Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2008-04-30T16:32:37Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
13279 Posts

Pinned topic IBM Update Express Server

‏2006-01-18T15:47:23Z |
Does anyone have any information regarding a more automated way to deploy firmware/drivers versus the typical manual CD process? I am catching wind of Update Express Server but don't know if this is true or not. Can someone please confirm?
Updated on 2008-04-30T16:32:37Z at 2008-04-30T16:32:37Z by SystemAdmin
  • gmolson
    gmolson
    5 Posts

Re: IBM Update Express Server

‏2006-01-18T16:08:10Z  
    You may also want to investigate the new Software Health Check feature available in 5.10. You can use it to check which systems need certain updates, and then distribute the fixes to a dynamic group that is generated from the check. See the Info Center topic that explains the function in more detail:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/eserver/v1r2/topic/diricinfo/fqm0_t_maintaining_software_health.html
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2006-01-19T14:19:08Z  
    UpdateXpress Server is a method of downloading updates from the web. Once downloaded, you can create distribution packages using IBM Director's Update Assistant (part of the Software Distribution task). For more information on UX Server, refer to http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/xseries/systems_management/ibm_director/extensions/xpress.html.

Craig Elliott
    IBM Advanced Technical Support
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2006-01-20T14:15:03Z  
    UpdateXpress Server is a method of downloading updates from the web. Once downloaded, you can create distribution packages using IBM Director's Update Assistant (part of the Software Distribution task). For more information on UX Server, refer to http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/xseries/systems_management/ibm_director/extensions/xpress.html.

Craig Elliott
    What we truly want is something that works like the "Software Installer" or the "System Update" application for the Lenovo products.

The Update Express Server should be what the "Update Connector 6x Server (SMB Mode)" was, and there should be an Update Express Agent (Director extension).

What is sorely lacking is the version-controll that You have in "Software Installer" and "System Update".

There should be no need to manually do version-checking and build "packages" for each server when IBM allready have tools like the above mentioned that does this elegantly and pain-free.

Of course, the HP SupportTools should be the goal to reach. No agents needed on the server, full versioning, central device/apps-repository etc.

The Update Express Server is less useful than running the "On-line" UpdateXpress CD on each server.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2006-01-24T16:09:53Z  
    What we truly want is something that works like the "Software Installer" or the "System Update" application for the Lenovo products.

The Update Express Server should be what the "Update Connector 6x Server (SMB Mode)" was, and there should be an Update Express Agent (Director extension).

What is sorely lacking is the version-controll that You have in "Software Installer" and "System Update".

There should be no need to manually do version-checking and build "packages" for each server when IBM allready have tools like the above mentioned that does this elegantly and pain-free.

Of course, the HP SupportTools should be the goal to reach. No agents needed on the server, full versioning, central device/apps-repository etc.

The Update Express Server is less useful than running the "On-line" UpdateXpress CD on each server.
    I agree. The Lenovo tools are fantastic, a definate improvement from going to the support sites and trying to determine what's really needed. A server based version that would provide the same functionality for both Servers and workstations would be the bomb!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2006-01-24T16:43:33Z  
    I agree. The Lenovo tools are fantastic, a definate improvement from going to the support sites and trying to determine what's really needed. A server based version that would provide the same functionality for both Servers and workstations would be the bomb!
    agreed, this should have been done before the workstations, our shop was always using the latest UpdateXpress CD on all new Server Builds and anytime we had to flash as Server. Now when we call in for Support the first question is what Bios version are you running, if you don`t have the latest Version the Tech will not help you till after you have flashed the BIOS. Flashing the BIOS has become a real pain as most new Servers don`t have Floppy drives, so we either have to Finish loading the OS, or burn the Firmware to a Boot CD.

We have a major problem with some New X366 servers that were having problems, so we followed our standard and flashed the boxes with UpdateXpress CD, but looking on the IBM website we found out that there were 4 more updates to the BIOS since UpdateXpress Ver 4.02 came out. And the IBM Tech wouldn`t help us with our error until we have updated the firmware.

Please IBM, get UpdateXpress working correctly. We should have an automated way of installing all firmware to a server like using the Updatexpress CD. I`ve tried the UpdateXpress Server editon, it lacks the Automatic install that the CD version has, you have to manually download and install all the updates. I`ve also tried to use the UPdateXpress Live, but it`s not easy manually modifying the ISO image, agian should be automated.

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2007-02-02T19:54:23Z  
    agreed, this should have been done before the workstations, our shop was always using the latest UpdateXpress CD on all new Server Builds and anytime we had to flash as Server. Now when we call in for Support the first question is what Bios version are you running, if you don`t have the latest Version the Tech will not help you till after you have flashed the BIOS. Flashing the BIOS has become a real pain as most new Servers don`t have Floppy drives, so we either have to Finish loading the OS, or burn the Firmware to a Boot CD.

We have a major problem with some New X366 servers that were having problems, so we followed our standard and flashed the boxes with UpdateXpress CD, but looking on the IBM website we found out that there were 4 more updates to the BIOS since UpdateXpress Ver 4.02 came out. And the IBM Tech wouldn`t help us with our error until we have updated the firmware.

Please IBM, get UpdateXpress working correctly. We should have an automated way of installing all firmware to a server like using the Updatexpress CD. I`ve tried the UpdateXpress Server editon, it lacks the Automatic install that the CD version has, you have to manually download and install all the updates. I`ve also tried to use the UPdateXpress Live, but it`s not easy manually modifying the ISO image, agian should be automated.

Will some IBM'er read this! Updating your servers is a pain! FIX IT! please
  • Marshall
    Marshall
    6 Posts

‏2007-02-04T20:13:50Z  
    Will some IBM'er read this! Updating your servers is a pain! FIX IT! please
    Try Director 5.2 (the latest)
    With the new Update Manager you can download all updates for your systems specifically, then using the Health Check option, you can decide which of your systems needs updating.
    Then you can deploy the updates with a drag and drop (dependant on Lvl 2 director agent)
    It is getting much easier I think, although it would be nice if the Software Distribution area could automajically group by model type.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2008-04-30T06:53:12Z  

Craig Elliott
    Craig,

I have a question for you, would you be able to tell me how often does IBM revise the UpdateXpress versions? and is 4.6a the latest version available to download.

Cheers

John
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2008-04-30T16:32:37Z  
    Craig,

I have a question for you, would you be able to tell me how often does IBM revise the UpdateXpress versions? and is 4.6a the latest version available to download.

Cheers

John
    The UpdateXpress CD is released "periodically". Unfortunately, it isn't an a set schedule. v4.06a is the current version.

Moving to the UpdateXpress System Pack Installation, and it's bootable media creation capabilities, will alleviate the currency issue with UXCD.

<hr />
    Craig Elliott