IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-12-23T20:28:44Z by goonitsupport
Shailesh Malkar
Shailesh Malkar
58 Posts

Pinned topic Custom RFC call in ISIM

‏2013-12-18T05:15:58Z |

Hi All,

I have requirement where I need to call a custom RFC for fetching some extra details from SAP HR. So is there any way to achieve it, since SAP Adapter makes call to only restricted BAPI's.

Thanks,

Shailesh S. Malkar 

• franzw
    franzw
    333 Posts

Re: Custom RFC call in ISIM

‏2013-12-18T07:08:35Z  

If you look at the adapter calls you will see that it starts out calling a couple of FMs to see whether the environment is CUA or not...

Technically there is no difference between BAPIs and FMs - it is more a question of packaging of functionality where a BAPI is a complete business function.

if you are using the SAP NW Adapter that uses SAP JCo version 3 be aware that this currently makes it impossible to run BAPIs that requires BAPI_TRANSACTION_COMMIT will not work due to the underlying change in the SAP JCo connection handling.

Another thing to be aware of is the difference how to the adapter handles structures vs. tables - IIRC you need to make an extra level in the XML when working with tables - I believe this is described in the SAP Security Redbook : http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg248015.html - if you run into this problem and do not know how to get it fixed let us know and I will dig into my archives....

The way I normally develop this is by using the SE37 transaction - first I get to work there - then I develop the XML and then the actual stylesheet to be included in the provisioning - it is best practice to add new stylesheets - do not touch the IBM delivered ones.

Let me know how you get along - this is one of my pet projects :-)

HTH

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

• Shailesh Malkar
    Shailesh Malkar
    58 Posts

‏2013-12-19T03:44:19Z  
    • franzw
    • ‏2013-12-18T07:08:35Z

If you look at the adapter calls you will see that it starts out calling a couple of FMs to see whether the environment is CUA or not...

Technically there is no difference between BAPIs and FMs - it is more a question of packaging of functionality where a BAPI is a complete business function.

if you are using the SAP NW Adapter that uses SAP JCo version 3 be aware that this currently makes it impossible to run BAPIs that requires BAPI_TRANSACTION_COMMIT will not work due to the underlying change in the SAP JCo connection handling.

Another thing to be aware of is the difference how to the adapter handles structures vs. tables - IIRC you need to make an extra level in the XML when working with tables - I believe this is described in the SAP Security Redbook : http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg248015.html - if you run into this problem and do not know how to get it fixed let us know and I will dig into my archives....

The way I normally develop this is by using the SE37 transaction - first I get to work there - then I develop the XML and then the actual stylesheet to be included in the provisioning - it is best practice to add new stylesheets - do not touch the IBM delivered ones.

Let me know how you get along - this is one of my pet projects :-)

HTH

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

Hi Franz,

Thanks for your prompt reply. But our requirement is not related to modifying the SAP NW Adapter. But it is about getting the missing data from SAP HR via a RFC call. We are provisioning an account which is not SAP based. So how to achieve it.

Thanks,

Shailesh S. Malkar

Updated on 2013-12-19T03:49:09Z at 2013-12-19T03:49:09Z by Shailesh Malkar
  • franzw
    franzw
    333 Posts

‏2013-12-19T06:50:50Z  

Hi Franz,

Thanks for your prompt reply. But our requirement is not related to modifying the SAP NW Adapter. But it is about getting the missing data from SAP HR via a RFC call. We are provisioning an account which is not SAP based. So how to achieve it.

Thanks,

Shailesh S. Malkar

Basically the method is the same using TDI and the SAP ABAP Components.

But I simply do not understand what context you are working in - what SAP Adapter are you talking about if not the ISIM SAP NW Adapter ?

If this is HR Feed related, you should do the call out in TDI - this is both documented in the TDI documentation and in the redbook.

But I cannot help you further unless you explain in more detail what your problem is. Getting missing data from SAP HR via an RFC call is technical solution  - not the problem.

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

• Shailesh Malkar
    Shailesh Malkar
    58 Posts

‏2013-12-19T09:22:20Z  
    • franzw
    • ‏2013-12-19T06:50:50Z

Basically the method is the same using TDI and the SAP ABAP Components.

But I simply do not understand what context you are working in - what SAP Adapter are you talking about if not the ISIM SAP NW Adapter ?

If this is HR Feed related, you should do the call out in TDI - this is both documented in the TDI documentation and in the redbook.

But I cannot help you further unless you explain in more detail what your problem is. Getting missing data from SAP HR via an RFC call is technical solution  - not the problem.

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

Hi Franz,

Sorry for creating confusion here. Let me explain the details once again. We are trying to provision one account from ISIM. That account gets created when we enter a row in a database. So for this to achieve we are using ADT i.e. we are creating Custom Adapter. While creating an account we need to insert user related details into database row. We are getting these details from custom object class for storing employee data. In that custom object class we have fairly all details except two or three. So, we are trying to get these remaining details from SAP HR via the custom RFC call. So in the add operation we need to call this RFC by which we can get rest of the details also. So how to call this RFC in add operation.

Thanks,

Shailesh S. Malkar

• franzw
    franzw
    333 Posts

‏2013-12-19T09:40:02Z  

Hi Franz,

Sorry for creating confusion here. Let me explain the details once again. We are trying to provision one account from ISIM. That account gets created when we enter a row in a database. So for this to achieve we are using ADT i.e. we are creating Custom Adapter. While creating an account we need to insert user related details into database row. We are getting these details from custom object class for storing employee data. In that custom object class we have fairly all details except two or three. So, we are trying to get these remaining details from SAP HR via the custom RFC call. So in the add operation we need to call this RFC by which we can get rest of the details also. So how to call this RFC in add operation.

Thanks,

Shailesh S. Malkar

Thanks - the problem is now much clearer :-)

First a general comment - what you are trying to do is actual not a good design - it would be MUCH better to include the attribute from SAP HR in you person entity and then let a provisioning policy send the data to your custom adapter.

The method of getting the data from SAP HR is easiest done using the TDI SAP ABAP Application Server FC. That will remove you from the burden of setting up the nasty connection stuff in JCo/JAVA.

The FC requires some setup (downloading SAP JCo and setting it up in TDI) - but it is relatively simple to use - just go through the documentation here : http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v2r1/topic/com.ibm.IBMDI.doc_7.2/referenceguide538.htm?path=8_7_7_2#ch2_connector1

IIRC there is also an example in the Redbook which you really should study if you work with ISIM to SAP integration...

HTH

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

• goonitsupport
    goonitsupport
    99 Posts

‏2013-12-23T20:28:44Z  

Hi Franz,

Thanks,

Shailesh S. Malkar

Just a suggestion you could use this RESTful extension to call TDI from within your Add Operation if that is how you have to do it.

http://www.goonit.co.uk/extensions/restfulExtension.html

Best regards