing the ref and life line ([i]To create a part decomposition reference, simply place ref interaction_diagram_name after the instance name in the head of your lifeline[/i]). While working with interaction_diagram_name you could use special gates, that is entities show the external to this diagram messages.

[i]«Messages that come into or out of the decomposed lifeline are treated as gates that must be matched by corresponding gates on the decomposition. A gate represents a point where a message crosses the boundary between the immediate interaction fragment and the outside environment. A gate has no symbol of its own; you simply show a message pointing to the edge of the frame of an interaction fragment. The entire purpose of a gate is to show an object that sent a message connecting to the object that received the message.» [/i]

When Im trying to bind the arrow of message to or from the end of the style sheet, Software Modeler heavily surprised what I indent to do by this. I should noticed that interaction occurrence is for another purposes. So I havent got any another alternatives to make this, if Modeler refuses.

[b]Issue #5.[/b] codeDoes Modeler support Continuations, State invariant (I have got some question if constraints in Modeler are exactly for this )?[/code]

Thanks.
Updated on 2006-04-05T14:23:25Z at 2006-04-05T14:23:25Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

Re: Support UML 2 in Sequence Diagram (Rational Software Modeler v6)

‏2006-04-04T12:03:31Z  
    Hi,

Answer to your 1st issue:
    • right click in the sequence diagram
    • choose 'file'
    • choose 'save file as image'
    then you can choose the extension (gif, jpeg) and save

I hoop this helps you any further

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2006-04-04T15:19:51Z  
    Hi,

Answer to your 1st issue:
    • right click in the sequence diagram
    • choose 'file'
    • choose 'save file as image'
    then you can choose the extension (gif, jpeg) and save

I hoop this helps you any further

oh, many thanks! I coudn't image this way of solving.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2006-04-04T19:07:55Z  
    Hi Alexander,

Your issue #1 has already been answered, so I will skip that...

Issue #2 should have been resolved in the latest version of the tool. You should update... The control for this is part of the preferences where you can select to show either the message or the operation signature.

Issue #3: I can actually change the min and max values of the constraint by clicking on it. What would you like to see?

Currently, it does not appear that we support boolean expressions for this fragment. You could, however, associated a further constraint to the fragment to document the "while" condition. If this functionality is important to you, I would recommend that you contact IBM ustomer support so that appropriate action can be taken and properly followed upon.
    You can do so by one of the methods described on the following page:
    http://www.ibm.com/software/awdtools/modeler/swmodeler/support/index.html

Issue #4: You can create interaction occurrences either to create new interactions or to refer to existing ones.

Issue #5: Neither continuations nor state invariants are currently supported.

Unfortunately, I can not state in an open forum when, or even if, this functionality will be included in a future release of our products. If this functionality is important to you, please contact your IBM sales team who may be able to put in place proper mechanisms, such as non-disclosure agreements (NDA), for more in-depth discussions.

I hope this provides some help.

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2006-04-05T09:54:53Z  
    Hi Alexander,

Your issue #1 has already been answered, so I will skip that...

Issue #2 should have been resolved in the latest version of the tool. You should update... The control for this is part of the preferences where you can select to show either the message or the operation signature.

Issue #3: I can actually change the min and max values of the constraint by clicking on it. What would you like to see?

Currently, it does not appear that we support boolean expressions for this fragment. You could, however, associated a further constraint to the fragment to document the "while" condition. If this functionality is important to you, I would recommend that you contact IBM ustomer support so that appropriate action can be taken and properly followed upon.
    You can do so by one of the methods described on the following page:
    http://www.ibm.com/software/awdtools/modeler/swmodeler/support/index.html

Issue #4: You can create interaction occurrences either to create new interactions or to refer to existing ones.

Issue #5: Neither continuations nor state invariants are currently supported.

Unfortunately, I can not state in an open forum when, or even if, this functionality will be included in a future release of our products. If this functionality is important to you, please contact your IBM sales team who may be able to put in place proper mechanisms, such as non-disclosure agreements (NDA), for more in-depth discussions.

I hope this provides some help.

Many thanks for explanations. I seem to not clearly realize the Issue #4 only.

Sorry, I don't understand even now whether it is possibe to create incoming/outcoming UML 2.0 gates either in scope of interaction occurences (see for example http://alex.pereztchernov.at.tut.by/external/gates.JPG), or in terms of "pure decomposition" (see for example http://alex.pereztchernov.at.tut.by/external/pure_decomposition.JPG)?

My solution to show decomposition notation using notes is too ugly.

> Issue #4: You can create interaction occurrences
    > either to create new interactions or to refer to
    > existing ones.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2006-04-05T14:23:25Z  
    Many thanks for explanations. I seem to not clearly realize the Issue #4 only.

Sorry, I don't understand even now whether it is possibe to create incoming/outcoming UML 2.0 gates either in scope of interaction occurences (see for example http://alex.pereztchernov.at.tut.by/external/gates.JPG), or in terms of "pure decomposition" (see for example http://alex.pereztchernov.at.tut.by/external/pure_decomposition.JPG)?

My solution to show decomposition notation using notes is too ugly.

> Issue #4: You can create interaction occurrences
    > either to create new interactions or to refer to
    > existing ones.
    Hi Alexander,

I am sorry, I missed part of your question.

Neither gates nor interaction occurrences are currently supported. The only "decomposition" method that is currently available is what I describe in my previous answer.