Topic
  • 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-08-13T05:22:06Z by Taemin
Taemin
Taemin
5 Posts

Pinned topic Is there any Agile evaluation method?

‏2014-07-16T13:11:43Z |

- Is there any Agile evaluation method?
- Does IBM conduct Agile evaluation on IBM internal organization/teams?

In case of CMMI, as we know, there is official evaluation method - SCAMPI from SEI - and rating from level 1 ~ 5.
But I haven't heard Agile evaluation method yet.
Certificates, such as certified agile master, is about a person not a team nor organization.

Any comments would be appreciated.

• Steve_Crago
    Steve_Crago
    3 Posts

Re: Is there any Agile evaluation method?

‏2014-07-17T10:13:29Z  

Short answer is no, there is no internal IBM agile evaluation method that I am aware of.  IBM does not have an internal Agile Center of Excellence (CoE) or Agile Center of Competency (CoC) that I am aware of; although I will admit it is desperately needed, the problem is that, at least on the GBS side, there isn't a group or executive willing to fund and staff it. 

We have created Agile CoE's and CoC's for one of our larger clients (AT&T), however it is strictly governed by the requirements of AT&T's Agile CoC and is enforced by a very strict and monitored contract.  We are also only allowed to use it for the AT&T client.

On the GBS side, the de facto agile framework is Agile With Discipline (AWD).  However, it's use and implementation internally as well as externally is not mandatory, nor is the implementation of AWD evaluated to ensure compliance with the framework.

Each project, whether internal IBM or external client, is free to use whichever agile framework that is suitable for that particular project, unless of course the key stakeholders/project executives have dictated it particular framework or process.

I hope this provides you with the information you were looking for.

Feel free to reach out to me via email of you have any other questions regarding agile.

Steve Crago

• AJPotter
    AJPotter
    1 Post

‏2014-07-18T08:15:48Z  

Short answer is no, there is no internal IBM agile evaluation method that I am aware of.  IBM does not have an internal Agile Center of Excellence (CoE) or Agile Center of Competency (CoC) that I am aware of; although I will admit it is desperately needed, the problem is that, at least on the GBS side, there isn't a group or executive willing to fund and staff it. 

We have created Agile CoE's and CoC's for one of our larger clients (AT&T), however it is strictly governed by the requirements of AT&T's Agile CoC and is enforced by a very strict and monitored contract.  We are also only allowed to use it for the AT&T client.

On the GBS side, the de facto agile framework is Agile With Discipline (AWD).  However, it's use and implementation internally as well as externally is not mandatory, nor is the implementation of AWD evaluated to ensure compliance with the framework.

Each project, whether internal IBM or external client, is free to use whichever agile framework that is suitable for that particular project, unless of course the key stakeholders/project executives have dictated it particular framework or process.

Feel free to reach out to me via email of you have any other questions regarding agile.

Steve Crago

In the UK GBS has a template that we are using with our clients which is becoming our standard. This looks to assess behaviours / tools / techniques and evidence of adoption of the agile manifesto. It doesn't aim to give a score on Scrum(ness) or adherence to other approaches, largely because most organisations necessarily tailor the frameworks to fit their governance / project environments.

• monica914
    monica914
    1 Post

‏2014-07-21T20:23:08Z  

You might find the DevOps self-assessment useful - this one is external: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1659087/IBM-DevOps-Self-Assessment,  There is also an internal one https://ibm.biz/BdFE6A

• Taemin
    Taemin
    5 Posts

‏2014-07-22T07:04:25Z  

Steve Crago

Steve,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. It helped me a lot especially to understand how GBS takes advantage of AWD which is registered at methodweb and how agile executes in externally contracted service deal.

For your information,

I have introduced couple of my clients, whose main business is SW development and managing large internal SW development team, short Youtube video on IBM's agile transformation. It was quite useful to understand how IBM have been through to adopt agile practices at enterprise perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4eWoNpGDkU

Now I guess, the video is mainly about internal SW development team who make products, such as Rational, AIM, etc., to sell external clients. In case of service contract, it depends on each contract's specific condition and that's why it might not be easy to support agile adoption with trained experts such as agile coach or any kind of financial support from organizational perspective.

• Taemin
    Taemin
    5 Posts

‏2014-07-22T07:12:14Z  
    • AJPotter
    • ‏2014-07-18T08:15:48Z

In the UK GBS has a template that we are using with our clients which is becoming our standard. This looks to assess behaviours / tools / techniques and evidence of adoption of the agile manifesto. It doesn't aim to give a score on Scrum(ness) or adherence to other approaches, largely because most organisations necessarily tailor the frameworks to fit their governance / project environments.

Thank A.JPorter for your feedback.

I used "Self-check" to evaluate how client doing well on practice adoption. Template you mentioned might be similar approach. Self-check either does not provide any official rating on adoption of any specific framework (?) such as Scrum, SAFe. But it was quite useful to evaluate ourselves how we are doing well with practices that we decided to deploy.

• Taemin
    Taemin
    5 Posts

‏2014-07-22T07:14:16Z  
    • monica914
    • ‏2014-07-21T20:23:08Z

You might find the DevOps self-assessment useful - this one is external: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1659087/IBM-DevOps-Self-Assessment,  There is also an internal one https://ibm.biz/BdFE6A

Thanks monica. Let me try myself.

Though it might not be any official rating framework, questions mentioned in DevOps self-assessment would be quite useful to evaluate target organization's maturity.

• Steve_Crago
    Steve_Crago
    3 Posts

‏2014-07-22T11:20:34Z  
    • Taemin
    • ‏2014-07-22T07:04:25Z

Steve,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. It helped me a lot especially to understand how GBS takes advantage of AWD which is registered at methodweb and how agile executes in externally contracted service deal.

For your information,

I have introduced couple of my clients, whose main business is SW development and managing large internal SW development team, short Youtube video on IBM's agile transformation. It was quite useful to understand how IBM have been through to adopt agile practices at enterprise perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4eWoNpGDkU

Now I guess, the video is mainly about internal SW development team who make products, such as Rational, AIM, etc., to sell external clients. In case of service contract, it depends on each contract's specific condition and that's why it might not be easy to support agile adoption with trained experts such as agile coach or any kind of financial support from organizational perspective.

Taemin:

I forgot to mention that alot of the information on AWD that is in methodweb is outdated.  Unfortunately, there isn't a sponsor that's willing to provide funding for it's upkeep.

However, I have an article that I published last June on developerworks that contains updated information about the process.  Here is the link:  High Level Discussion of IBM's Agile With Discipline

Paul Gorans, has been updating AWD for use specifically in the GBS Federal arena.

• Millard
    Millard
    2 Posts

‏2014-07-24T14:45:14Z  

We used to have a published agile self-check/evaluation mechanism. See http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/edge/08/may08/kroll_krebs/ and https://jazz.net/blog/index.php/2011/01/26/what-is-your-agile-fitness/ and something of a practice around MCIF. Since you're internal IBM, if I can find it, I can send you a copy of the Self-Check spreadsheet assessment tool. Email me if interested.

• ScottWill
    ScottWill
    4 Posts

‏2014-08-11T19:31:02Z  

Steve Crago

Hey Steve:

Just thought I'd let you know that Software Group has had an Agile Center of Competence since ~2006 (I was one of the founding members).  Late last year it was combined with a couple of other small teams to create the SWG DevOps Center of Competency.  You can check out the following internal links to learn more:

Learn more about the SWG DevOps Center of Competency:  http://w3.devops.ibm.com/about/
    Learn more about the agile and the former Agile CoC:  https://w3-connections.ibm.com/wikis/home?lang=en-us#!/wiki/AgileCoC

Thanks!
    Scott

Updated on 2014-08-11T19:31:51Z at 2014-08-11T19:31:51Z by ScottWill
  • Taemin
    Taemin
    5 Posts

‏2014-08-13T05:22:06Z  
    • Millard
    • ‏2014-07-24T14:45:14Z

We used to have a published agile self-check/evaluation mechanism. See http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/edge/08/may08/kroll_krebs/ and https://jazz.net/blog/index.php/2011/01/26/what-is-your-agile-fitness/ and something of a practice around MCIF. Since you're internal IBM, if I can find it, I can send you a copy of the Self-Check spreadsheet assessment tool. Email me if interested.

Thanks Millard for your feedback. I know and like MCIF and Self-Check. I used Self-Check couple of times with client engagements. Self-check was easy, useful and intuitive to discuss with client. Thanks.