Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-04-04T13:06:20Z by Kendall.Coolidge
Kendall.Coolidge
Kendall.Coolidge
84 Posts

Pinned topic RBD 8.5.1.1 Preview mode crash

‏2014-02-25T13:38:30Z |

Lately several of us have been having problems when switching to preview mode for even a simple RUI handler that contains a dojo widget.  If we click on that widget, RBD locks up and window saying "Java Platform SE binary has stopped working" displays.  RBD exits and we see the attached eclipse dialog that starts with "Java was started but returned exit code = 255".  I've seen other exit codes too, so it's not always 255.

This only happens in preview mode.  If we display the same handler in an external browser it's fine.  I've hunted around in my various Java preferences but have not found anything that makes a difference.

RBD 8.5.1.1 (also happens in 8.5.1)

Win 7 64bit

Any thoughts where else I should look?

Thanks,

Kendall

• markevans
    markevans
    2842 Posts

Re: RBD 8.5.1.1 Preview mode crash

‏2014-02-25T13:50:04Z  

Kendall,

First .. I would suggest opening a PMR with the support center.  This sounds like something that should be looked at through this process.

Second... in the past, when I had Java issues, I have sometimes found a log in the <install non-sharedi>\configuration folder.  Also sometimes you can get core/javastack type files in the <install non-shared> folder.

I am pretty sure the 255 just means the JVM crashed.

Mark

• Kendall.Coolidge
    Kendall.Coolidge
    84 Posts

‏2014-02-25T14:08:49Z  
    • markevans
    • ‏2014-02-25T13:50:04Z

Kendall,

First .. I would suggest opening a PMR with the support center.  This sounds like something that should be looked at through this process.

Second... in the past, when I had Java issues, I have sometimes found a log in the <install non-sharedi>\configuration folder.  Also sometimes you can get core/javastack type files in the <install non-shared> folder.

I am pretty sure the 255 just means the JVM crashed.

Mark

Thanks, Mark.

I'll head down the PMR route.

I also noticed a pretty extensive log here:  Help -> About Rational Business Developer -> Installation details -> Configuration -> View Error Log

Looks like lots of unhappiness there.

Kendall

• markevans
    markevans
    2842 Posts

‏2014-02-25T14:54:12Z  

Thanks, Mark.

I'll head down the PMR route.

I also noticed a pretty extensive log here:  Help -> About Rational Business Developer -> Installation details -> Configuration -> View Error Log

Looks like lots of unhappiness there.

Kendall

Kendall,

Yes..that "error log" is the same as the .log file under the Workspace->.metadata folder.    Sometimes it will show issues also, which could be contributing to this.

AS a note, you can also view this log using the "error log" view.   The way to do this is use "window -> Show View" and choose "other".  Then type in "Error" in the filter text and the "error log" will show up.  You can choose it and the messages will appear/be updated with the latest message at the top of the list.  You can click the message to get more details.

One thought... there is always the possibility you are running out of memory.  You can increase the size of memory for the JVM by changing the value in the eclipse.ini to a larger value.  The eclipse.ini is found in the <install-non-shared> folder.  The value to change is the

-Xmx1024m

You can change this to a larger value.  The max is based on what Windows allows which is based on physical memory and whether you are using 32 bit or 64 bit.  

Finally (and may be unrelated to your issue), the  EGL Debugger runs in a separate JVM.   Its default JVM size is 512M.   You can also update the eclipse.ini to make the default JVM size larger instead of updating a "debug configuration".  To do this add the following to the eclipse.ini:

-DeglDebugInitialVMArgs="-Xmx1024m"

(with whatever size you want).

Mark

Mark

• Kendall.Coolidge
    Kendall.Coolidge
    84 Posts

‏2014-02-25T15:26:44Z  
    • markevans
    • ‏2014-02-25T14:54:12Z

Kendall,

Yes..that "error log" is the same as the .log file under the Workspace->.metadata folder.    Sometimes it will show issues also, which could be contributing to this.

AS a note, you can also view this log using the "error log" view.   The way to do this is use "window -> Show View" and choose "other".  Then type in "Error" in the filter text and the "error log" will show up.  You can choose it and the messages will appear/be updated with the latest message at the top of the list.  You can click the message to get more details.

One thought... there is always the possibility you are running out of memory.  You can increase the size of memory for the JVM by changing the value in the eclipse.ini to a larger value.  The eclipse.ini is found in the <install-non-shared> folder.  The value to change is the

-Xmx1024m

You can change this to a larger value.  The max is based on what Windows allows which is based on physical memory and whether you are using 32 bit or 64 bit.  

Finally (and may be unrelated to your issue), the  EGL Debugger runs in a separate JVM.   Its default JVM size is 512M.   You can also update the eclipse.ini to make the default JVM size larger instead of updating a "debug configuration".  To do this add the following to the eclipse.ini:

-DeglDebugInitialVMArgs="-Xmx1024m"

(with whatever size you want).

Mark

Mark

Thanks for the tip on the error log view.  That will be helpful forever!

I had already bumped my Xmx to 2048, and I've tried changing my -DeglDebugInitialVMArgs="-Xmx1024m" and 2048, but still crashes.

In the error log view, I see two actual errors each time the IDE starts up, though no idea if they are related to my problem, but here they are:

eclipse.buildId=unknown
    java.fullversion=JRE 1.7.0 IBM J9 2.6 Windows 7 amd64-64 Compressed References 20130617_152572 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
    J9VM - R26_Java726_SR5_20130617_1436_B152572
    JIT  - r11.b04_20130528_38954ifx1
    GC   - R26_Java726_SR5_20130617_1436_B152572_CMPRSS
    J9CL - 20130617_152572
    BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US
    Framework arguments:  -product com.ibm.rational.rbd.product.v85.ide
    Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -product com.ibm.rational.rbd.product.v85.ide

Error
    Tue Feb 25 10:19:00 EST 2014
    CommunicationsDaemon, IOException occured during communications daemon request

java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
        at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.bind0(Native Method)
        at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.ibm.etools.iseries.subsystems.qsys.api.SystemCommunicationsDaemon.run(Unknown Source)

Error
    Tue Feb 25 10:18:53 EST 2014
    Found two dtoEvolution elements with the same componentVersion value in bundle com.ibm.team.scm.common.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Found two dtoEvolution elements with the same componentVersion value in bundle com.ibm.team.scm.common.
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.ModelElementDescriptor$EvolutionDescriptorComponentVersionComparator.compare(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.ModelElementDescriptor$EvolutionDescriptorComponentVersionComparator.compare(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.TreeMap.compare(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.TreeMap.put(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.TreeSet.add(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.ModelElementDescriptor.processEvolutionElement(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.ModelElementDescriptor.processChild(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.AbstractElementDescriptor.processChildren(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.AbstractElementDescriptor.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.AbstractComponentChildElementDescriptor.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.ModelElementDescriptor.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.ComponentElementDescriptor.processChild(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.AbstractElementDescriptor.processChildren(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.AbstractElementDescriptor.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.ComponentElementDescriptor.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.ComponentRegistry.handleExtensionAdded(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.ComponentRegistry.handleExtensionAdded(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.util.ExtensionRegistryReader.basicHandleExtensionAdded(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.util.ExtensionRegistryReader.handleExtensionAddedToRegistry(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.util.ExtensionRegistryReader.addContributedExtensions(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.util.ExtensionRegistryReader.start(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.Activator.startExtensionReaders(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.Activator.start(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.start(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.util.SecureAction.start(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.setLazyTrigger(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.findLocalClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findLocalClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.SingleSourcePackage.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassImpl(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findClassImpl(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClassImpl(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass_LockClassName(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.findLocalClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.J9VMInternals.verifyImpl(Native Method)
    at java.lang.J9VMInternals.verify(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.J9VMInternals.newInstanceImpl(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.RegistryStrategyOSGI.createExecutableExtension(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ExtensionRegistry.createExecutableExtension(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElementHandle.createExecutableExtension(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.filesystem.InternalFileSystemCore.getFileSystem(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.filesystem.InternalFileSystemCore.getStore(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.filesystem.EFS.getStore(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.localstore.FileStoreRoot.toLocalPath(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.localstore.FileStoreRoot.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.localstore.FileSystemResourceManager.setLocation(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.localstore.FileSystemResourceManager.initializeStore(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.localstore.FileSystemResourceManager.read(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.restoreMetaInfo(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.restoreMetaInfo(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.restore(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.startup(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.startup(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.open(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.resources.ResourcesPlugin.start(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.start(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.SingleSourcePackage.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Unknown Source)

• markevans
    markevans
    2842 Posts

‏2014-02-25T18:16:43Z  

Thanks for the tip on the error log view.  That will be helpful forever!

I had already bumped my Xmx to 2048, and I've tried changing my -DeglDebugInitialVMArgs="-Xmx1024m" and 2048, but still crashes.

In the error log view, I see two actual errors each time the IDE starts up, though no idea if they are related to my problem, but here they are:

eclipse.buildId=unknown
    java.fullversion=JRE 1.7.0 IBM J9 2.6 Windows 7 amd64-64 Compressed References 20130617_152572 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
    J9VM - R26_Java726_SR5_20130617_1436_B152572
    JIT  - r11.b04_20130528_38954ifx1
    GC   - R26_Java726_SR5_20130617_1436_B152572_CMPRSS
    J9CL - 20130617_152572
    BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US
    Framework arguments:  -product com.ibm.rational.rbd.product.v85.ide
    Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -product com.ibm.rational.rbd.product.v85.ide

Error
    Tue Feb 25 10:19:00 EST 2014
    CommunicationsDaemon, IOException occured during communications daemon request

java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
        at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.bind0(Native Method)
        at java.net.DualStackPlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(Unknown Source)
        at com.ibm.etools.iseries.subsystems.qsys.api.SystemCommunicationsDaemon.run(Unknown Source)

Error
    Found two dtoEvolution elements with the same componentVersion value in bundle com.ibm.team.scm.common.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Found two dtoEvolution elements with the same componentVersion value in bundle com.ibm.team.scm.common.
    at java.util.TreeMap.compare(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.TreeMap.put(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.TreeSet.add(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.ModelElementDescriptor.processEvolutionElement(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.ModelElementDescriptor.processChild(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.AbstractComponentChildElementDescriptor.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.ModelElementDescriptor.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.ComponentElementDescriptor.processChild(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.ComponentElementDescriptor.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.util.ExtensionRegistryReader.basicHandleExtensionAdded(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.util.ExtensionRegistryReader.handleExtensionAddedToRegistry(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.util.ExtensionRegistryReader.addContributedExtensions(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.util.ExtensionRegistryReader.start(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.Activator.startExtensionReaders(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.Activator.start(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassImpl(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findClassImpl(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClassImpl(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass_LockClassName(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.J9VMInternals.newInstanceImpl(Native Method)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.RegistryStrategyOSGI.createExecutableExtension(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ExtensionRegistry.createExecutableExtension(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElementHandle.createExecutableExtension(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.filesystem.InternalFileSystemCore.getFileSystem(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.filesystem.InternalFileSystemCore.getStore(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.filesystem.EFS.getStore(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.localstore.FileStoreRoot.toLocalPath(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.localstore.FileStoreRoot.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.localstore.FileSystemResourceManager.setLocation(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.localstore.FileSystemResourceManager.initializeStore(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.localstore.FileSystemResourceManager.read(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.restore(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.startup(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.startup(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.open(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.resources.ResourcesPlugin.start(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Unknown Source)

Hi,

The way to know if this has anything to do with your Preview problem is to delete the contents of the .log (or look at the error log) and see if new messages are issued when you try to run the preview.  

This error seems to have something to do with your SCM plugins and maybe some conflict regarding shell sharing (two or more products installed).   If all is functioning in the access to the SCM, then I imagine you can ignore this one.

The one above that related to the JVM_BIND...it would be interesting to know "when" this comes out... when you start or after you get the failure trying to use the preview.

Mark

• Kendall.Coolidge
    Kendall.Coolidge
    84 Posts

‏2014-04-04T13:06:20Z  
    • markevans
    • ‏2014-02-25T18:16:43Z

Hi,

The way to know if this has anything to do with your Preview problem is to delete the contents of the .log (or look at the error log) and see if new messages are issued when you try to run the preview.  

This error seems to have something to do with your SCM plugins and maybe some conflict regarding shell sharing (two or more products installed).   If all is functioning in the access to the SCM, then I imagine you can ignore this one.

The one above that related to the JVM_BIND...it would be interesting to know "when" this comes out... when you start or after you get the failure trying to use the preview.

Mark

A PMR has been opened for this: 48041,L6Q,000

Kendall