Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2005-01-12T23:10:15Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
37421 Posts

Pinned topic remote EAR installation doesn't work: com.ibm.websphere.management.exception.AdminException:

‏2004-04-18T06:45:12Z |
I am trying to remotely install a websphere EAR onto a remote WAS 5.1
server.

When I try to run the install command:
(wsadmin>$AdminAppinstall "c:/build/panoramajar/panoramaear.ear"
{-appname Panor
amaEAR -nodeployejb}

I receive the following error:

com.ibm.websphere.management.exception.AdminException
javax.management.MBeanException
com.ibm.websphere.management.exception.AdminException: ADMA0043E:
C:\Documents and Settings\wasadmin\Local Settings\Temp\2\app23320.ear
does not exist for installation.

What seems to happen is:
1) a temp EAR is created i.e. ..\temp\app23320.ear from my EAR
2) The temp EAR is extracted
3) The temp EAR is deleted
4) wsadmin throws error saying it can't find the temp EAR (which it
had just deleted)

Why is this happening??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adrian
Updated on 2005-01-12T23:10:15Z at 2005-01-12T23:10:15Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37421 Posts

SOLUTION: remote EAR installation doesn't work: AdminException

‏2004-12-14T19:23:53Z  
    Remote Base Server Deployment
    =============================
    A slightly more typical environment is one where one or more target base servers are on remote machines. The most obvious approach (and the one used by some customers) is to use File Transfer Protocol (FTP) to transfer the application or update from their build machine to the remote target machine(s), and then to use telnet, or some other similar program, to run the wsadmin program on that remote machine. This works, but it is quite messy. It requires FTP and telnet on each remote machine, and quite a bit of error-prone manual operations. It also requires FTP and telnet accounts on each remote machine, which is an administration and security issues many companies would prefer to avoid.

WebSphere provides a nice solution to this issue which many users are not even aware exists. If you install WebSphere on the build machine, then the WebSphere runtime and its wsadmin command tool are available, even if that installation server is never configured or started. You can then use the wsadmin command to connect to your remote target server(s) and run your deployment commands against that remote server. If a local build machine file is being installed on the remote server, WebSphere will internally do the file transfer for you. All the normal WebSphere security (if configured) is automatically used, based on the userid and password used with the wsadmin tool. Thus deployment to remote servers is as easy as to a local server; the only difference is that the wsadmin invocation command specifies a remote server instead of a local one:
    Wsadmin -host MyRemoteHost -port MyRemotePort …commands…Note: The above solution for remote base server deployment only works if the local installation (where wsadmin is running) is a WebSphere version-6 installation. If the local installation is a WebSphere version-5.0 or v5.1 installation then you will get an error "X:\MyTEMP\appnnnnn.ear does not exist for installation". Remote File Transfer support is a version-6 enhancement, unfortunately the version-5x error is not clear about that. The authors have used a local WebSphere version-6 installation to deploy to remote version-51 base servers, and this appears to work fine, but this is not an officially supported configuration.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37421 Posts

Re: SOLUTION: remote EAR installation doesn't work: AdminException

‏2005-01-12T23:10:15Z  
    Remote Base Server Deployment
    =============================
    A slightly more typical environment is one where one or more target base servers are on remote machines. The most obvious approach (and the one used by some customers) is to use File Transfer Protocol (FTP) to transfer the application or update from their build machine to the remote target machine(s), and then to use telnet, or some other similar program, to run the wsadmin program on that remote machine. This works, but it is quite messy. It requires FTP and telnet on each remote machine, and quite a bit of error-prone manual operations. It also requires FTP and telnet accounts on each remote machine, which is an administration and security issues many companies would prefer to avoid.

WebSphere provides a nice solution to this issue which many users are not even aware exists. If you install WebSphere on the build machine, then the WebSphere runtime and its wsadmin command tool are available, even if that installation server is never configured or started. You can then use the wsadmin command to connect to your remote target server(s) and run your deployment commands against that remote server. If a local build machine file is being installed on the remote server, WebSphere will internally do the file transfer for you. All the normal WebSphere security (if configured) is automatically used, based on the userid and password used with the wsadmin tool. Thus deployment to remote servers is as easy as to a local server; the only difference is that the wsadmin invocation command specifies a remote server instead of a local one:
    Wsadmin -host MyRemoteHost -port MyRemotePort …commands…Note: The above solution for remote base server deployment only works if the local installation (where wsadmin is running) is a WebSphere version-6 installation. If the local installation is a WebSphere version-5.0 or v5.1 installation then you will get an error "X:\MyTEMP\appnnnnn.ear does not exist for installation". Remote File Transfer support is a version-6 enhancement, unfortunately the version-5x error is not clear about that. The authors have used a local WebSphere version-6 installation to deploy to remote version-51 base servers, and this appears to work fine, but this is not an officially supported configuration.
    Dear Barry,

Thank you very much for quick replies to my previous emails. The Ant tasks for automatic build were very useful.

I have one more question regarding remote EAR installation. If you have already seen this message on developerWorks forums, please ignore this email.

I am running into the exactly same issue as you mentioned in your article (an error "X:\MyTEMP\appnnnnn.ear does not exist for installation"). I have websphere 51 installed in both build machine and remote server. We have websphere 51 license and so I dont think I can use websphere 6.0 on the build machine atleast for a while. Can you please suggest any workaround for this problem, other than running wsadmin on every remote machine manually or using telnet?

Thank you very much.