• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-08-28T19:04:24Z by lesleyajohnson76
lesleyajohnson76
lesleyajohnson76
126 Posts

Pinned topic Advice needed on Asset Inventory and Service Requests

‏2013-08-28T03:24:29Z |

Hi, 

I am on SCCD 7.5.1 (Windows). I would like to get some advice or recommendations on best practices for the following scenario:

A hardware asset  (belonging to a customer) will be received onsite and checked into a locked storeroom. The customer asset data will need to be received into SCCD. The hardware will, at some point, need to be checked out of the storage location and work will be performed on it. The technician will then return the asset back to the storage location and check it back in, after updating the record. The hardware would then be sent back to the customer, leaving the storage location and site entirely.

The question I'm posing for discussion is which application/(s) would best suit something this scenario? It seems to me that change would be overkill as there is no real connection of the hardware to other enterprise systems or services (ie risk analysis, affects on other assets/services). The technician will likely be the owner of the ticket, perform the work and update the record themselves. Would Work Orders or Service Requests be more appropriate? Or is is a matter of preference? What would be the best practice process for checking in to the storeroom from offsite and out of the room back to the customer? If we opt not to use Change, would there be any real need to create CI records from the assets?

Thanks for any discussion or guidance!

• Chief_Max
    Chief_Max
    28 Posts

Re: Advice needed on Asset Inventory and Service Requests

‏2013-08-28T17:57:05Z  

The needs of the business process should define your choice of tools. Either Work Order or Service Request might fill the need - or maybe a combination of the two. I tend to ask, "What must be done between stages to push the work forward?" Workflow is needed if there are notifications, approvals, or processing that must be done between stages.

I'm currently working on a project with a similar objective, but we intend to use Self Service as a way for the user to request the item or service. So there will be approvals and notifications to deal with. We also are trying to determine when to close the ticket: when item is picked up? In your case it might be at a point after the item is given back to the customer.

We, too, are struggling with CIs. I want to use the concept, because I think it will be increasingly beneficial as we do more with assets, SRs, and workorders. Incidentally, our 7.5.1 upgrade emplaced 200+ CI related classifications.

As for Change Management, your situation sounds more like workorder than a Change. My concept of Change is more about changes to an in-place system, such as a fix to a report, rolling out a patch, or an upgrade that must be planned and tested before the actual change is implemented.

-Greg

• lesleyajohnson76
    lesleyajohnson76
    126 Posts

Re: Advice needed on Asset Inventory and Service Requests

‏2013-08-28T19:04:24Z  
    • Chief_Max
    • ‏2013-08-28T17:57:05Z

The needs of the business process should define your choice of tools. Either Work Order or Service Request might fill the need - or maybe a combination of the two. I tend to ask, "What must be done between stages to push the work forward?" Workflow is needed if there are notifications, approvals, or processing that must be done between stages.

I'm currently working on a project with a similar objective, but we intend to use Self Service as a way for the user to request the item or service. So there will be approvals and notifications to deal with. We also are trying to determine when to close the ticket: when item is picked up? In your case it might be at a point after the item is given back to the customer.

We, too, are struggling with CIs. I want to use the concept, because I think it will be increasingly beneficial as we do more with assets, SRs, and workorders. Incidentally, our 7.5.1 upgrade emplaced 200+ CI related classifications.

As for Change Management, your situation sounds more like workorder than a Change. My concept of Change is more about changes to an in-place system, such as a fix to a report, rolling out a patch, or an upgrade that must be planned and tested before the actual change is implemented.

-Greg

Hey, thanks, Greg! I appreciate your input and experience with the process. This is very helpful as I try to design what we will do.