Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-12-01T03:26:41Z by BostonBuckeye
sammyc
sammyc
106 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Training course for USRProps in SA?

‏2014-03-12T06:20:23Z |

We are considering writing a usrprops course for SA - would be WBT style delivered either self paced or remote instructor led and would be one day long?
Would this be of interest? Please reply with comments and feedback.
Thanks!

• This reply was deleted by Ch3 2014-03-12T13:32:23Z. Reason for deletion: Duplicate post - error given told to post again.
  • Ch3
    Ch3
    26 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Training course for USRProps in SA?

‏2014-03-12T13:29:39Z  in response to sammyc

A really good, concise, syntax reference guide would be much more helpful than a course. With a well written guide and some examples I think it will serve the majority of the users, at least those with a basic understanding of programming language structures.

I think the challenge is that to write a meta-model you've got to understand the architecture framework intimately. Any course would be better structured around eliciting and documenting requirements for a metamodel including appropriate data modelling techniques.

I maintain a very extensive USRPROPS file because we've got a very specific, non-standard, framework we are following. I picked up basic USRPROPS syntax in a matter of a couple hours and have extended it since then; the biggest gaps haven't been implementing the syntax wrong, rather creating a relationship that shouldnt exist or should have been a property.

As for format, I think WBT is fine but you've got to have materials to back it up.

• jvogel-11
    jvogel-11
    51 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-28T18:33:53Z  in response to sammyc

Yes, a WBT with a Unit/Lesson/Topic format.  The question is, what will that structure will look like?  To support the WBT, definitely have syntax reference guides and support materials that Ch3 recommends. 

This forum has been a great help to me specifically over the last three years, and there is lots of knowledge on how to work in SA.  If the WBT can link directly to this knowledge - that would be great.  Even with the forum upgrade flap last year where many of my own and other's posts got accredited to the Administrator profile - I'm still very thankful to all the SA SME's that have helped build this forum over these years. 

On a seperate note though, I am concerned that the few of us that contribute and participate on this forum are the few real users of the SA tool. Maybe this formum is not the best indicator of the user base, but does anybody else know approximately how many active SA users there are out there? 

• astinnett
      astinnett
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-10-29T16:15:51Z  in response to jvogel-11

Joe,

I don't know how many users you have in this forum or their level of knowledge, but we have over 1300 in the IBM Rational System Architect Users Group on LinkedIn.  I sometimes recognize names in here as also being in our group on LinkedIn, because they post in both places. 

Whereas this forum seems to focus on specific issues encountered while using System Architect (SA), as it should, I think our LinkedIn Group goes beyond the technical issues, although we do sometimes get code snippets and questions related to the idiosyncracies of SA.  We also have discussions revolving around the use of architectures, sometime specifically related to the SA models and objects.  Many of our members are IBM folks, IBM Partners, and other extremely knowledgeable system architects.

Please feel free to check out the Group on LinkedIn.  We are a "Private" group, but anyone who works with SA, DoDAF, ToGAF, or related applications (based on information in their LinkedIn profile), is welcome to join.

Respecfully,

Anne Stinnett

Updated on 2014-10-29T17:10:35Z at 2014-10-29T17:10:35Z by astinnett
      • jvogel-11
        jvogel-11
        51 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-10-29T16:26:00Z  in response to astinnett

Thank you Anne - I will have to give LinkedIn a try.

• sammyc
    sammyc
    106 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-28T22:41:32Z  in response to sammyc

So far we plan an Instructor Led format - onsite in classroom and remote delivery for interactive sessions. Will come with workbook and manual for student use and covered in 2 days time.

We are also going to offer public Remote ILT session so people can sign up for a scheduled time in advance and do it from their desktop with the courseware content.

• BostonBuckeye
    BostonBuckeye
    24 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-12-01T03:26:41Z  in response to sammyc

I have such a course at MITRE. It is 1 and 1/2 days. USRPROPS is more than a language when you consider you can create your own Diagrams, Symbols and their graphic representations, Definitions and their implicit (LISTOF, ONEOF) relationships to other definitions. Now throw in all the ways to graphically depict a single object, display properties both horizontally and vertically, design dialog boxes and finally create 2-way matrix products and even 3-way (hello ABM) matrix products... and now you've got a complete USRPROPS course.

What people fail to understand is that USRPROPS is a language with a fixed syntax and that you are, in effect, programming in a language. To people who have never programmed in their life - they will struggle with USRPROPS mainly because of its unforgiving syntax - meaning if you make a mistake - all you get is a line # of where the error occurred. Good luck figuring it out yourself.

nCustomization Basics
    nUSRPROPS Workflow
    nDiagram, Symbol, and Definition Basics
    nPROPERTY Statements
    nLISTS of Things
    nSpecifying DISPLAY of Values in Symbols, LEGEND
    nCustom Graphic Symbols, Extending Existing Symbols
    nLISTOF, ONEOF
    nMatrix Editing 101, 201
    nModifying the Aesthetic Look of Dialogs: LAYOUTS, GROUPS, CHAPTERS