Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2003-08-21T02:21:14Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
16727 Posts

Pinned topic XDE Tester, Eclipse and Linux

‏2003-08-19T18:51:58Z |
I am using XDE tester to test Eclipse based products on windows and linux. Under windows you just copy the XDE eclipse plugin to the eclipse/plugins directory and XDE and Test Manager works.
I have a problem however when running tests on Linux. I have copied the appropriate plugin to the appropriate place and it appears to load in according to the eclipse-plugins info page. When I run the test on the linux machine from within TestManager it starts to load the test on the linux machine but no recognition appears to happen on the eclipse version on the linux machine, thus nothing happens.
Does anyone have any experience of using Linux/XDE Tester/eclipse/Test Manager?
Updated on 2003-08-21T02:21:14Z at 2003-08-21T02:21:14Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

re: XDE Tester, Eclipse and Linux

‏2003-08-20T14:13:28Z  
    1. You do not need to install Eclipse on a Linux agent: you need to install the Rational Test Agent.
    2. You have to have an X Server (e.g., Hummingbird, Exceed) running on the machine from where you're running the TestManager suite. This is not documented and seems to be a defect.

David Coles wrote on Aug 19, 2003 - 11:51 AM ET
    >> I am using XDE tester to test Eclipse based products on windows and linux. Under windows you just copy the XDE eclipse plugin to the eclipse/plugins directory and XDE and Test Manager works.
    >> I have a problem however when running tests on Linux. I have copied the appropriate plugin to the appropriate place and it appears to load in according to the eclipse-plugins info page. When I run the test on the linux machine from within TestManager it starts to load the test on the linux machine but no recognition appears to happen on the eclipse version on the linux machine, thus nothing happens.
    >> Does anyone have any experience of using Linux/XDE Tester/eclipse/Test Manager?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

‏2003-08-20T16:34:12Z  
    1. You do not need to install Eclipse on a Linux agent: you need to install the Rational Test Agent.
    2. You have to have an X Server (e.g., Hummingbird, Exceed) running on the machine from where you're running the TestManager suite. This is not documented and seems to be a defect.

David Coles wrote on Aug 19, 2003 - 11:51 AM ET
    >> I am using XDE tester to test Eclipse based products on windows and linux. Under windows you just copy the XDE eclipse plugin to the eclipse/plugins directory and XDE and Test Manager works.
    >> I have a problem however when running tests on Linux. I have copied the appropriate plugin to the appropriate place and it appears to load in according to the eclipse-plugins info page. When I run the test on the linux machine from within TestManager it starts to load the test on the linux machine but no recognition appears to happen on the eclipse version on the linux machine, thus nothing happens.
    >> Does anyone have any experience of using Linux/XDE Tester/eclipse/Test Manager?
    I have the Test Agent installed and configured as documented in the XDE Tester install documentation.
    I do need eclipse installed as I am trying to test an eclipse based product.
    My problem is that when I run a test that works fine on windows, on my own xp machine, and through the agent on a 2000 machine, it doesn't work. The agent starts up and the rational XDE script playing toolbar starts, but any script items that involve interaction with the eclipse window fails.
    Eclipse is set up in the same manner as on my windows machine and I have the motif version of eclipse as specified.

Why do I need an xserver running on my windows machine when I can see the linux screen on the desk next to me?
    Do I have to export Displays and things then?

Daniel Chirillo wrote on Aug 20, 2003 - 07:13 AM ET
    >> 1. You do not need to install Eclipse on a Linux agent: you need to install the Rational Test Agent.
    >> 2. You have to have an X Server (e.g., Hummingbird, Exceed) running on the machine from where you're running the TestManager suite. This is not documented and seems to be a defect.
    >> 
    >> David Coles wrote on Aug 19, 2003 - 11:51 AM ET
    >> >> I am using XDE tester to test Eclipse based products on windows and linux. Under windows you just copy the XDE eclipse plugin to the eclipse/plugins directory and XDE and Test Manager works.
    >> >> I have a problem however when running tests on Linux. I have copied the appropriate plugin to the appropriate place and it appears to load in according to the eclipse-plugins info page. When I run the test on the linux machine from within TestManager it starts to load the test on the linux machine but no recognition appears to happen on the eclipse version on the linux machine, thus nothing happens.
    >> >> Does anyone have any experience of using Linux/XDE Tester/eclipse/Test Manager?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    16727 Posts

‏2003-08-21T02:21:14Z  
    I have the Test Agent installed and configured as documented in the XDE Tester install documentation.
    I do need eclipse installed as I am trying to test an eclipse based product.
    My problem is that when I run a test that works fine on windows, on my own xp machine, and through the agent on a 2000 machine, it doesn't work. The agent starts up and the rational XDE script playing toolbar starts, but any script items that involve interaction with the eclipse window fails.
    Eclipse is set up in the same manner as on my windows machine and I have the motif version of eclipse as specified.

Why do I need an xserver running on my windows machine when I can see the linux screen on the desk next to me?
    Do I have to export Displays and things then?

Daniel Chirillo wrote on Aug 20, 2003 - 07:13 AM ET
    >> 1. You do not need to install Eclipse on a Linux agent: you need to install the Rational Test Agent.
    >> 2. You have to have an X Server (e.g., Hummingbird, Exceed) running on the machine from where you're running the TestManager suite. This is not documented and seems to be a defect.
    >> 
    >> David Coles wrote on Aug 19, 2003 - 11:51 AM ET
    >> >> I am using XDE tester to test Eclipse based products on windows and linux. Under windows you just copy the XDE eclipse plugin to the eclipse/plugins directory and XDE and Test Manager works.
    >> >> I have a problem however when running tests on Linux. I have copied the appropriate plugin to the appropriate place and it appears to load in according to the eclipse-plugins info page. When I run the test on the linux machine from within TestManager it starts to load the test on the linux machine but no recognition appears to happen on the eclipse version on the linux machine, thus nothing happens.
    >> >> Does anyone have any experience of using Linux/XDE Tester/eclipse/Test Manager?
    You don't have to manage the DISPLAY variable. TestManager/TestAgent take care of it. I don't know why the X server is necessary. As I said, it's undocumented and seems to be (based on a conversation I had with tech support) a defect. I discovered that it's necesssary because when I ran a suite on a Linux agent, TestMangager reported the the script executed and passed, but without the X server, no code in the script had executed. I started out by putting just one line of code in the XDE Tester scrit: one that writes a message to the log. TestManager executed the script on the linux box, but the message was not written. When I played back a script that contained recorded GUI actions and VPs, the log showed no record that the VPs were executed. When I played back with an X server running, the script played back fine. This was on a Red Hat 8 box. My conclusion: you need an X Server.