• 15 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-10-25T17:37:24Z by MKJ747
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
47283 Posts

Pinned topic mvfs error 12004

‏2005-07-05T15:23:39Z |
Hello everyone,
For the past three days we have been expiriencing problems whith some of our ClearCase vobs.
Whenever we "navigate" to a directory ClearCase clients appear to freeze and the following errors are logged in the client´s mfvs log:

cleartext lookup view=asc0099NAS_Facturacao6.0.1_int@@ vob=\FacturacaoPbl dbid=0x7da7 - error 12004

cleartext pname= \Device\Mup\ascappbol001\CC_Edsys_Storage\Vobs\FacturacaoPbl.vbs\c\cdft\28\3a\610ad0e884aa47e8b99c0ddcafde4fb3

I haven´t found out what error 12004 means, and I don´t have a clue about the source of this problem.
Can you help me please?

Thank you,
Nuno Santo
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

Re: mvfs error 12004

‏2005-10-25T07:25:04Z  
    Hello,

We just started experiencing the same thing tonight. I'm researching with no luck so far.

-=randy
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

Vedr.:Re: mvfs error 12004

‏2005-10-25T11:35:21Z  
    Hello,

We just started experiencing the same thing tonight. I'm researching with no luck so far.

-=randy
    Search support for "opportunistic locks"

Jens Brejner
    rmahaffey <disadmin@us.ibm.com>
    Sendt af: owner-cciug@lists.us.ibm.com
    25-10-2005 09:25
    Besvar venligst til
    cciug@lists.us.ibm.com
    Til
    cciug@lists.us.ibm.com
    cc

Emne
    cciug Re: mvfs error 12004
    Hello,

We just started experiencing the same thing tonight. I'm researching with
    no luck so far.

-=randy
    <============================================================
    To unsubscribe, send email to
    majordomo@lists.us.ibm.com and put these words in the
    message body: unsubscribe cciug
    ============================================================>
    http://att1.html
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

Re: Vedr.:Re: mvfs error 12004

‏2005-10-26T06:11:03Z  
    Search support for "opportunistic locks"

Jens Brejner
    rmahaffey <disadmin@us.ibm.com>
    Sendt af: owner-cciug@lists.us.ibm.com
    25-10-2005 09:25
    Besvar venligst til
    cciug@lists.us.ibm.com
    Til
    cciug@lists.us.ibm.com
    cc

Emne
    cciug Re: mvfs error 12004
    Hello,

We just started experiencing the same thing tonight. I'm researching with
    no luck so far.

-=randy
    http://att1.html
    Thanks for your reply, unfortunately that solution does not apply to our configuration.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

‏2005-12-20T07:10:15Z  
    Thanks for your reply, unfortunately that solution does not apply to our configuration.
    Just curious if anyone has found a possible resolution to this issue. I thought I had eliminated the issue by turning off Norton's real-time file protection on the view and vob store directories on the server as well as the build drive on the build machine. Our builds ran without a hitch for a few days but this must have been a fluke.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

‏2006-01-04T19:11:26Z  
    Just curious if anyone has found a possible resolution to this issue. I thought I had eliminated the issue by turning off Norton's real-time file protection on the view and vob store directories on the server as well as the build drive on the build machine. Our builds ran without a hitch for a few days but this must have been a fluke.
    hello,

Unfortunately I do not have a solution for you. However, I am helping a customer with this same issue.

At this customer, they had issues where opening a directory would cause hangs. These hangs always seemed to generate 12004 errors.

We have NOT resolved this issue yet and I am working with out tech support on this. Below is what I have found out so far about this issue and what we have done.

1) 12004 mvfs errors apparently point to file contention issue. The exact source of the contention is unclear to me at this time.

2) I still don't know who is fighting over the files or even what files are being fought over.

3) Because 12004 is a file contention issue, virus scanning software is often the problem. In our case, the client has double and triple checked that they are taking Rational's guidelines on virus scanning.

4) Opportunistic locking also seems to be an issue with 12004 errors. We have turned of opportunistic locking on the view server but that did not seem to fix the issue at all. I currently have open questions on where opportunistic locking should be turned off. We only turned it off on the view server.
    I would like to contact you directly on this issue but I don't know how to do that through this forum. Posting emails probably isn't a good idea since these are open forums. Do you have a PMR open on this issue? If so what number is it?
    Andy
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

‏2006-01-04T20:41:22Z  
    hello,

Unfortunately I do not have a solution for you. However, I am helping a customer with this same issue.

At this customer, they had issues where opening a directory would cause hangs. These hangs always seemed to generate 12004 errors.

We have NOT resolved this issue yet and I am working with out tech support on this. Below is what I have found out so far about this issue and what we have done.

1) 12004 mvfs errors apparently point to file contention issue. The exact source of the contention is unclear to me at this time.

2) I still don't know who is fighting over the files or even what files are being fought over.

3) Because 12004 is a file contention issue, virus scanning software is often the problem. In our case, the client has double and triple checked that they are taking Rational's guidelines on virus scanning.

4) Opportunistic locking also seems to be an issue with 12004 errors. We have turned of opportunistic locking on the view server but that did not seem to fix the issue at all. I currently have open questions on where opportunistic locking should be turned off. We only turned it off on the view server.
    I would like to contact you directly on this issue but I don't know how to do that through this forum. Posting emails probably isn't a good idea since these are open forums. Do you have a PMR open on this issue? If so what number is it?
    Andy
    Hello Andy,

No, I do not have an open PMR regarding this issue. You can shoot me an e-mail at randy.mahaffey@hp.com

-=randy
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

‏2006-02-15T17:39:58Z  
    Hello Andy,

No, I do not have an open PMR regarding this issue. You can shoot me an e-mail at randy.mahaffey@hp.com

-=randy
    If any resolution or progress has been made on this issue, please update this topic, as it appears that I am in the same boat.
    TIA
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

RE:Re: Vedr.:Re: mvfs error 12004

‏2006-02-15T19:43:45Z  
    If any resolution or progress has been made on this issue, please update this topic, as it appears that I am in the same boat.
    TIA
    The "mvfs error 12004" stopped showing up after disabling opportunistic
    locking not just on the view server but also on the VOB server.

Thanks,

Boyd

-----Original Message-----
    From: owner-cciug@lists.us.ibm.com mailto:owner-cciug@lists.us.ibm.com
    On Behalf Of BrianBevers
    Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 12:40 PM
    To: cciug@lists.us.ibm.com
    Subject: cciug Re: Vedr.:Re: mvfs error 12004

If any resolution or progress has been made on this issue, please update
    this topic, as it appears that I am in the same boat.
    TIA
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

‏2006-02-15T20:09:44Z  
    TIA
    Sorry for the late reply on this thread. In our particular case, this issue was resolved by turning off opportunistic locking on both the View and the VOB servers.

To learn about opportunistic locking, please see this Microsoft KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=296264

Note that when working with IBM tech support on this issue, the guidance for testing if opportunistic locking was the culprit was to turn it off and see if the problem goes away.

Please note that many things could contribute to a 12004 error. The two big culprits seem to be impropery configured virus scanning solutions and opportunisitc locking. In our case, it was opportunistic locking.

Andy
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

‏2006-02-15T20:16:43Z  
    Sorry for the late reply on this thread. In our particular case, this issue was resolved by turning off opportunistic locking on both the View and the VOB servers.

To learn about opportunistic locking, please see this Microsoft KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=296264

Note that when working with IBM tech support on this issue, the guidance for testing if opportunistic locking was the culprit was to turn it off and see if the problem goes away.

Please note that many things could contribute to a 12004 error. The two big culprits seem to be impropery configured virus scanning solutions and opportunisitc locking. In our case, it was opportunistic locking.

Andy
    Thanks much Andy and Boyd.
    I am suggesting that we test these fixes on our clearcase test server.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

‏2006-02-15T20:30:51Z  
    Thanks much Andy and Boyd.
    I am suggesting that we test these fixes on our clearcase test server.
    By the way, in case the microsoft documentation doesn't mention it, you will need to reboot the servers for this setting to take affect.
    Andy
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

‏2008-04-17T21:20:09Z  
    By the way, in case the microsoft documentation doesn't mention it, you will need to reboot the servers for this setting to take affect.
    Andy
    We have a build machine runing Windows XP sp2 and vob servers running Windows 2003 all running clearcase 6.16 and we have had this problem going back about three years. We had hoped disabling the oplocks from our view servers and vob servers would fix it and I believe it helped.

However, we have to live with omake errors that seem to always correspond to mvfs error 12004. It is very frustrating.

If there is a definitive root cause and something we can do please let me know. All our hosts (which are XP except for the vob servers) have these registry settings:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters
    "EnableOplockForceClose"=dword:00000001
    "EnableOplocks"=dword:00000000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanWorkstation\parameters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRxSmb\Parameters
    "OplocksDisabled"=dword:00000001
  • jeff98air
    jeff98air
    817 Posts

‏2008-04-17T22:33:56Z  
    We have a build machine runing Windows XP sp2 and vob servers running Windows 2003 all running clearcase 6.16 and we have had this problem going back about three years. We had hoped disabling the oplocks from our view servers and vob servers would fix it and I believe it helped.

However, we have to live with omake errors that seem to always correspond to mvfs error 12004. It is very frustrating.

If there is a definitive root cause and something we can do please let me know. All our hosts (which are XP except for the vob servers) have these registry settings:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanWorkstation\parameters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRxSmb\Parameters
    "OplocksDisabled"=dword:00000001
    Just curious, are you running McAfee Virus Scan on the build host? If so, what version and patch level? Last November (2007) we suddenly started getting very intermittent MVFS errors in clearmake on our Win Server 2003 Enterprise Ed. build server. It was very frustrating and I spent a lot of time debugging (including contacting RATL TechSupp and sending tons of debug output) before finding out that IT had pushed an upgrade to McAfee VirusScan about the time we started getting the errors. In our case, the problem was due to VS 8.5.0i (not sure which patch). I reverted back to VS 8.0.0-patch 15 and the problems disappeared.

One thing to note: We still have 8.5.0i installed on different Windows build servers that are running dynamic views just fine, but they are not running clearmake.

-Jeff Ng
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

‏2008-04-24T15:37:40Z  
    • jeff98air
    • ‏2008-04-17T22:33:56Z
    Just curious, are you running McAfee Virus Scan on the build host? If so, what version and patch level? Last November (2007) we suddenly started getting very intermittent MVFS errors in clearmake on our Win Server 2003 Enterprise Ed. build server. It was very frustrating and I spent a lot of time debugging (including contacting RATL TechSupp and sending tons of debug output) before finding out that IT had pushed an upgrade to McAfee VirusScan about the time we started getting the errors. In our case, the problem was due to VS 8.5.0i (not sure which patch). I reverted back to VS 8.0.0-patch 15 and the problems disappeared.

One thing to note: We still have 8.5.0i installed on different Windows build servers that are running dynamic views just fine, but they are not running clearmake.

-Jeff Ng
    Our organization does use McAfee however because of problems (not least a kernel memory non-paged pool memory leak) we removed it a couple years ago from our build machines and are still are not using it on the build machine.
  • MKJ747
    MKJ747
    4 Posts

‏2011-10-25T17:37:24Z  
    Our organization does use McAfee however because of problems (not least a kernel memory non-paged pool memory leak) we removed it a couple years ago from our build machines and are still are not using it on the build machine.
    We have experienced this problem extensively also and I believe the problem is caused by AV On Access scanning that is taking place in the cleartext pool of the VOB. The problem is that any machine that is running On Access scanning and that can get into the repository can cause this problem. Therefore, removing it from the VOB server, View server and build machines is not enough. You need to stop on access scanning on any CC client that has remote access to the CC repository. In theory, it only takes one scanning process to cause the problem, and any view that tries to see these files while the contention is happening will suffer performance problems until the contention resolves itself.

Creating global exclusions to the UNC paths and the MVFS drive that lead to the repository is not enough because this does not account for the UNC path of \\view which can only be see on the clients (where the scanning is coming from).

Does anyone on this thread have an update to their experience with this issue or have any comments to this theory?