Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-06-26T14:11:19Z by paul.brett
paul.brett
paul.brett
446 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic K.I.S.S.

‏2014-06-19T08:15:47Z |

Keep It Simple Silly!   (or something like that)

We all know the acronym, but do we all apply it when it comes to mapping?  Most of the time, the simplest solution is the most effective.

For example, I was given a map recently, where a child map was being called with a RUN() function, but it was ending with an error - "<Message>Disk write error</Message>".

Looking at the source for the child map, I could see that it was being used to rename a file.  File in, file out, no fuss.  The input and output Typetrees however, used a complicated repeating group structure, which was directly responsible (along with certain data structures) for the error reported.  The Typetree being used was a copy of one from the parent.  With data validation already done, there's no need to do it again.

Changing the Typetrees to simple text blobs on both input and output not only avoided this error, but probably gave the map execution a slight performance boost.

Map away, but keep it simple!

Thanks

Paul

Follow me on Twitter

• LearningWTX
    LearningWTX
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: K.I.S.S.

‏2014-06-26T13:36:29Z  in response to paul.brett

Hi Paul,

For my learning purpose, what would cause the "disk write error"?

thanks.

• paul.brett
      paul.brett
      446 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: K.I.S.S.

‏2014-06-26T14:11:19Z  in response to LearningWTX

The underlying cause here is a memory structure has been created (based on the complicated Typetree) and then due to a bug in WTX, a portion of data overruns this memory structure (maybe a size in bytes was incorrectly calculated) and this causes a 'disk write error'.

Thanks

Paul

Follow me on Twitter