Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-11-14T08:41:10Z by SouvikD
maximimini
maximimini
10 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic What are the advantages of uisng interface table in MEA?

‏2013-06-25T02:13:43Z |

What are the advantages of uisng interface table in MEA?.. What it does basically.. How values are passing to interface table then MBOs.. thaks

Mini

• bportaluri
    bportaluri
    48 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: What are the advantages of uisng interface table in MEA?

‏2013-06-25T13:28:57Z  in response to maximimini

Here is the link to the documentation

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v49r1/topic/com.ibm.mbs.doc/gp_intfrmwk/c_int_tables_overview.html

• SASHULL
      SASHULL
      198 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-25T19:50:20Z  in response to bportaluri

Advantages of all the different methods depends on what you're trying to achieve. I'll exclude discussing web services as I presume that it is irrelevant for your purposes (processing typically one record at a time through a web application to provide instant feedback to the user that it's been submitted) which is the SOAP or REST API. I'll also lump all the flat file types into one (XML, CSV, etc.) for the comparison.

An IFACE table and flat file integration can both be used to load a large number of records. The advantages of an IFACE table in my opinion are that an IFACE table allows you to use native SQL queries to interpret the data in your integration, whereas you could spend a lot of time trying to identify the information in flat files. If you need to troubleshoot why the integration did what it did you have to get access to the server and use file searching utilities which are nowhere near as efficient.

Since it's an object you can also reference the object in Maximo applications to show the data from your integration. Again, it's an easier way to see the information that is relevant. You can even have different end points that point to external databases (doesn't need to be the same type of Database or on the same server) so you can directly connect another system.

There are some drawbacks however. The first is that if you load a lot of records you need to have some period of deleting records or you'll use a lot of disk space for your database, which causes backups to take longer and restores to take longer if necessary. Out of box it also doesn't create indexes that are relevant so if you plan on exposing it for searching you will need to manually define your own indexes. If new attributes are added to the objects that make up the IFACE table, the user must exclude the field in the object structure or recreate the iface table otherwise the integration will stop.

• maximimini
        maximimini
        10 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-26T13:39:55Z  in response to SASHULL

Hi ,

Thanks for your response.  Can we import the data directly  to the MBO instead of using iface table?

Thanks

Mini

• SASHULL
          SASHULL
          198 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-26T15:19:32Z  in response to maximimini

Yes and no. Some third party addons state that they go directly through the MBO framework versus MIF but you're still defining some sort of format and loading the data then I don't see any advantage to it (not to mention that none that I know of are free, so you're buying additional software not made by IBM).

By no means are you obligated to use an IFACE table but for any type of integration I would recommend taking advantage of the MEA/MIF framework. These still go through the MBO framework it just has steps inbetween (which again, the third party products would as well). Perhaps you have a specific concern regarding the MEA/MIF framework that I can try to clarify/explain to see why you don't want to use it? 

• bob@work
    bob@work
    19 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-28T14:18:43Z  in response to maximimini

Keep in mind too that IFACE tables don't process null value updates.  So you'll need to implement processing rules or classes to handle these types of updates.

• SouvikD
      SouvikD
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-14T08:41:10Z  in response to bob@work

Hi,

I have a requirement where I need to fetch the Latest status of SR from other legacy system to Maximo.

I am planning to do it by flat file structure.When ever the updation will be done for the SR status in the other legacy system the updated flat file will be generated in other legacy system's server.From there I am planning to take the flat file to maximo server with some ETL tool like informatica.Then I will import those flat files in the maximo application from the maximo server.

Please let me know if the process is ok or I can go with some better approach for this process.

Thanks,

Souvik