Is it possible debug an EGL JSF web application running WAS that is running on the server? I have an EGL JSF application I recently migrated to RBD 8.5 and WAS 8.5. Everything seems to run fine when I test the application within RBD, but when I install the application on our IBM i5, I get different results. I can't seem to figure out what is going on. Any suggestions?
clogs 2700016NQT186 Posts
Re: Debugging an EGL application on an IBM i?2013-05-22T14:03:55ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.
Unfortunately, it is not (well, not completely true, you can debug the generated Java code, but you cannot debug the EGL source code).
There is an RFE (7787) which has been out their for quite some time to implement such a feature, but up till now, nothing has happened with that (it has been open for 2.5 years). You can vote for it if you want.
Re: Debugging an EGL application on an IBM i?2013-05-22T20:31:07ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.
- clogs 2700016NQT
Well that kind of puts me in a pickle. I'm at a loss for how to diagnose what the issue is with my EGL application running on WAS 8.5. I seem to recall seeing something in the error logs on in WAS regarding a field mapping issues, but when I look now there is no such error. I've open up a PMR with IBM. Hopefully they may have some insight into how to fix the problem. Thank you for your reply.
clogs 2700016NQT186 Posts
Re: Debugging an EGL application on an IBM i?2013-05-23T06:31:41ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.
- msoucy 110000H7UN
Well, you could always put some writeStdout statements in your code at strategic locations (or use logging if you have that implemented). Maybe that will help identifying the cause.
Re: Debugging an EGL application on an IBM i?2013-06-05T17:42:12ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.
Okay, after spending several weeks working with IBM technical support I found the source of the problem. The problem is that the jdbc driver that is native to WAS Express 8.5 is working differently as compared to the Java toolkit drive (jt400.jar). This issue is how both drivers handle a column in a SQL table of data type ROWID. EGL does not support the SQL data type ROWID, so to get around this I had to define the field with a data type of STRING. When I ran the application both within RBD and on our IBM i5 using WAS Express 6.1 it worked fine. Somewhere along the line IBM changed how the jdbc driver handles the conversion of ROWIDs within WAS. I'm waiting to hear if IBM plans to fix this issue to make it the same as the Java toolkit as it was before. If not then I'm going to have to program a workaround for this. I guess the good thing for me is I only have one application that uses ROWIDs for fetching records from a SQL table.