Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-07-30T11:08:24Z by DarwinSubil
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1525 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic trouble of connecting cloudscape data base sample from RSA class

‏2006-02-08T03:56:18Z |
I have trouble of follow through the example from a RSA class. It came with a readonly cloudscape data base. RSA won't connect to it since it is a readonly one. How do I correct this problem? I tried to use cloudscape 10.1 to create a new database and restoreFrom the readonly database in "ij" tool. I was able to get the database into a derby database. But the RSA was looking for a db2j type. I tried to create a db2j data base, got error that it can not find the db2j service protocol. Does any one know how to get around this problem? Or if anyone has fixed this problem and have a good CloudscapePayroll database?
Updated on 2012-07-30T11:08:24Z at 2012-07-30T11:08:24Z by DarwinSubil
  • Stan
    Stan
    267 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: trouble of connecting cloudscape data base sample from RSA class

‏2006-02-08T17:02:26Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Ghkong -

There are at least two things happening. First the one that has a clear solution: As I think you suspect the error "can not find the db2j service protocol" happens when you attempt to access a Cloudscape database (classname identifier is 'com.ibm.db2j...') using Derby (classname identifier is 'org.apache.derby...'). The two are different products and the Cloudscape database needs to be migrated to derby if you truely want to use it with derby. The IBM Cloudscape Info center has a link to the Migration document and a tool to assist with the migration. See: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cscv/v10r1/index.jsp
    Follow the 'Migration' link in the 'Getting Started' section.

Second the one where I need to make some guesses:
    You should be able to connect to a read-only DB2J database using a db2j.jar assuming it was created to be read-only (for more info see: http://publibfi.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/html/cloud51/doc/html/coredocs/deploy3.htm#807550). Note that the TMP dir and logFile need to be directed to writable locations as shown on the referenced page above.

If this does not resolve your problem I will need some additional information. I am not familiar with the RSA class database, is it supposed to be readonly? Have you checked permissions on the database files and directories to insure you can write to them? I will need to know what error / message you get when you attempt to connect in order to advise you furhter on this problem.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1525 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-02-08T22:43:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I got this cloudscapepayroll.zip file, I unziped, it created a CloudscapePayroll directory with the log and seg0 subdirectories and a service.property file.
    I tried to connect it from RSA, got the error "IWAS0126E error - Container was opened in read only mode" so it would not establish a connection. --- This might be a bug in RSA. I'm having trouble of getting around this problem.
    I looked at the migration website, not sure if that would get me around the problem.
    I looked at the read only website, try to set the location to "jar:(c:\cloudscapepayroll.zip)\CloudscapePayroll" in the Connection URL details, of the database location in the RSA tool, I got an error the "jar:(c:\cloudscapepayroll.zip)\CloudscapePayroll" not found.
    Any idea on how to set it right in RSA?
    Is there an easier way to use ij to fix the problem if I can't get around the problem in RSA?
    • Stan
      Stan
      267 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-02-09T19:32:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Ghkong -
      Yes, you should be able to access the database from IJ assuming it is not corrupted and you have the information required to establish a connection. Cloudscape can be packaged with a number of other technologies and configured in various ways that change how you establish a connection. The RSA database does not appear to be a default implementation (e.g. your last post indicates the database is in a zipfile a read-only configuration). The install guide for the application (the RSA tool?) should provide the information necessary to get the application working. Can the people who created the RSA tool assist you? For me to help you furhter I would need to see the install guide or have details on the RSA implementation. Is this class or the RSA tool available online where I could download it and take a look at it?
    • sanjay_dasgupta
      sanjay_dasgupta
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-11-25T02:23:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi ghkong, I'm trying to find the same payroll database file as well. Can you say where to find it?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1525 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-07-01T05:23:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I had this same problem and searched high and low for a solution. I finally got it to work by doing the following. I created a new cloudscape database, called CloudscapeDavid. I did this by specifying the new name in the wizard and checking the 'Create a New Database'. This created a new cloudscape database and created a new connection to it. I then disconnected this connection.

I then went into the CloudscapeDavid/seg0 directory and deleted all of the files. I then went back into the CloudscapePayroll/seg0 directory, copied all of these files and then pasted them into the CloudscapeDavid/seg0 directory.

I then reconnected to the CloudscapeDavid database and all of the exisitng tables showed up for me. You can also disconnect from the CloudscapeDavid database, delete the old CloudscapePayroll directory (database), change the name of CloudscapeDavid to CloudscapePayroll, change the connection information and then reconnect to the CloudscapePayroll database.

Not sure what the difference is, but it did work.

David Greggs
    • Stan
      Stan
      267 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-07-05T22:17:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi -

It is safest to move or copy the entire Cloudscape database folder. There can be depedancies between the files in the seg0 and the log folders. Copying and renaming the entire database folder tree should not present any problems.
  • DarwinSubil
    DarwinSubil
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-30T11:08:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Please call me at +639077625726. Thanks -- Office mate