82F3_James_Strong
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Cannot create JSF Web Service Client

‏2013-08-06T21:51:53Z |

Environment
RAD 8.5.1 iFix2
WAS 8.5.5 test server

I was working on creating a web service and client via RAD wizards when I ran into some problems. I decided to open up the RAD 8 programmers guide (sg247835) to run through the some of the examples to see where I was going wrong. I didn't use the exact names as indicated in the book because I didn't have the source, but the steps were the same. I created a simple bean that had some get methods that returned static string values so that I didn't have to create any additional logic. Based on the bean, I created a bottom-up web service from the JavaBean. I was able to open a browser and go to the url to confirm the service existed. I saw the Hello message indicating an Axis2 Web Service. I also used the Generic Service Client to invoke one of the methods. The return was the static result I placed in the bean. The service is functional. I decided to create a JSF client according to Creating a web service JavaServer Faces client. I created the Facelet (was xhtml instead of document specified jsp, but no problem). I drag the Web Service into the design pane which opens the Add Web Service dialog. I select Add, which opens the Web Service Discovery Dialog, select Web Service from workspace, select the service I created and then the port. When I Add to Project, the resulting selection should populate the service in Add Web Service so that I can select a method to call, but it will not populate. I have tried changing preferences to use the Web Service Client Wizard, but that does not add the service either. As a result, I cannot select the method to continue creating the client. I went about this several ways including creating the JSP client which does work. I believe I am on the latest patch for RAD and WAS. Anyone have any thoughts as to why I cannot proceed with a JSF client? I would like to create JSF within my application and am questioning whether I will be able to with this release.

By the way, there were no errors from the GUI nor were there any errors in the .log.

• PabloEsparza
    PabloEsparza
    11 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Cannot create JSF Web Service Client

‏2013-08-07T20:45:29Z  in response to 82F3_James_Strong

Hi there,

Can you update to RAD 8.5.5 please?? or use some WAS 8.0??

Regards.

• 82F3_James_Strong
      82F3_James_Strong
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-07T21:11:02Z  in response to PabloEsparza

Thanks for the reply, but RAD 8.5.5 does not exist. The latest release for the 8.5 branch is 8.5.1 iFix 2 which was released April 29, 2013. I am currently using 8.5.1 iFix 2. I'm not sure, but maybe you are questioning my use of RAD 8.5.1 with 8.5.5 server which appears to be a difference in version. RAD 8.5.1 is designed to work with WAS 7, 8, and 8.5 servers.

• PabloEsparza
        PabloEsparza
        11 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-07T21:31:24Z  in response to 82F3_James_Strong

Hi James,

Yes, I meant WAS 8.5.5 and why you are using it with RAD 8.5.1... sorry for the confusion.

• 82F3_James_Strong
          82F3_James_Strong
          4 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-07T22:19:39Z  in response to PabloEsparza

8.5.1 is the current RAD implementation that you can use to develop applications for WAS 8.5.5. I believe that RAD 9.0 came out in the middle of June, but that was after I started my current project. RAD 8.5.5 does not exist.

The versions of RAD and WAS do not completely mirror each other from version to version. The majors typically do, but you can typically have support for prior servers with the various RAD releases. For example, I still support applications that are being built with RAD 7.5.5, however were running on WAS 6.1 and 7.0. The code is being maintained in RAD 7.5.5 but was originally built with RAD 6.

• PabloEsparza
            PabloEsparza
            11 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-08T13:43:09Z  in response to 82F3_James_Strong

Hi James,

This is a known issue in RAD 8.5.1, so please go ahead and contact to support team. Thanks for being participating to improve RAD.

• 82F3_James_Strong
              82F3_James_Strong
              4 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-12T13:25:32Z  in response to PabloEsparza

Thanks, I am trying to get our customer number. I have the site number which I thought was the same, but it was not accepted for some reason. I'm not sure if there is suppose to be a list of approved users or not. So at this point, I have not been able to submit it.