11 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-06-17T07:49:10Z by v2_1954
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2364 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Smartsuite

‏2002-09-27T08:59:52Z |
Converting a customer
(who really WANTS a migration to LINUX )
completely to Linux with all the Desktops I have a serious problem, because
they use Lotus Smartsuite and I can't read any file on LINUX
Windows-Smartsuite has produced.
There seems to be no possibility to work with *.lwp files (and als the other
file formats ) of Lotus Wordpro in Linux at all.
Because of IBM is both LINUX - precursor AND Lotus Smartsuite owner and
developer, there must be a solution for that !!
Can anyone tell me which solution you have ?

TanX in Advance
Helmut
Updated on 2012-06-17T07:49:10Z at 2012-06-17T07:49:10Z by v2_1954
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2364 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

RE: Smartsuite

‏2002-09-29T21:38:14Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I have heard that some of the Smartsuite viewers (see SmartSuite) work under WINE although I have not tried these myself. The
    16-bit Windows 3.1 viewer is most likely to work. I am not aware of any product
    that would allow you to save or otherwise manipulate SmartSuite files on Linux.
    Updated on 2002-09-29T21:38:14Z at 2002-09-29T21:38:14Z by SystemAdmin
  • blackstar
    blackstar
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Smartsuite

‏2010-05-18T16:13:07Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    The IBM Lotus Symphony will handle all the SmartSuite file formats and runs natively on many linux distributions. That's what we use all the time on the Debian GNU/Linux.
    • michaelff
      michaelff
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-11T15:40:35Z  in response to blackstar
      Hi blackstar,

you mention that IBM Lotus Symphony will handle all the Smartsuite file formats,

However I find this is not case. I am using IBM Lotus Symphony version 3.0 running on the IBM Open client Linux Redhat 6.0.
      Lotus Symphony 3
      Release 3.0.0 FP3
      Revision 20110707.1500
      Based on Open Office, and ODF compliant
      Licensed Materials - Property of IBM. © Copyright IBM Corporation and its licensors 2003, 2010.

Every time I attempt to open *.lwp or *.prz file (to take 2 as an example) I get the error:
      IBM Lotus Symphony does not support this file format.

Am I missing some extension/plugin or something?

Desperately looking for a solution and I don't have windows installed anywhere that I can use - no disk space to install a virtual windows environment
      So need a solution on Linux

Thanks
      • bobcatt46
        bobcatt46
        2 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-13T17:16:57Z  in response to michaelff
        Here is a suggestion in the for what it is worth category.
        It has been several years since I last made use of the IBM SmartSuite application.
        However, you may wish to consider downloading and installing OPENOFFICE suite of applications.
        the URL should be:
        HTTP://www.OpenOffice.com.
        As professional and competent an organization as Oracle has been over many years, and the over whelming dedication of the Many software programmers who have associated themselves with the OPENOFFICE suite of applications, I find it very difficult to believe that from the many different importable formats that SmartSuite would not be available!
        Wishing you the very best of luck.
        Bobcatt46
      • bobcatt46
        bobcatt46
        2 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-13T17:25:43Z  in response to michaelff
        Here is a suggestion in the for what it is worth category.
        It has been several years since I last made use of the IBM SmartSuite application.
        However, you may wish to consider downloading and installing OPENOFFICE suite of applications.
        the URL should be:
        HTTP://www.OpenOffice.com Ms. guess that is enough
        As professional and competent an organization as Oracle has been over many years, and the over whelming dedication of the Many software programmers who have associated themselves with the OPENOFFICE suite of applications, I find it very difficult to believe that from the many different importable formats that SmartSuite would not be available!
        My 2nd suggestion and very probably most obvious would be to install IBM SmartSuite application on a Windows system (assuming it is not already installed). Open each *.LWP file And then do a save as, of each file into a format which is in fact, transferable from a format such as *.DOC, or other formats.
        Having saved all of these valuable files into a transferable/transportable format your difficulty should be completely resolved!
        Wishing you the very best of luck.
        Bobcatt46
        • v2_1954
          v2_1954
          1 Post
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-17T07:49:10Z  in response to bobcatt46
          I have used Smartsuite for many years.When I moved to Linux in 2009, I had volumes of files that were formatted under SmartSuite. The only open source software that I have found to date that will translate this files is LibreOffice. It is a fork of OpenOffice.
  • larryp7639
    larryp7639
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-02T03:44:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello !
    I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

Edited by: ianshields_admin on Jun 1, 2010 11:43 PM to remove unrelated trailer URL.
    Updated on 2010-06-02T03:44:23Z at 2010-06-02T03:44:23Z by larryp7639
  • ishields
    ishields
    988 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-11T16:05:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I believe earlier versions of Symphony (possibly 1.3) can open the Smartsuite word processor, spreadsheet and presentation files and save them as either MS Office or the earlier Open Document format. Search for symphony at No-charge products, tools, and toolkits.

I do not know if or when this support may be added to Symphony 3.0 or later releases.

Ian Shields
    • michaelff
      michaelff
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-11T16:55:41Z  in response to ishields
      hi Ian,

Thank you for the link, heading off to download version 1.3.

In meantime can you tell if I need uninstall Symphony 3.0 before I install version 1.3?
      OR can the coexist on the same machine?
      IS there any special install instructions I should follow when installing version 1.3 so that it can coexist with version 3.0?

Want to avoid uninstalling version 3 and reinstalling it later.
      Thank you
      Michael
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2364 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-19T17:46:26Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    You can likely install multiple versions on the same machine, but you'll need to do some kung foo on your installation to make sure it goes to different directories. On Ubuntu, I could use the --admindir=<directory> and --instdir=<directory> to affect the installation. I could also use --root=<directory> to isolate it completely. Depending on your Linux distribution you might have to do it differently.

As long as you can keep the files from overlapping you should be able to make it work. If you run into specific package issues let us know and we might be able to help you tweak. To see what you're up against, do a package listing of the installed Symphony and compare it to a package listing for the new one. You might end up renaming existing links, like /usr/bin/symphony to /usr/bin/symphony3 or something.