Topic
30 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-01-11T07:19:21Z by acmohan
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1215 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Need Help for "org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge" problem

‏2004-06-08T02:54:09Z |
Dear friends,

I'm using WSAD5.1.1 to develop a Session Bean. In side it, there is a method
which will return a WDO DataObject. When call from EJB Local Interface,
everything is ok. But when call from EJB Remote Interface, I got following
exception:

java.rmi.MarshalException: CORBA MARSHAL 0x4942f896 No; nested exception
is:
org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge : null
vmcid: IBM minor code: 896 completed: No
at
com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.UtilDelegateImpl.mapSystemException(UtilDelegateImpl.java
:198)
at javax.rmi.CORBA.Util.mapSystemException(Util.java:83)
at com.ibm.rmi.util.ProxyUtil.copyObject(ProxyUtil.java:463)
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.UtilDelegateImpl.copyObject(UtilDelegateImpl.java:789)
at javax.rmi.CORBA.Util.copyObject(Util.java:332)
at
com.ibm.cigna.addRequest.session._AddRequestService_Stub.findData(_AddReques
tService_Stub.java:480)
Since I'm using EJB client to test it, I think the client and server use
same JVM. I also check the WDO DataObject and make sure it is serializable.
The test server that I'm using is WAS 5.1 test environment.

I'm almost crazy for this problem since I can do nothing now.

Any suggestion will be great help for me.

Thank you in advance.

Updated on 2012-01-11T07:19:21Z at 2012-01-11T07:19:21Z by acmohan
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1215 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Need Help for "org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge" problem

‏2004-06-24T12:09:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I have exactly the same problem. I'm trying to access EJBs from remote clients. I have this problem also when I'm trying to access an EJB from inside of the WebSphere (another EJB), with the difference that the minor code is then 89A instead of 896.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1215 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Need Help for "org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge" problem

‏2004-07-23T06:25:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I also encountered the same problem when trying to call an remote EJB's method. the minor code is 896. I am using WSAD 5.1.2 and testing on the integrated test server of version 5.1.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        1215 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2004-07-30T16:21:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I also have same problem. Calling remote CMP EJB custom finder mathod from a Java client program. WAS version is WAS 5.1. Your help is appreciated
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          1215 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2004-08-11T21:43:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          I have the same problem using WSAD IE 5.1.0. Strange thing is the method I am calling actually completes its task other than returning. My method inserts a row in a db table...and I see it after I get the exception.

Must mean the problem is on the return. Has anyone opened a PMR on this? Any help appreciated.

Thanks Tim
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            1215 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2004-08-17T07:58:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hello, I met the same case with WSAD 5.1.1 and WAS 5.1. For me the problem was that I had a bean with serialisable interface used by servlet and EJB, and his array of paradigm didn't contain a possible value. When the case of this value appended, I had the following exception from the readResolve object:
            java.rmi.ServerException: RemoteException occurred in server thread; nested exception is:
            java.rmi.MarshalException: CORBA MARSHAL 0x4942f896 No; nested exception is:
            org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge : null vmcid: IBM minor code: 896 completed: No
            at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.UtilDelegateImpl.wrapException(UtilDelegateImpl.java:690)
            at javax.rmi.CORBA.Util.wrapException(Util.java:295)
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              1215 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2004-11-16T06:11:54Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Good Day,

I getting the same error when calling a Session Bean that hase method with the following signature

public void doSomeWork(Collection items) {
              //do something
              }

The items in the collection implement Serializable.

java.rmi.MarshalException: CORBA MARSHAL 0x4942f89a No; nested exception is:
              org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL:

Trace from server: 1198777258 at host localhost >>
              org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge : Mismatched serialization UIDs : Source (Rep. IDRMI:java.util.ArrayList:F655154F32815380:7881D21D99C7619D) = 7881D21D99C7619D whereas Target (Rep. ID RMI:com.domain.SomeTO:434B6727D8EE661F:29F4F7A063A69853) = 29F4F7A063A69853 vmcid: IBM minor code: 89A completed: No
              at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.CDRInputStream.read_value(CDRInputStream.java:1764)
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        1215 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2005-08-11T16:47:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Most likely the object that the remote ejb client trying to marshall is not serializable or the object has changed meaning you might have added or deleted data member from that object. I had the later problem. Hope this helps.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1215 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2004-08-13T12:39:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I was getting a similar error. In my case the error came on my second attempt to access the EJB Service. The first call was causing a MarhalException caused by a NotSerializableException. This was because one of the objects I was returning was not implementing the Serializable interface. On the second attempt, I got the same or similar MarsalException, that you are getting. Not sure if my problem is the same as yours. But I hope this info helps.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1215 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2004-08-13T13:45:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      If you enable ORB tracing then you can see whats happening. Most cases its an exception during serialization.
      How to enable ORB tracing you ask?
      • expand Troubleshooting -> Logs and Trace -> <your_server> -> Diagnostic Trace

• make sure Enable Trace is checked

• for Trace Specification, enter:

ORBRas=all=enabled:com.ibm.ejs.containter.*=all=enabled:com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.*=all=enabled

• make sure that File is selected for Trace Output and that a file name is specified

• click OK

• expand Servers -> Application Servers -> <your_server> -> ORB Service

• check the ORB Trace check box

• click OK and save the changes

• restart the server and run the test

---
      Cheers
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        1215 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2004-09-02T11:12:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        some of you could probably set the following system.parameter:
        -Dcom.ibm.CORBA.FragmentSize=0

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/aix/14/sdkguide.aix32.htm
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          1215 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2004-09-29T16:19:07Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          I did all the possibilities mentione in this thread. I still get the same error

java.rmi.MarshalException: CORBA MARSHAL 0x4942f896 No; nested exception is: org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge

Does any one have a fix for this problem? Your help is greatly appriciated

Regards,
          Harsha
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        1215 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2004-11-12T13:03:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hello,
        We have the same problem using WSAD IE 5.1 and an IE 5.1 test server in the WTE, and the trace shows a ClassNotFoundException for the EJB bean class!?
        The scenario is:
        • EJB E is in EAR project A1
        • A1 consists of:
        - the EJB project
        - an EJB client project
        • Servlet S is in EAR project A2
        • A2 references as project utility jar:
        - the EJB client project
        • Both EARs, A1 and A2, are deployed to the same server.
        • Servlet S calls EJB E
        • Getting the home interface works fine.
        • Getting the metadata (ejbHome.getEJBMetaData()) doesn't work.

This works, if A2 also references as project utility jar the EJB project, which shouldn't be required, should it?

Thanks in advance for any help!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1215 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2004-10-08T07:36:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    > Dear friends,
    >
    > I'm using WSAD5.1.1 to develop a Session Bean. In
    > side it, there is a method
    > which will return a WDO DataObject. When call from
    > EJB Local Interface,
    > everything is ok. But when call from EJB Remote
    > Interface, I got following
    > exception:
    >
    > java.rmi.MarshalException: CORBA MARSHAL 0x4942f896
    > No; nested exception
    > is:
    > org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from
    > underlying bridge : null
    > vmcid: IBM minor code: 896 completed: No
    > at
    > com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.UtilDelegateImpl.mapSystemException
    > UtilDelegateImpl.java
    > :198)
    > at
    > javax.rmi.CORBA.Util.mapSystemException(Util.java:83)
    > at
    > com.ibm.rmi.util.ProxyUtil.copyObject(ProxyUtil.java:4
    > 3)
    > at
    > com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.UtilDelegateImpl.copyObject(UtilDel
    > gateImpl.java:789)
    > at javax.rmi.CORBA.Util.copyObject(Util.java:332)
    > at
    > com.ibm.cigna.addRequest.session._AddRequestService_St
    > b.findData(_AddReques
    > tService_Stub.java:480)
    >
    >
    > Since I'm using EJB client to test it, I think the
    > client and server use
    > same JVM. I also check the WDO DataObject and make
    > sure it is serializable.
    > The test server that I'm using is WAS 5.1 test
    > environment.
    >

I have a stateless session bean with a method that return an Throwable. The method at runtime return a class that derives from Throwable, Exception, etc...
    When the mothod return a my Exception object I get the same problem. My Exception implements the tag interface Serializable.
    I realize that the jar containing my Exception class was not in the runtime classpath of the application that call the remote interface of th EJB.
    So, I put the jar in the classpath and I resolve the problem. The strange thing is that the JVM in this case doesn't throw a ClassNotFoundException, but the error of subject of this message.

I hope this message helps you and I apologize for my bad english.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1215 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2004-12-10T08:40:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    This problem occurs when you try to read from a EJB with a standalone client.

There at at least two causes for this:

1.) Either some class in your Bean interface is not serializable
    or
    2.) By using a JRE "incompatible" with WAS JRE when running your app with eclipse. ie. any other JRE than the WAS runs with...
    You can correct these by
    1.) checking your interface for unserializable classes, and classpath for any references for wrong version of the classes in the interface

2.) Add the WAS JRE to eclipse and use it as a default JRE
    2.1) Select Window -> Preferences and JAVA -> Installed JRE's
    2.2) Add {YOUR_WAS_HOME}/java/jre set it as a default

• SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1215 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2005-01-15T14:20:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I also got this exception a lot of time.
      In my case I can solve the problem replicable by the following:
      I have had also made changes in my EJB Project by adding and removing EJB Clients Projects. After that my application did not work any longer. I tried a lot of things - like changing JVM and refreshing the RMI code - but nothing happend.
      So I found out that the solution was a "old" binding of my EJB from my WebApp. So I removed the EJB Reference in my WebApp and then create a New one - and everything works perfect again.
      ok it sound a little bit crazy but maybe this could be helpful for someone
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1215 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2005-05-25T08:59:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Had the same problem and it was a missing class! unfortunately I only could make this error visible with IBMs JDK after making sure the class is available, I switched back to SUN JDK and it worked. I'm using a standalone client to my EJBs.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1215 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2005-09-02T23:36:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin

• If the reference to the object that you was obtain are remote, you should sign your class, because you have 2 JVM in your netWork (Client/Server).
      When the object arrives to the Client or to the Server the UID of your class will be finded and if it´s not match into the jvm, an exception org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL will be throw.

To resolve this problem you should sign the Object that wraps the response:
      i.e.:
      public static final long serialVersionUID= -7766899538629136321L;

The number -7766899538629136321L are random, and must be the same into the client and into the server jvm, you can code this line but must mantain the variable name serialVersionUID.

If you test Client and server into the same machine you w´ll
      not have this problem, because all the operations resides in the same jvm.

Best Regards

Andrés H.Pityla Casalaspro.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1215 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2005-11-08T04:00:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi All,
    Please help me out with this problem
    When i run my application, i am getting the below error..

org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge : -32768 vmcid: IBM minor code: 896 completed: No

Actually the screen i am running is a search screen, and retrives a lot of data.. if i give a search criteria which returns relatively less data.. i don not get this exception, but if i use a search criteia that returns too much data.. this error occurs..
    i have checked thew object i am using and all of them implemet the serializable interface.. Is there any solution to this problem?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1215 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

added libraries, being happy now!

‏2006-08-09T12:16:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Thanks guys, you helped me alot!

I got the 896 ibm code, as well. And my external ibm collegues coundn't recall what it meant :-)

However, for me it was enough to add all libs necessary at runtime to the caller's jar-dependencies. And there have been some surprises.

Cheers, Traui

// Re: Need Help for "org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge" problem
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1215 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: added libraries, being happy now!

‏2008-05-14T06:09:49Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi,
      I'm facing the same problem,
      Could you please mention which libs you added to make it work?

My error message looks like this

CORBA MARSHAL 0x4942f89a No; nested exception is:
      org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge : Feature 'creationTimestamp' not found. (file:///home/sandbox/all.datagraph, 12, 64) vmcid: IBM minor code: 89A completed: No
      Updated on 2008-05-14T06:09:49Z at 2008-05-14T06:09:49Z by SystemAdmin
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        1215 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-05-15T07:18:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I got the solution. Please read through carefully since everybody who uses WSRR has to face this problem.

My intention was to use WSRR APIs to create a document and retrieve it from WSRR which was deployed on Websphere.
        I was able to create/delete, but retrieve/update were failing with the above exceptions.

The problem was with mismatch of jars on the client side and the server side.
        The WSRR documentation mentions to use the jars in the installation directory of WSRR for writing EJB clients.
        However, what actually need to be used(put into CLASSPATH of the client) are the jars from the deployed WSRR EAR on Websphere.

I take this great displeasure to say that, I took 2 days to figure this out.
        Hope this is useful.

Till the next blockade, Happy debugging.
        Limo.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          1215 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-10-15T23:43:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hi,

I am building a custom java application to interface with ITIM 5.0 using ITIM APIs in a Websphere 6.1 clustered environment. The following are the values I am using while trying to set the initial platform context and then to login and do a getsubject().
          =============================
          getPlatform()
          =============================
          appServerURL ="iiop://localhost:2809";
          ejbUser = "wasadmin";
          platformContextFactory = "com.ibm.itim.apps.impl.websphere.WebSpherePlatformContextFactory";
          ejbPwd = "qwerty";

Hashtable env = new Hashtable();
          env.put(InitialPlatformContext.CONTEXT_FACTORY, platformContextFactory);//
          env.put(PlatformContext.PLATFORM_URL, appServerURL);
          env.put(PlatformContext.PLATFORM_PRINCIPAL, ejbUser);
          env.put(PlatformContext.PLATFORM_CREDENTIALS, ejbPwd);
          PlatformContext platform = null;

======================================
          getSubject()
          ======================================
          PlatformCallbackHandler handler = new PlatformCallbackHandler(user,password);//where user = "itim manager" ; pwd = "abcdef"
          handler.setPlatformContext(platform);
          LoginContext lc = new LoginContext("ITIM",handler);
          lc.login();
          subject = lc.getSubject();
          ===================================================

When I try to login and get a subject from my java app, I am getting the following exception :
          SystemErr R javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: RemoteException occurred in server thread; nested exception is:
          org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge : Mismatched serialization UIDs : Source (RepId RMI:com.ibm.itim.apps.ejb.home.AuthenticationObject:AE1C66A90F57C8D2:3E9F0BEB04A00A95) = 3E9F0BEB04A00A95 whereas Target (RepId RMI:com.ibm.itim.apps.ejb.home.AuthenticationObject:AE1C66A90F57C8D2:DAA1C25CEEF7C3E1) = DAA1C25CEEF7C3E1 vmcid: IBM minor code: 896 completed: No
          SystemErr R at com.ibm.itim.apps.jaas.spi.PlatformLoginModule.authenticate(PlatformLoginModule.java:363)
          SystemErr R at com.ibm.itim.apps.jaas.spi.PlatformLoginModule.login(PlatformLoginModule.java:243)
          SystemErr R at com.ibm.ws.security.common.auth.module.proxy.WSLoginModuleProxy.login(WSLoginModuleProxy.java:122)
          SystemErr R at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
          SystemErr R at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:64)

Any help is greatly appreciated ! I am just breaking my head for the past two days !! thanks in advance !
          • bpevans
            bpevans
            1 Post
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-10-16T17:01:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Petra,

When coding for the Identity Manager product, a very frequent cause of these java.rmi.MarshalExceptions is a mismatch in the maintenance level of the ITIM Jars used.

An easy way to ensure that the itim_server & itim_api jars are identical is to take and compare MD5sums from both the ITIM Server deployed ear directory and those same jars in the remote applications classpath.

The jars also contain explicit versioning information in their manifest. A ManifestReader tool is included to display that information.

(/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01/installedApps/sparNode01Cell/ITIM.ear)
            code
            root@spar$ *java -cp itim_server.jar com.ibm.itim.serviceability.ManifestReader itim*jar*
            File Name: itim_api.jar
            Entries: 481
            IdentityManagerServiceability
            Build-Date=September 25 2008
            Build-Time=10:32:46 GMT-05:00
            Build-Jar=itim_api.jar
            Build-Product-Version=5.0.0.3
            Build-Maintenance-Level=IF0014tf
            Build-User=bpevans
            Build-Number=200809251032
            Build-Server=Indra.tivlab.raleigh.ibm.com

File Name: itim_common.jar
            Entries: 613
            IdentityManagerServiceability
            Build-Date=September 25 2008
            [/code]
            • JohannesHoh
              JohannesHoh
              1 Post
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

Having the same Problem - still unsolved

‏2010-07-02T08:24:21Z  in response to bpevans
              The exception we get is a java.rmi.MarshalException together with IBM minor code: 89A

The problem seems to be somehow caused when the object that should be serialized has a lot of references to other objects.

The problem is perfectly reproducible.

A first solution for the problem was to set -Dcom.ibm.CORBA.FragmentSize=0
              That means that the no fragmentation should be done (default is 1024 bytes)

That solved the problem on different windows 7 machines, but not various windows XP systems.

Any ideas?

We are using the following technology:

Java server side: 1.4
              Java client side: 1.5 / 1.6
              Enterprise JavaBeans 1.1
              WebSphere 6.1.0.3
              IBM DB2 9.5
              We are very grateful for any help.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1215 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-09-18T08:01:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    hi all
    the solution is soo easy if u have the problem of mismach UIDs then allyou have to do is copy the classes inside the collection or whatever new classes made and beeing send to the client to the client and the problem will be solved
    wish u all luck
  • Craig1971
    Craig1971
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-07-13T14:21:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    FYI, I saw this error when trying to connect to ITIM when the ITIM Manager User account used to connect was inactive. Re-storing the account resolved the issue.

2007-07-13 08:55:20,108 ERROR Servlet.Engine.Transports : 1 TivoliIdentityManager - Failed to communicate with ITIM(login)
    javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: CORBA MARSHAL 0x4942f89a No; nested exception is:
    org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge : Mismatched serialization UIDs : Source (Rep. IDRMI:java.lang.Throwable:F8678B4F4D2EB705:D5C635273977B8CB) = D5C635273977B8CB whereas Target (Rep. ID RMI:com.ibm.itim.authentication.AuthenticationFailedException:2E921E9DEB124A7F:168F540848D19B99) = 168F540848D19B99 vmcid: IBM minor code: 89A completed: No
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1215 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-07-26T12:08:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    An exception like this occured for me in the following cases:

1) If I had different serialversionuids in the server and the client side.
    2) If the class to be transferred was not serializable
    3) If the class to be transferred was not loadable on the receiver side (this generally needs adding some jars to one side).
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1215 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-09-20T09:51:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi all,
    I am facing the same problem. But in my case i am able on kind of serialized of class object, when i am trying to return another serialized class object the following exception is coming. Both plain java classes and are serialized. I didn't understand what's going wrong. I am struggling with this problem from last one month.
    I already posted this problem in the same form
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_thread.jsp?forum=266&thread=175419&cat=9

java.rmi.MarshalException: CORBA MARSHAL 0x4942f89a No; nested exception is:
    org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge : Request 17:read beyond end of data. No fragments available. vmcid: IBM minor code: 89A completed: No
    at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.UtilDelegateImpl.mapSystemException(UtilDelegateImpl.java:207)
    at javax.rmi.CORBA.Util.mapSystemException(Util.java:84)
    at com.att.erp.ejb.session._ICSSession_Stub.requestReport(_ICSSession_Stub.java:337)
    at com.att.cc.common.xrc.client.XRCMainFrame.getReport(XRCMainFrame.java:1164)
    at com.att.cc.common.xrc.client.XRCMainFrame$2.run(XRCMainFrame.java:534)
    Caused by: org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge : Request 17:read beyond end of data. No fragments available. vmcid: IBM minor code: 89A completed: No
    at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.CDRInputStream.read_value(CDRInputStream.java:1975)
    at com.att.erp.ejb.session._ICSSession_Stub.requestReport(_ICSSession_Stub.java:323)
    ... 2 more
    Caused by: org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Request 17:read beyond end of data. No fragments available. vmcid: IBM minor code: 8C1 completed: Maybe
    at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.Connection.getNextFragment(Connection.java:2081)
    at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.IIOPInputStream.getNextBuffer(IIOPInputStream.java:378)
    at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.CDRInputStream.alignAndCheck(CDRInputStream.java:649)
    at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.CDRInputStream.alignAndCheck(CDRInputStream.java:580)
    at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.CDRInputStream.skipToEndOfChunk(CDRInputStream.java:1934)
    at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.CDRInputStream.skipToEndOfValue(CDRInputStream.java:1899)
    at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.CDRInputStream.post_fast_read_value(CDRInputStream.java:1675)
    at com.ibm.rmi.io.IIOPInputStream.doPostReadProcessing(IIOPInputStream.java:1922)
    at com.ibm.rmi.io.IIOPInputStream.readObjectDelegate(IIOPInputStream.java:285)
    at com.ibm.rmi.io.IIOPInputStream.readObjectOverride(IIOPInputStream.java:524)
    at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:348)
    at java.util.HashMap.readObject(HashMap.java:1094)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor10.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:615)
    at com.ibm.rmi.io.IIOPInputStream.invokeObjectReader(IIOPInputStream.java:1610)
    at com.ibm.rmi.io.IIOPInputStream.inputObjectUsingClassDesc(IIOPInputStream.java:1344)
    at com.ibm.rmi.io.IIOPInputStream.inputObjectClassDesc(IIOPInputStream.java:1319)
    at com.ibm.rmi.io.IIOPInputStream.readSerializable(IIOPInputStream.java:1048)
    at com.ibm.rmi.io.IIOPInputStream.simpleReadObjectInternal(IIOPInputStream.java:325)
    at com.ibm.rmi.io.IIOPInputStream.simpleReadObjectLoop(IIOPInputStream.java:402)
    at com.ibm.rmi.io.IIOPInputStream.simpleReadObject(IIOPInputStream.java:356)
    at com.ibm.rmi.io.ValueHandlerImpl.readValue(ValueHandlerImpl.java:201)
    at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.CDRInputStream.read_value(CDRInputStream.java:1957)
    ... 3 more
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1215 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-09-27T15:41:12Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I had same problem and following action fixed problem:

I was using some internal-common library in EJB external client, that contained class that was result of EJB method. I had this internal-common project in classpath of my run target (Application Client). If I removed it from this classpath I received java.lang.NoClassDefError. All code was compiled without any problems and I could also call EJB method, that contained some parameter and returned string (e.g. helloWorld).

But when I tried to execute EJB method, that returned object from internal-common, exception "org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Unable to read value from underlying bridge" was thrown.

Solution in my case:
      I added internal-common library to clientEAR utility jar and selected internal-common as J2EE module (Properties->J2EE modules) in project client (external client).

I hope it helps.
  • farage
    farage
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-12-24T01:08:49Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi All,

I have got RemoteException, UnmarshallException, while calling Stateless Session Bean from one of my CMD on WCS5.6.If you also get the same exception please follow the following steps.

1) Check your Stubs and Sekeletons are generated properly.
    2) Check whether the passing object to EJB is not Serialized and then serialize the object.
    3) Check Whether you enabled PassByReference in WAS Admin console inside ORB Services.

Thanks and Regards
    Srinivas Bandla
  • This reply was deleted by acmohan 2013-05-28T00:34:49Z. Reason for deletion: issue is closed and confidential
  • This reply was deleted by acmohan 2013-05-28T00:35:06Z. Reason for deletion: issue is closed and confidential