Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-23T15:12:39Z by nate_duncan
nate_duncan
nate_duncan
7 Posts

Pinned topic Page just Refreshes on Post Submit

‏2013-09-20T11:54:16Z |

I have an issue I am trying to figure out for several days.  

Basically here is the situation I need help with.  We have an application that is built using WEF 7.0.1.  It is a very simple application that just allows some users to approve leave.  I have link builders set up on the page that are supposed to submit the form and invode action list that then calls a web service to process the data and then rebuild the same page.  This process works most of the time when the user clicks these links.  However, we are seeing that sometimes when the link is clicked, the post happens (and is sending all the form data) but the action list method behind that link never gets called.  And the portlet page just gets refreshed.  We have logged all types of data and we are sure that the post never makes it into the action list.  

I have attached my model.  

The link builder named leaveApprovals_approveButton is what I am having issues with.  Any help you may have will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Nate

Attachments

• nate_duncan
    nate_duncan
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Page just Refreshes on Post Submit

‏2013-09-23T15:12:39Z  
    • mburati
    • ‏2013-09-20T15:15:41Z

Agreed,  if the second request is going to a different server that doesn't have the session, then that does seem like a likely cluster configuration issue.

In that case, it may be best to contact Portal Support and open a PMR to help diagnose what's wrong withe the cluster configuration.

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati 
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.

mburati,

Thanks for your help.  The issue seemed to be with the Plug-in configuration on the HTTP Server.  One of the servers seemed to have had the HTTPCloneId value set incorrectly.  Once we fixed this issue, we have not had any issues reported.  

Thanks again.  

Nate

• mburati
    mburati
    2579 Posts

‏2013-09-20T14:39:34Z  

When a request fails for unexplained reasons, the first things to look for are typically:

- Any error in the portal's SystemOut or SystemErr logs

- Any error in the deployed application's logs (for a WEF WAR this would be in WEB-INF/logs/event.log in the deployed WAR (not the project))

- Any Javascript error in the browser console (eg, right-click inspect element on the button/link before clicking it in FF/Firebug or CHrome  or use IE's F12 dev tools).    If a WEF AJAX request for a partial page refresh returns an error OR a page other than what it's expecting to place in the partial refresh region, it assumes there may be an expired session or missing session on the server and it tries a full page browser refresh to get the server to give it a new session (and if in portal to send you back to the portal login page).

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati 
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.
  • nate_duncan
    nate_duncan
    7 Posts

‏2013-09-20T14:53:18Z  

mburati,

We have monitored the SystemOut and the SystemErr and they are clean.  Also we have custom logging that we have added to the applications log and they are all valid.  Also, there is no javascript error happening.  I will keep you updated on the final solution but it appears that it may not be related to Portlet factory.

What we are seeing after more debugging is the first request in our production environment seems to go to one server, then the post was appearing to be getting submitted to a different server, therefore the session of the portlet state was not being saved across servers in the farm configuration.  In my logic, I am not doing anything for that and I am letting the portal handle all of that within the WEF Framework.  

Is there a way to maintain the portlet session state in the farm configuration when submitting requests between all servers?

My teminology may be bad but let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,Nate

• mburati
    mburati
    2579 Posts

‏2013-09-20T15:15:41Z  

mburati,

We have monitored the SystemOut and the SystemErr and they are clean.  Also we have custom logging that we have added to the applications log and they are all valid.  Also, there is no javascript error happening.  I will keep you updated on the final solution but it appears that it may not be related to Portlet factory.

What we are seeing after more debugging is the first request in our production environment seems to go to one server, then the post was appearing to be getting submitted to a different server, therefore the session of the portlet state was not being saved across servers in the farm configuration.  In my logic, I am not doing anything for that and I am letting the portal handle all of that within the WEF Framework.  

Is there a way to maintain the portlet session state in the farm configuration when submitting requests between all servers?

My teminology may be bad but let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,Nate

Agreed,  if the second request is going to a different server that doesn't have the session, then that does seem like a likely cluster configuration issue.

In that case, it may be best to contact Portal Support and open a PMR to help diagnose what's wrong withe the cluster configuration.

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati 
  • nate_duncan
    nate_duncan
    7 Posts

‏2013-09-23T15:12:39Z  
    • mburati
    • ‏2013-09-20T15:15:41Z

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati 

mburati,

Thanks for your help.  The issue seemed to be with the Plug-in configuration on the HTTP Server.  One of the servers seemed to have had the HTTPCloneId value set incorrectly.  Once we fixed this issue, we have not had any issues reported.  

Thanks again.  

Nate