Topic
36 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-06-16T23:25:32Z by David Bailie
AndrewPaier
AndrewPaier
711 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Announcing Brazos Toolkit

‏2013-06-06T15:23:44Z |

I'm pleased to announce the general availability of BP3's Brazos toolkit to the IBM BPM community.

What is Brazos?

The Brazos toolkit is a responsive UI intended to be a replacement for the coach views that were shipped with IBM BPM.  It leverages the IBM Supported Coach View framework to allow you to easily create good looking UI for your customers.  And because the toolkit was created with responsive fundamentals as the core goal, you can create UI that will allow your coaches to seamlessly transition from Desktop to Tablet to Mobile.

How much will this cost me?

BP3 is providing the Brazos toolkit to any user who registers for free.  You are not entitled to charge your customer for access to the toolkit, but you are permitted to use it on any engagement you would like.  We are also committed to keeping a free release for the community as long as we are maintaining this toolkit.  

What?  Why?

We really believe that IBM BPM is a product that can make a significant difference for a company.  We created this toolkit because we were tired of BPM sales and solutions spending far too much time concerned about UI and too little on getting the core process right for the customer.  We wanted to remove the UI from any conversation around the overall sophistication of BPM.  

BPM is what we do.  The more successful BPM projects there are, the better the ecosystem is for our company.

So what is the hidden cost?

No hidden cost.  We really aren't charging you.  We will offer support contracts to BPM customers who would like to have some sort of assurance that they won't be left in a position of maintaining the toolkit on their own and ensuring compatibility with future IBM BPM releases, but that is not required.  The free version of the toolkit will be maintained on a BPM release of BP3's choice (right now 8.0.1).  If you want a version of the toolkit that runs on a release that BP3 is not currently supporting in the "free" tier (e.g. 8.0.0, 8.5) then you will need to either ensure compatibility with that release on your own, or have a support contract with BP3.

Can I alter the code and still use it?

Yes.  However please note that if you do not submit your changes back to BP3 (a process we are still ironing out) then you have effectively "branched" the toolkit and may have to make the same customizations if you want to leverage a future release.  

What's in the next version?

This release was our first public release of the toolkit, and we are already learning a lot from the people who have used Brazos.  We have a June release planned that add the following capabilities.

• Compatibility with IE 8
  • Handling custom date formats in the date picker.  (currently uses OS preference)
  • Drag and Drop columns in the Table control
  • Visibility Settings (Read, Write, None, Required)
  • Drag and Drop File uploads for ECM
  • Alignment options for controls

Why should I use this?

Well, as I said the goal here is to be able to give you an responsive UI that is easy to implement and maintain.  It is important to note that this is the primary UI toolkit BP3 will be using on all of its BPM engagements.  This means we have a vested interest in maintaining and updating its capabilities.  The primary problem we see with the current IBM Coach offerings is that the people who created them do not have to use them to deliver solutions for customers.  As such we all encounter use cases that the developers either did not foresee, or whose solutions are poorly documented.

Our team will be using this product every day.  We are not tied to a product release cycle and can update this as needed.  And, as you know, we certainly keep an eye on this forum.  (Our table control is much quicker than the OOTB control, FYI)

How do I get it?

Click Hereto find out more details about the Brazos Toolkit.

Click Here to register for the toolkit and receive a download link.

Andrew Paier  |  Director  |  BP3 Global, Inc.BP3 Global's Website  |  Twitter  |  Linkedin  |  Google+  |  Blogs

Updated on 2013-06-07T02:26:38Z at 2013-06-07T02:26:38Z by AndrewPaier
  • balab3
    balab3
    21 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Announcing Brazos Toolkit

‏2013-06-13T13:12:16Z  in response to AndrewPaier

Dear Andrew

I'm unable to submit my request. It still stays on the same page.

~ Bala

• makvell
    makvell
    266 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-14T07:08:24Z  in response to AndrewPaier

Hi!

Please tell me where I can read more about what is included in this toolkit? Before I download something and start watching, I would like to know what's inside :)

Unfortunately, I cannot see the video, as it is forbidden by the security policy of my company. Maybe there is a detailed description on your site?

Thank you! :)

• AndrewPaier
      AndrewPaier
      711 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-14T16:27:39Z  in response to makvell

There is a description at the links I provided.  Basically this is a replacement for the base coach layout and UI widgets that ship with IBM BPM, with the goals of 1) Providing a much better UI experience across platforms (desktop/laptop/phone) and 2) Easier ability to reskin with a more rational CSS.

Andrew Paier  |  Director  |  BP3 Global, Inc.
      BP3 Global's Website  |  Twitter  |  Linkedin  |  Google+  |  Blogs

• DejanStopar
    DejanStopar
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-01T10:09:28Z  in response to AndrewPaier

Andrew...is new version of the toolkit already available?

• AndrewPaier
      AndrewPaier
      711 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-02T03:06:49Z  in response to DejanStopar

The new version of the toolkit entered QA testing last week.  It is also currently being used internally at several customers.  I'm hoping we will pass and be able to release it within the next 1-2 weeks.  It is a significant improvement over the 1.0 toolkit, so we are very excited to see the community's reaction.  I'll post a new announcement when it is out.

And yes, 2.0 will still be free.  (there are support options available for those who want one.  You can read about that here)

• daeyoon
    daeyoon
    371 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-01T11:10:04Z  in response to AndrewPaier

Good morning Andrew,

Thanks for letting us know about the Brazos Toolkit.  I look forward to using it!

Have a blessed day!

Dae

• balab3
    balab3
    21 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-02T07:21:38Z  in response to AndrewPaier

Hi Andrew

I submitted the request 2 weeks back and still waiting to download it.

~Bala

• AndrewPaier
      AndrewPaier
      711 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-03T19:09:53Z  in response to balab3

Balaprakash -

I had the team look into this and it seems you signed up for the Brazos e-mail list and have not registered yet for Brazos itself.  Per my request they have e-mailed you directly with a link that should take you to the page where you can agree to the EULA and then download the 1.0 version of the toolkit.

• RameshKumar C
        RameshKumar C
        25 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-05T18:53:26Z  in response to AndrewPaier

I am very excited about this toolkit. I have requested and looking forward to work on it. Does it have basic validation controls as well ?

• AndrewPaier
          AndrewPaier
          711 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-08T20:18:15Z  in response to RameshKumar C

The 1.0 version of the toolkit allows the same validation flow as the OOTB UI.  In the next release we will have more OOTB validation rolled into the Brazos toolkit.

• balab3
        balab3
        21 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-10T12:04:58Z  in response to AndrewPaier

Thanks a lot Andrew.
        Yes I received :)

~ Bala

• Alan_Dickman
    Alan_Dickman
    8 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-11T14:41:08Z  in response to AndrewPaier

I have the 2.0 Beta. Have you released the final version?

Also, is there any documentation for the toolkit. The sample examples kinda terse...

• Alan_Dickman
    Alan_Dickman
    8 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-11T14:41:18Z  in response to AndrewPaier

I have the 2.0 Beta. Have you released the final version?

Also, is there any documentation for the toolkit. The sample examples kinda terse...

• sfrancis
      sfrancis
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-21T22:56:00Z  in response to Alan_Dickman

Alan - I think we missed this response here in the forum - but yes, the 2.0 GA has been released, along with much more extensive examples and documentation (built with Brazos, viewable on your iphone/iPad!) - much of it thanks to feedback like yours - 

You should have, by now, received an email from us notifying you of the GA release and with a download link, but send us a note at labs@bp-3.com if you haven't received it - 

scott

SCOTT FRANCIS, CTO
      T: 512.600.3239 X 220 / sfrancis@bp-3.com  /  @sfrancisatx

BP3 ///  www.bp-3.com  /  Blogs  /  Twitter  /  Linkedin  /  Google+

• Samuel Chan
    Samuel Chan
    204 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-21T22:06:35Z  in response to AndrewPaier

Andrew, thanks for the toolkit. I'll be registering today, hopefully to evaluate before too long.

So the toolkit is completely available to requesters to use as they see fit? I can modify it? Can I copy code? I've obviously not seen any licensing or the EULA, so I'm just throwing this out there.

• AndrewPaier
      AndrewPaier
      711 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-21T22:34:44Z  in response to Samuel Chan

Honestly there is no way we can control what you do with it.  However if you modify it and don't work with us to get your modifications back into the code base, then your customer is on their own for support and upgrade to future versions.  We can't really support every possible one off version of the toolkit a customer might have, so if they are not paying for support, and encounter a bug that we either cannot duplicate or have fixed in our own version, they will be on their own to fix that problem.

It is in everyone's best interest (in the community) that if you have a fix or enhancement you work with us to get it into the release.  That way everyone can use it.  

We have very little ability to prevent you from doing whatever you want with it.  We just hope that you see the value and work with us so that everyone can continue to benefit from this resource.  We certainly would like attribution and love our customers who pay for support, but lack any capacity to force you to only do those things we view as acceptable with this.  I ask that you don't lead a customer down a dead end, but cannot prevent you from doing so.

ANDREW PAIER
      DIRECTOR, BP3 LABS
      T: 512.600.3239 X 240 / apaier@bp-3.com / @apaier
      BP3 /// www.bp-3.com / Blogs / Twitter / LinkedIn / Google+

• Samuel Chan
        Samuel Chan
        204 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-22T04:00:26Z  in response to AndrewPaier

Yes, I understand that you can't lockdown the source for the toolkits. The question is more about what I should be allowed to do with it. Much like how source on the web is available to view, yet there are restrictions on their reuse.

I wasn't expecting support for an in-house custom build. I'd imagine that we'd be on the hook for that (as the people who branched it).

I'll be happy to contribute enhancements/fixes to the cause.

Also, I'm wondering what the release cadence is for the tiers of support. I'm guessing that those on certain paid tiers get patches for their issues, while more major releases come out every so often as needed available to all registered?

Alongside that query is what would the lead time be for updates to the BPM platform be? Say for point releases, how long would it be until we would be informed that Brazos is safe for consumption? And as an extension, for major releases, say v9.0, how long might we expect support to arrive? It's not a question you can directly answer, since this product hasn't been through this change. Because as a partner, we can't deliver until a product is ready, and sales would need to know a rough time (obvious).

• AndrewPaier
          AndrewPaier
          711 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-22T12:58:21Z  in response to Samuel Chan

Much of this we are figuring out on the fly.  We don't yet have an official release schedule, but have had a bug fix out about every 2 weeks since the GA for issues reported from the field.  That points to the fact that I'm now focused on establishing a permanent QA team and regression test suite.  

So right now there have been several bug fix releases, but we don't have a plan around the next "full" release.  

As far as BPM releases go, the good news is since this is built on top of the coach view framework, the work to take 8.0.1 release to 8.5 essentially was - export, import, change system data toolkit links, test.  We can hope that stays true going forward.  Now if there is a new UI functionality we want to either leverage or mimic, we would need to slate in some development time to make that happen.

ANDREW PAIER
          DIRECTOR, BP3 LABS

• RKataria
    RKataria
    53 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-12-04T08:58:17Z  in response to AndrewPaier

Hi Andrew,

Do we have any documentation in the form of PDF as videos link are blocked in the company URL.

Need to understand how to configure the Brazo elements.

Rahul Kataria

• AndrewPaier
      AndrewPaier
      711 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-12-04T15:03:11Z  in response to RKataria

If you have Brazos 2.0, it shipped in the form of a Process App that has a number of sample UI's, as well as the underlying toolkit.  If you don't have Brazos 2.0 and you are a registered user let me know and I'll see what happened to your notification.

If you have specific questions you can either post them here (although I don't have time to read the forum every day) or submit a question to support@bp-3.com

ANDREW PAIER
      VICE PRESIDENT, LABS

• Samuel Chan
    Samuel Chan
    204 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-12-04T23:23:34Z  in response to AndrewPaier

Not sure how else I can flag this, but I guess this is as good a place as any:

I registered a week or so ago for a copy but I have yet to get any reply from it. Very keen to evaluate the toolkit :)

Thanks.

• fmourao
    fmourao
    14 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-12-10T17:58:59Z  in response to AndrewPaier

Hi Andrew!

Just got your Brazos Toolkit, and it looks very good. 

Don't know if you guys have a place for suggestions, but after a first look, there's a couple of things i would like to see in your toolkit. Please, see them as a suggestion for improvement.

As you know, the dojo table coach view in IBM BPM is a major issue, because it can get very slow. I really liked your table, simple look, but very effective, but i think that its missing 2 very important features: sorting and pagination - correct me if these are there, and i simply missed them... :)

Can you tell me if these are in the roadmap for future releases?

If not in the roadmap, would you consider having these features added by someone else to your table coach view?

Cheers, and congrats for your work!

FM

• AndrewPaier
      AndrewPaier
      711 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-12-18T22:25:27Z  in response to fmourao

FYI, you should request a new TK for these needs.  A new control called "DataTable" has been created with pagination and searching in mind.  We are working on a way for people to easily get updated versions without asking.  Only so much time in a day though.

ANDREW PAIER
      VICE PRESIDENT, LABS

• Samuel Chan
    Samuel Chan
    204 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-10T23:19:02Z  in response to AndrewPaier

When will the toolkit be updated to use Bootstrap 3?

• David Bailie
      David Bailie
      28 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-12T18:00:19Z  in response to Samuel Chan

Hi Samuel, 

We don't currently have a specific timeline that we can share around when the Brazos UI toolkit will be updated to Bootstrap 3.  Is there a specific Bootstrap 3 feature that you are looking to take advantage of in your BPM UI?

David Bailie
      ENGINEERING MANAGER, BP3 LABS
      dbailie@bp-3.com
      BP3 /// www.bp-3.com / Blogs / Twitter / LinkedIn / Google+

• Samuel Chan
        Samuel Chan
        204 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-13T02:27:47Z  in response to David Bailie

Curiosity, really. I'm all for using the latest versions whenever it's feasible, so just wanted to know if there was a timeline.

• Samuel Chan
    Samuel Chan
    204 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-27T05:13:28Z  in response to AndrewPaier

Is Brazos fully working with 8.5? I just noticed a pretty nasty issue...

And if I might ask, what is the latest public version of the toolkit?

• AndrewPaier
      AndrewPaier
      711 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-27T14:15:54Z  in response to Samuel Chan

Brazos is working in 8.5 and in active use at a number of 8.5 engagements.  The current version of the toolkit can always be accessed by registered users by going to BP-3's Support Site.  You will need to be a registered user to access the download section.  The current release is 2.3.10. 

If you have a particular problem we encourage you to file a ticket on our support site, either directly on the site or by e-mailing support@bp-3.com which will open a ticket for you.  Given our rapid release schedule many of the reported bugs have already been solved in a later release when customers report them. 

ANDREW PAIER
      VICE PRESIDENT, LABS

• ShivangiSharma
        ShivangiSharma
        1 Post
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-18T19:57:14Z  in response to AndrewPaier

Hi Andrew,

I am just reading about your Brazos toolkit and it looks very interesting. i am trying to implement table row selection but its not working.

Dynamically i want to select the row from table and show the selected row in text area but i am not able to select the row.

Can you please help me in selecting the row from table

Thanks

• J00M_Andrew_Paier
          J00M_Andrew_Paier
          1 Post
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-24T21:44:59Z  in response to ShivangiSharma

The best way to get support is to send the issue to our support site.  You can either go to bp3.zendesk.com, or simply e-mail support@bp-3.com  This will create a ticket with our team so that we can address your issue properly.

ANDREW PAIER
          VICE PRESIDENT, LABS
          BP3 /// www.bp-3.com / Blogs / Twitter / LinkedIn

Updated on 2014-03-24T21:45:53Z at 2014-03-24T21:45:53Z by J00M_Andrew_Paier
  • David Bailie
    David Bailie
    28 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-06-16T23:25:32Z  in response to AndrewPaier

BP3 Brazos UI v3.0.0, now including Brazos Charts is available for download! Don't worry, v3.0.0 is still fully compatible with your existing v2.x Brazos Coaches.

Key improvements for this release include:

• Brazos Charts allows you to easily visualize your data and incorporate graphical information in your BPM coaches and dashboards. The first release of Brazos Charts includes Stacked and Grouped Bar Charts, Horizontal Bar Charts, Line and Area Charts, Pie and Donut Charts, and Bullet Charts. Like all Brazos controls, the charts are built on a responsive UI framework so they look great on any screen, desktop, tablet, or phone. Brazos Charts can be populated with local data binding or AJAX services for improved performance and dynamic interaction. User interaction with the charts can be captured to dynamically impact the data you display, and "on-click" boundary events can trigger drill down capabilities. Brazos Charts also include many flexible configuration options so you can display your data the way you want. Note that Brazos Charts are implemented as SVGs and therefore will not work with IE8.
    • Data Table Control Improvements:
      • Data Table width and column widths can be defined.
      • Data Tables can use local binding to populate the table.
    • Tabs Control Improvements:
      • Tabs support lazy loading capabilities to improve performance.
      • Hide the Tab Navigation or hide individual tabs.
    • Buttons can be displayed as a link.
    • Bug Fixes and Updated Examples via the Brazos Examples Process App. For full details of the changes in this release you can view the release notes.
    DAVID BAILIE
    ENGINEERING MANAGER, BP3 LABS