Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
15 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-08-19T11:52:51Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1215 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic JVM Terminated. Exit Code=1

‏2004-07-07T10:21:58Z |
Hi,
I am using WSAD 5.1, recently we have started using IISOB as our code repository. To configure the WSAD workbench, we are using JDK1.4.1. The parameters supplied by me in the properties of the shortcut on my desktop is:
C:\WSAD5.1\wsappdev.exe -vm C:\Java141\bin\javaw.exe -data C:\WSAD5.1\WORKSPACE\eSupport-IISOB , where eSupport-IISOB, is the name of the folder which will have my application code checked out from the repository. I am using Windows XP 32-bit OS. Once is click on the shortcut icon on my desktop I am prompted with the following pop-up
JVM Terminated. Exit Code=1
C:\Java141\bin\javaw.exe
-Xms64M
-Xdebug
-Xj9
-Xprod
-cp C:\WSAD5.1\.\eclipse\startup.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main
-os win32
-ws win32
-arch x86
-showsplash C:\WSAD5.1\.\eclipse\eclipse.exe -showsplash 600
-data C:\WSAD5.1\WORKSPACE\eSupport-IISOB

Please help, by responding at muditkapoor@in.ibm.com.
Updated on 2009-08-19T11:52:51Z at 2009-08-19T11:52:51Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1215 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: JVM Terminated. Exit Code=1

‏2004-07-19T20:56:58Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    hello.
    I am experiencing the same problem you were. Could you let me know if you fixed it and what was the resolution? Thanks,
    tudor
    tudorsaru@yahoo.com
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1215 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2004-09-27T09:00:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      hello.
      I am experiencing the same problem you were. Could you Pls let me know after you fixed it and what was the envi to change? Latha
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        1215 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2005-05-08T21:24:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I tracked this down:
        https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=34940
        Nasty business.

Finally I had to install JDK 1.5. Studying the abovementioned linked bug report you might assume that JDK 1.4.1 would solve the problem as well but it doesn't (at least on my PC + Eclipse 2.1).

After setting JAVAHOME and PATH, eclipse started.

Enjoy.

> hello.
        > I am experiencing the same problem you were. Could
        > you Pls let me know after you fixed it and what was
        > the envi to change? Latha
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          1215 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: JVM Terminated. Exit Code=1 SOLVED - eclipse.ini file double initializing the JVM eclipse.exe

‏2006-12-27T04:28:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin

I managed to fix it after my installation. I just cleared out the contents of the eclipse.ini file. With the eclipse.ini file flushed out, I could start the tool.

I documented my experience at the JavaRanch:

http://saloon.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=004485

A small bump in the road. Have fun with IRAD 7!

-Cameron McKenzie
          Author of What is WebSphere?

Free IRAD 7, WebSphere, Java and J2EE Tutorials: http://www.mcnz.com
          Free Java Certification Mock Exams: http://www.scja.com
          Free WebSphere Tutorials: http://www.pulpjava.com
          Symptom:

When starting IBM's Rational Application Developer (IRAD 7) using eclipse.exe, you get the following error:

JVM terminated. Exid code=1
          C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP70\jdk\jre\bin\javaw.exe
          -Xquickstart
          -Xms512m
          -Xmx1024m
          -Xgcpolicy:gencon
          -Xsharedclasses:singleJVM,keep
          -Xnolinenumbers
          -XX:MaxPermSize=1024
          blah...blah...blas

Problem: eclipse.ini file duplicates entries

Quick fix: backup the eclipse.ini file
          Proper fix: call IBM support and follow thier instructions
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            1215 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: JVM Terminated. Exit Code=1 SOLVED - eclipse.ini file double initializing the JVM eclipse.exe

‏2007-01-17T20:33:38Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            It seems that there are various causes to this problem. I have experienced this problem twice, and deleting eclipse.ini did not help.
            In my case, I use eclipse for developing in java/struts/jsp's. In both cases, closing down eclipse while there is still an editor open with a java or jsp file, was causing the problem. Eclipse tries to restore the workbench by loading the files which you had open in the workbench at the moment of closing eclipse down last time. When this causes any problem, for some reason, eclipse terminates with the exit error just after it opened its editors with your java or jsp files.

Eclipse saves the workbench status at the moment of closing to a file, and reads this file when starting up again. So the sollution is simple: edit this file, and remove all open editor entries from it.
            This file can be found in your workspace directory/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.ui.workbench/workbench.xml
            This is a xml file, but you can edit it with any texteditor, even notepad will do. You go to the <editor> tags, which look something like <editor id="..." name="..." etc etc.> The name attribute shows the name of the file which was open in the eclipse workbench at the time of closing down eclipse. Just delete all the editor tags and their child tags. (be sure to have a backup of this xml file, in case you make a mistake).

Restarting eclipse should have the workspace restored normally, except of course for the files you had open in any editor.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            1215 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-01-17T20:35:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            It seems that there are various causes to this problem. I have experienced this problem twice, and deleting eclipse.ini did not help.
            In my case, I use eclipse for developing in java/struts/jsp's. In both cases, closing down eclipse while there is still an editor open with a java or jsp file, was causing the problem. Eclipse tries to restore the workbench by loading the files which you had open in the workbench at the moment of closing eclipse down last time. When this causes any problem, for some reason, eclipse terminates with the exit error just after it opened its editors with your java or jsp files.

Eclipse saves the workbench status at the moment of closing to a file, and reads this file when starting up again. So the sollution is simple: edit this file, and remove all open editor entries from it.
            This file can be found in your workspace directory/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.ui.workbench/workbench.xml
            This is a xml file, but you can edit it with any texteditor, even notepad will do. You go to the <editor> tags, which look something like <editor id="..." name="..." etc etc.> The name attribute shows the name of the file which was open in the eclipse workbench at the time of closing down eclipse. Just delete all the editor tags and their child tags. (be sure to have a backup of this xml file, in case you make a mistake).

Restarting eclipse should have the workspace restored normally, except of course for the files you had open in any editor.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            1215 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-08-22T15:47:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            I was facing this problem while running RAD7.0,

just deleted contents of eclipse.ini file (C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP70)

and it worked.

But while working on the project it gave frequent outof memory error
          • JasonEAMarston
            JasonEAMarston
            1 Post
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-09-24T08:38:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            I recently had this same problem with an installation that had been working for a long long time.

I took the advice on clearing out the eclipse.ini file but this introduced probles

I then added each line back in one at a time and found this line was causing the issue

-Xshareclasses:singleJVM,keep

The really strange thing is the ini files on my customers other installations are identical and work with this line in.

Regards,

Jason.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            1215 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-19T11:52:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            thank you for your directions! I was receiving the same jvm error suddenly with MyHelp and I just deleted the myhelp.ini file and it was restored!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1215 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-08-04T12:32:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

Iam also getting the same problem. I am working on FLEX and Eclipse. In both situations I am getting this problem.
    ----------ECLIPSE-----------------------------------
    JVM terminated. Exit code=1
    C:\WINNT\system32\javaw.exe
    -Xms40m
    -Xms256m
    -jar D:\eclipse-SDK-3.2-win32\eclipse\startup.jar
    -os win32
    -ws win32
    -arch x86
    -launcher D:\eclipse-SDK-3.2-win32\eclipse\eclipse.exe
    -name Eclipse
    -showsplash 600
    -exitdata 434_50
    -vm C:\WINNT\system32\javaw.exe
    -vmags
    -Xms40m
    -Xms256m
    -jar D:\eclipse-SDK-3.2-win32\eclipse\startup.jar

------------FlexBuilder------------------------------
    JVM terminated. Exit code=1
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 2 Beta 2\jre\bin\javaw.exe
    -Xms256M
    -Xms512M
    -jar C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 2 Beta 2\startup.jar
    -os win32
    -ws win32
    -arch x86
    -launcher C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 2 Beta 2\FlexBuilder.exe
    -name Eclipse
    -showsplash 600
    -exitdata 434_50
    -vm C:\WINNT\system32\javaw.exe
    -vmags
    -Xms40m
    -Xms256m
    -jar C:\Program Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 2 Beta 2\startup.jar

• SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1215 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-12-27T04:31:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Notice the multiple entries regarding the C:\Prog....\javaw.exe

Why is the javaw.exe in there twice? It's getting put in there a second time by the eclipse.ini file - at least that's my assumption.

Clear out the eclipse.ini file. It's documented here:

http://saloon.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=004485

-Cameron McKenzie
      Author of What is WebSphere?

Free WebSphere, Portal and IRAD Tutorials: http://www.mcnz.com
      Free Java Certification (SCJA) Mock Exams: http://www.scja.com
      Free WebSphere Tutorials: http://www.pulpjava.com
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1215 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-03-22T03:53:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

Refer the solution @IBM support. This works.

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=2044&context=SSCM72&dc=DB520&uid=swg21255195&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=en&rss=ct2044rational

Good Luck!!
    Partha.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1215 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-12-26T21:03:04Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    One of our developers found that another possible cause of this problem is having the Mercury Test Toolset installed on your workstation. Mercury adds these two environment variables:
    _JAVA_OPTIONS
    IBM_JAVA_OPTIONS

When Mercury was uninstalled it did not remove these two variables and from then on, neither RAD nor Eclipse would start. Deleting both of these environment variables fixed the problem.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1215 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-12-11T17:04:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I got the same error message and solved it by starting eclipse with the -clean parameter. Once started, remove the -clean parameter.

I'm guessing it's similar as clearing your eclipse.ini file.

I got the clue from Eclipse Web Tooling Platform
    ...you'll need to launch eclipse with the -clean flag to allow the environment to detect the new plugins. Subsequent launching of eclipse won't require the -clean flag.

Good luck!
    Pat