Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-09-18T16:36:38Z by hillanes
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
706 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Keyboard error...

‏2006-03-08T23:41:45Z |
I have a 710 with a graphic card, USB keyboard and mouse attached. Also my laptop have an hyperterminal console session. Before SMS appears, I can see the message "press 0 to select this console" on Hyperterminal, and the system error "AA060007" followed by "press 2 to select this console" on my graphic card, but USB keyboard does not respond so i can't select the graphic console as default forever.

When RHEL4 is running I can see a Xsession, use the USB keyboard to log on a X session without problems, and also use the mouse, so keyboard and USB ports works fine on Linux.

Looking for more info, i found that the system error talks about "A keyboard was not found".

Comparing my 710 with others, i see a graphical boot (whith IBM eServer logo and other info) and SMS, yaboot, and linux console on the graphic card, but not on my 710.

Any idea ?

Thanks for you reply...
Updated on 2009-09-18T16:36:38Z at 2009-09-18T16:36:38Z by hillanes
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Keyboard error...

‏2006-03-09T05:15:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I have seen erratic behavior before when using a spare USB keyboard that was in the lab. But when replaced with a keyboard supported on the 710, I was able to select the console. So I suspect the USB keyboard is not communicating. But let's step through some suggestions:

Please try using the hyperterminal session for SMS, then play with the 'select console' option within SMS.
    1. The 'select console' message comes up when new keyboard, mice or graphics are sensed, including the first time you boot.
    2. I would power off the system. With the Service Processor at standby, (slow blinking green LED on the pull-out Op Panel), use your laptop/hyperterminal session connected to the serial to log in to the ASMI menu. A spacebar should bring up the menu. (factory default login is user: admin and p/w admin, and then it will allow you to change the pw). I use a "minicom" rpm with Linux on my laptop, but hyperterminal should work too.
    3. All that to
    a) ensure you can use the hyperterminal as a console and
    b) if you power on from within the ASMI menu, it will use the hyper terminal as the console, during that one power on.
    When selecting the power on options in ASMI, select 'stop at SMS menu', then remember that 'admin' password for entry when it stops at SMS and prompts you for a password.
    4. Within SMS, you should have a 'select console' option that lets you play with reselecting the hyperterminal console (type '0' on your laptop keyboard) or try using a different USB keyboard to move the SMS and console over to the graphics.
    5. I assume the keyboard is plugged into the integrated USB port on the 710. Sometimes devices are shared through various KVM switches, but it would help to try plugging it directly into the 710.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      706 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-03-09T05:23:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I'd just like to emphasize the suggestion to try another keyboard: I know for sure that some of the pSeries/OpenPower machines are really picky which kind of keyboard you plug in. I know for sure that some third party keyboards (i.e. generic Dell or whatever) will not work on some models (op720/710).
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    706 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-04-20T12:55:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I had the same problem on an OpenPower 720. I tried ps/2 keyboard thru converter and also usb keyboard plugged-in directly. After I upgraded the firmware the error went away and I am able to use the graphics console. I upgraded to the latest level.
  • hillanes
    hillanes
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-18T16:36:38Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I have the same problem. "AA060007" in a JS12 Blade and Blade Center H.
    I tried with a Compaq KVM and a LENOVO USB Keyboard with no results.

Any idea???

We upgrade the MM to the latest version