I am facing this problem, please shed some ideas why do we get such error:

Server launched but failed initialization. Server log files should
Updated on 2012-12-13T08:02:16Z at 2012-12-13T08:02:16Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

Re: Server launched but failed initialization. Server log files should

‏2005-08-23T13:25:32Z  
    I'm afraid you are going to have to post a little more information i.e. more detailed error messages, selected snippets from the SystemOut.log etc.

If you are using an external LDAP server such as Domino, is it started ? Have you started the Cloudscape network server (assuming you are using Cloudscape, and not an external database).

Please post more information and we'll try and help further.

Regards

Dave Hay
    david_hay@uk.ibm.com
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2005-09-01T09:56:54Z  
    Hi,

I'm facing the same problem right now.

The starting script tells following:

ADMU3200I: The server starded. Waiting for initialization
    ADMU3011E: The server started but failed to initialize....

The output text isnt exactely the same, because the output is in another language, so I translated it.

Here's a copy of the startServer.log entries:

01.09.05 10:49:54:094 PDT 14781525 ManagerAdmin I TRAS0017I: Der Status des Start-Trace ist *=all=disabled.
    01.09.05 10:49:54:154 PDT 14781525 AdminTool A ADMU3100I: Die Konfiguration des Servers wird gelesen: WebSphere_Portal
    01.09.05 10:50:04:900 PDT 14781525 AdminTool A ADMU3200I: Der Server wurde gestartet. Es wird auf den Initialisierungsstatus gewartet.
    01.09.05 11:01:57:785 PDT 14781525 AdminTool A ADMU3011E: Der Server wurde zwar gestartet, aber die Initialisierung ist fehlgeschlagen. Möglicherweise finden Sie in den Protokolldateien des Servers nähere Informationen zu dem Fehler.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2005-09-01T10:51:05Z  
    Hi,

I'm facing the same problem right now.

The starting script tells following:

ADMU3200I: The server starded. Waiting for initialization
    ADMU3011E: The server started but failed to initialize....

The output text isnt exactely the same, because the output is in another language, so I translated it.

Here's a copy of the startServer.log entries:

01.09.05 10:49:54:094 PDT 14781525 ManagerAdmin I TRAS0017I: Der Status des Start-Trace ist *=all=disabled.
    01.09.05 10:49:54:154 PDT 14781525 AdminTool A ADMU3100I: Die Konfiguration des Servers wird gelesen: WebSphere_Portal
    01.09.05 10:50:04:900 PDT 14781525 AdminTool A ADMU3200I: Der Server wurde gestartet. Es wird auf den Initialisierungsstatus gewartet.
    01.09.05 11:01:57:785 PDT 14781525 AdminTool A ADMU3011E: Der Server wurde zwar gestartet, aber die Initialisierung ist fehlgeschlagen. Möglicherweise finden Sie in den Protokolldateien des Servers nähere Informationen zu dem Fehler.
    Hi Mike

You'll need to give us more information but, on the offchance, did you start the Cloudscape network server before you started Workplace ? I've hit that problem before, when I've used startServer rather than startWorkplaceServices.

Have a trawl through PortalServer/log/SystemOut.log - if you see lots of database-related errors, then Cloudscape is a good bet.

Regards

Dave Hay
    david_hay@uk.ibm.com
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2005-09-01T15:07:16Z  
    Hi Mike

You'll need to give us more information but, on the offchance, did you start the Cloudscape network server before you started Workplace ? I've hit that problem before, when I've used startServer rather than startWorkplaceServices.

Have a trawl through PortalServer/log/SystemOut.log - if you see lots of database-related errors, then Cloudscape is a good bet.

Regards

Dave Hay
    david_hay@uk.ibm.com
    I'm starting the system with the startWorkplaceServices.bat located in the PortalServer directory.
    The starting procedure says that the Cloudscape is already running and then starts with the output I have put in the post before.

Here is what I've found in the ServerStatus.log:

01.09.05 12:44:23:406 PDT 6ac5a270 AdminTool A ADMU0509I: Application Server "WebSphere_Portal" wurde nicht erreicht. Der Server scheint gestoppt worden zu sein.

means in english: App Server "WebSphere_Portal" couldn't be reached. Server seems to be stopped.

could the hostname be a source for this failure? I googled around and found something in this direction?
    How can I start the Web Sphere Server manually?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2005-09-05T05:37:04Z  
    I'm starting the system with the startWorkplaceServices.bat located in the PortalServer directory.
    The starting procedure says that the Cloudscape is already running and then starts with the output I have put in the post before.

Here is what I've found in the ServerStatus.log:

01.09.05 12:44:23:406 PDT 6ac5a270 AdminTool A ADMU0509I: Application Server "WebSphere_Portal" wurde nicht erreicht. Der Server scheint gestoppt worden zu sein.

means in english: App Server "WebSphere_Portal" couldn't be reached. Server seems to be stopped.

could the hostname be a source for this failure? I googled around and found something in this direction?
    How can I start the Web Sphere Server manually?
    Mike

On its own, this message doesn't tell us WHY the server cannot be reached. Please can you (a) ensure that the servers are stopped using the stopWorkplaceServices script (b) clear the contents of the PortalServer/log directory (c) start the server using startWorkplaceServer and (d) post the entire SystemOut.log.

Regards

Dave Hay
    david_hay@uk.ibm.com
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2005-09-27T21:53:13Z  
    Mike

On its own, this message doesn't tell us WHY the server cannot be reached. Please can you (a) ensure that the servers are stopped using the stopWorkplaceServices script (b) clear the contents of the PortalServer/log directory (c) start the server using startWorkplaceServer and (d) post the entire SystemOut.log.

Regards

Dave Hay
    david_hay@uk.ibm.com
    I got the same problem.
    The activity log said:

• Begin backtrace for nested exception
    COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2Exception: IBMJDBC Driver CLI0600E Invalid connection handle or connection is closed. SQLSTATE=S1000
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.SQLExceptionGenerator.check_return_code(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Connection.connect(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Connection.<init>(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2ReusableConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)(Inlined Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2PooledConnection.getConnection(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XAConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource.getXAConnection(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource.getXAConnection(Unknown Source)(Inlined Compiled Code)
    at com.ibm.ws.rsadapter.DSConfigurationHelper$1.run(DSConfigurationHelper.java(Compiled Code))
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at com.ibm.ws.rsadapter.DS

Is there anyone know what is the error means, please help me fix this error, thanks a million.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2005-10-07T04:28:55Z  
    I got the same problem.
    The activity log said:

• Begin backtrace for nested exception
    COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2Exception: IBMJDBC Driver CLI0600E Invalid connection handle or connection is closed. SQLSTATE=S1000
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.SQLExceptionGenerator.check_return_code(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Connection.connect(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Connection.<init>(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2ReusableConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)(Inlined Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2PooledConnection.getConnection(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XAConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource.getXAConnection(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
    at COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2XADataSource.getXAConnection(Unknown Source)(Inlined Compiled Code)
    at com.ibm.ws.rsadapter.DSConfigurationHelper$1.run(DSConfigurationHelper.java(Compiled Code))
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at com.ibm.ws.rsadapter.DS

Is there anyone know what is the error means, please help me fix this error, thanks a million.
    Well I faced the same problem for the past few days, but it works fine now. I don't know why, but i will let u know soon
    cheers,
    Venky
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2005-10-07T05:36:34Z  
    Well I faced the same problem for the past few days, but it works fine now. I don't know why, but i will let u know soon
    cheers,
    Venky
    Ok simple, the server1 doesn't start cos it needs cloudscape.
    Solutions:
    {WSE_DIR}\PortalServer\rootscripts\subtasks>startnetworkserver

and then start server1
    It should work
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2005-10-31T16:08:28Z  
    Solutions:

and then start server1
    It should work
    I am new to websphere. i just installed WAS6. when i run ivt tool using #./ivt.sh server1 default I get an error as ADMU3200I: Server launched. Waiting for initialization status.
    ADMU3011E: Server launched but failed initialization. Server log files should contain failure information.

Also I Started networkserver (in cloudscape directory) before starting WAS
    cd /opt/IBM/WebSphere6/AppServer/cloudscape/bin/networkServer/
    1. ./startNetworkServer.sh

still I am getting the same error for initialization when i ran ivt.sh again.

(1). I don't know what is cloudscape, do I need some kind of configuration before running # ./startNetworkServer.sh
    (2). What can I do so that I don't get initilization error
    Thanks

Anurag
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2005-11-16T15:22:59Z  
    I'm afraid you are going to have to post a little more information i.e. more detailed error messages, selected snippets from the SystemOut.log etc.

If you are using an external LDAP server such as Domino, is it started ? Have you started the Cloudscape network server (assuming you are using Cloudscape, and not an external database).

Please post more information and we'll try and help further.

Regards

Dave Hay
    david_hay@uk.ibm.com
    I was able to find the solution, it was simply a name resolution issue. host file in system was refering to some other server.

thanks
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2005-11-17T19:27:23Z  
    I am new to websphere. i just installed WAS6. when i run ivt tool using #./ivt.sh server1 default I get an error as ADMU3200I: Server launched. Waiting for initialization status.
    ADMU3011E: Server launched but failed initialization. Server log files should contain failure information.

(1). I don't know what is cloudscape, do I need some kind of configuration before running # ./startNetworkServer.sh
    Thanks

Anurag
    Hi

You'll need to post a little more information from the actual log files. Please can you: -

• backup -or- clear the log files in /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/logs
    • run the IVT test again

Once you've done that, please review SystemOut.log and SystemErr.log in the same logs directory, and post any relevant messages.

With regard to Cloudscape, as far as I am aware, you'd only need to start the server ( using startNetworkServer ) if your application requires a local database ( although I've not yet done much work with WAS v6 ).

PS There is a specific WAS forum at: -

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_forum.jsp?forum=266&cat=9

in case it helps.

Regards

Dave Hay
    david_hay@uk.ibm.com
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2006-06-30T11:57:27Z  
    Solutions:

and then start server1
    It should work
    venky,

I am facing the same problem.. could you please elaborate where do make the change you are sugegsting.. ?

thanks a lot in advance

Vijay
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2006-09-23T00:17:10Z  
    Hi

You'll need to post a little more information from the actual log files. Please can you: -

• backup -or- clear the log files in /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/logs
    • run the IVT test again

Once you've done that, please review SystemOut.log and SystemErr.log in the same logs directory, and post any relevant messages.

With regard to Cloudscape, as far as I am aware, you'd only need to start the server ( using startNetworkServer ) if your application requires a local database ( although I've not yet done much work with WAS v6 ).

PS There is a specific WAS forum at: -

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_forum.jsp?forum=266&cat=9

in case it helps.

Regards

Dave Hay
    david_hay@uk.ibm.com
    My websphere 6.1 was doing the exact same thing, refusing to start and then not having any output in any logfiles. I edited the server config xml so it didn't restrict access to the internal classfiles and now everything works again. HTH
  • JasonZhao
    JasonZhao
    1 Post

‏2006-09-30T05:19:16Z  
    My websphere 6.1 was doing the exact same thing, refusing to start and then not having any output in any logfiles. I edited the server config xml so it didn't restrict access to the internal classfiles and now everything works again. HTH
    Hello b0b0b0b,
    Can you elaborate it a bit please? I'm strugging with the same problem on WAS6.1 on Linux.
    Thank you.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2007-02-26T10:55:14Z  
    venky,

I am facing the same problem.. could you please elaborate where do make the change you are sugegsting.. ?

thanks a lot in advance

Vijay
    Try this way:
    1, open file server.xml at [b]C:\WCToolkitEE60\wasprofile\config\cells\localhost\nodes\localhost\servers[server instant][/b]
    2, find for tag code<jvmEntries>[/code]
    3, replace current configed with
    code
    <jvmEntries debugArgs="-Dcom.ibm.ws.classloader.j9enabled=true -Xj9 -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=7777" debugMode="true" genericJvmArguments="-Xquickstart" hprofArguments="" runHProf="false" verboseModeClass="false" verboseModeGarbageCollection="false" verboseModeJNI="false" xmi:id="JavaVirtualMachine_1156908885720">
    <systemProperties name="com.ibm.wca.logging.configFile" required="true" value="C:/WCTOOL~1/conf/xml/loader/WCALoggerConfig.xml" xmi:id="Property_1155546728608"/>
    <systemProperties name="com.ibm.websphere.ejbcontainer.FbpkAlwaysReadOnly" required="true" value="true" xmi:id="Property_1155546728623"/>
    <systemProperties name="com.ibm.commerce.dynacache.decrypt" required="true" value="false" xmi:id="Property_1155546728655"/>
    <systemProperties name="com.ibm.servlet.file.esi.timeOut" required="true" value="0" xmi:id="Property_1155546728670"/>
    </jvmEntries>
    [/code]
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2007-09-18T13:31:13Z  
    venky,

thanks a lot in advance

Vijay
    I am installing WAS6.0 on an AIX5.3 machine and getting the same err
    ">ADMU3011E Server launched but failed initialization. Server log files shoult contain failure information"

I have started network server from
    /usr/WebSphere/AppServer/cloudscape/bin/networkServer/startNetworkServer.sh

Find SystemOut.log in the attachment :

Updated on 2007-09-18T13:31:13Z at 2007-09-18T13:31:13Z by SystemAdmin
  • DavidNixon
    DavidNixon
    21 Posts

‏2007-09-18T14:25:20Z  

Thanks

Anurag
    Workplace Services Express does not support WAS 6.1.
    The WAS 6.1 questions here should be reported to the WAS forum. You will get better support there.
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_forum.jsp?forum=266&cat=9
  • DavidNixon
    DavidNixon
    21 Posts

‏2007-09-18T14:26:06Z  
    I am installing WAS6.0 on an AIX5.3 machine and getting the same err
    ">ADMU3011E Server launched but failed initialization. Server log files shoult contain failure information"

I have started network server from
    /usr/WebSphere/AppServer/cloudscape/bin/networkServer/startNetworkServer.sh

Find SystemOut.log in the attachment :

Workplace Services Express does not support WAS 6.0.
    The WAS 6.0 questions here should be reported to the WAS forum. You will get better support there.
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_forum.jsp?forum=266&cat=9
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2010-03-19T12:42:44Z  
    Step to resolve the "ADMU3011E" error.

Solution for windows-XP
    Let WPS_HOME = C:\IBM\WebSphere

Step (1): Go to command prompt
    Step (2): cd <WPS_HOME>\wp_profile\bin
    Step (3): execute file "osgiCfgInit.bat" at command prompt

Now, start server using startServer.bat

Step (4): startServer.bat WebSphere_Portal -user wpsadmin -password wpsadmin

serverName : WebSphere_Portal
    userName : wpsadmin
    password : wpsadmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2012-12-13T07:56:03Z  
    I was able to find the solution, it was simply a name resolution issue. host file in system was refering to some other server.

thanks
    Thnx, U hit the point!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2012-12-13T08:01:15Z  

thanks
    Thnx, U hit the point,
    incorrect hostname.. do I fixed "/etc/hosts" and now it works!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2583 Posts

‏2012-12-13T08:02:16Z  

thanks
    Thnx, U hit the point,
    incorrect hostname.. so I fixed "/etc/hosts" and now it works!