Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-06-24T13:34:03Z by ivyho
rick.lacy
rick.lacy
15 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Trouble installing RAD 9 beta

‏2013-05-10T19:42:09Z |

I am unable to install RAD 9 beta. 

I tried downloading the Installation Manager from here: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/wasdev/entry/download_rad_eap?lang=en

When I double-click the resulting exe, the Installation Manager starts to load and prompts me for userid and password.  I enter these.  Then the Installation Manager looks like it's searching the RAD 9 beta repository.  However, before it completes this it simply exists with no error message.

I've tried this on two different machines.

Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8 64 bit

Both machines already have an Installation Manger installed because they have RAD 8.5 installed.  I remember from prior betas (8.5) that the Installation Manager instance that got installed for the beta was completely separate, so I didn't think this would be a problem.

Also, I was able to install the RAD 9 beta to a different Windows 7 64 bit machine prior to the latest beta refresh.

Any ideas for troubleshooting?  Anyone else got the RAD 9 beta installed recently?

• ivyho
    ivyho
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Trouble installing RAD 9 beta

‏2013-06-10T02:16:27Z  in response to rick.lacy

If you already have an installation manager installed, you do not need another installation manager.

You can just use the existing installation manager to install the RAD 9 beta.( you are only allow one  installation manager on one machine)

You can download the images for the RAD 9 beta, set up the repository in your existing installation manager to point to the RAD 9 beta  images location.

You should be able to install  RAD 9 beta..

Are you still having issue?

• rick.lacy
      rick.lacy
      15 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-18T12:40:41Z  in response to ivyho

Thanks for responding.  RAD 9 is apparently GA now, so I guess it's a moot point.

For the record, I did download the images and was able to install the beta that way.

I disagree with your scenario of a single installation manager - while it might be possible to use your regular installation manager for betas, I do not find it desirable and it is not the way RAD betas have worked in the past.  Even the installer for beta 9  happily created a new installation manager just for the beta at C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Installation Manager WS_Beta.  

Once I downloaded the images, I think I see the problem with the remote repository.  The repository was https://www.ibm.com/software/repositorymanager/com.ibm.rational.application.developer.v9beta2/.  However, it does not appear to be up.  You cannot even connect to it from the Preferences in installation manager.  This is very frustrating if you were trying to install it from the remote repository rather than the images because the installation manager would just crash.  This option was effectively taken away from us with no official response / best practice from IBM.

Unfortunately, I didn't have much luck with what I wanted out of the beta.  I was mostly excited about the upgrade to Eclipse 4.2.x.  We have several third party plugins  we'd like to use but that simply don't support a version as old as 3.6.  However, attempts to install these into the beta caused RAD to crash (I can install them fine on a vanilla JavaEE Eclipse 4.2.x release).  I'll submit reports for these later, though I'm not hopeful this can be resolved anytime soon.  Most unfortunate. 

• ivyho
        ivyho
        3 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-19T02:58:38Z  in response to rick.lacy

Rick:

Thank for taking time to try out.

Just curious what third party plugins are you using?

I think the future  direction is to improve the ease of installing the third party plugins.

Your feedback is really important :-)

You may want to use the RAD 9 trial to try.

http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/brand.jsp?b=Rational

update links

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rcss=rad&rs=2042&uid=swg27007823#ver90

• rick.lacy
          rick.lacy
          15 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-24T12:50:55Z  in response to ivyho

After trying out RAD 9 GA, I'm happy to say that at least some of the problems with plugins have been resolved.

The highest priority one for us was the Sencha plugin for Ext-JS code completion.  It appears to install and work great on RAD 9.  Previously it had installed in the RAD 9 beta but caused RAD to crash upon launch, so this is definitely an improvement.

I was also interested in trying out pieces of the Sprint Tool Suite.  I requires Mylyn and GEF, which seem to install ok.  Installing the full STS causes RAD to become unstable and crash on launch, but I probably don't want / need the full thing anyway and in any case it is less critical.  I might try to install it piece by piece later to see where exactly the problem is.

It was good experience that the most recent EGit and Maven connector installed fine.  A little puzzled why EGit doesn't just come with RAD at this point, but at least no install troubles.

Using a tool based on a modern version of Eclipse feels good - please keep it up to date!

• ivyho
            ivyho
            3 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-24T13:34:03Z  in response to rick.lacy

That is good news!  Rick, I appreciate your time to try it out. :-)