Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2016-05-25T08:59:21Z by Andrew_Martin
TMasteen
TMasteen
317 Posts

Pinned topic SVC DH8 Node Replacement Procedure

‏2014-08-20T12:35:12Z |

We are looking at a SVC Node Replacement (CG8 to DH8).

On IBM Knowledge center there is a link with the procedure.

Part of the procedure:

9. Install the replacement node and any expansion enclosures, if present, in the rack.

Important: Do not connect the Fibre Channel or Ethernet cables during this step.

10. Power on the replacement node.

11. Record the WWNN of the replacement node. This name can be reused by another SAN Volume Controller 2145-DH8 node.

12. Change the WWNN name of the replacement node to match the name that you recorded in step 3:

Use the service assistant interface to change the WWNN or issue this CLI command:

satask chvpd -wwnn WWNN

Where WWNN is the value you recorded from the original node.

13. Connect the Fibre Channel or Ethernet cables to the same port numbers that you recorded for the original node in step 4.

Question:

We do power on the Node, do not connect any FC\Ethernet cables.

In step 11 I have to record the WWNN.  How do I do this (with no FC and Ethernet connections).?

In step 12 we have to issue the satask command. Again, I don't have any connection.

Is this done with connection to the Technican port? Or has this be done in a different way?

With the satask command I don't have to enter a nodeid or other parameter to identify the new node.

Is this because there can only one candidate node in a cluster?

Thank you.

• Dave32
    Dave32
    8 Posts

Re: SVC DH8 Node Replacement Procedure

‏2016-04-22T14:57:14Z  

Hello TMasteen,

Did you ever find an answer to this question? 

We are getting ready to swap out some CG8's for some DH8's and this question came to mind also.

Another question I had was, my plan is to rename the WWNN in the new DH8 with the WWNN of the CG8 it is replacing.  Is it possible to then change the WWNN of the CG8 to that of the DH8?  We did this previously when we swapped out CF8 for CG8 nodes so the WWNN's would be unique.  We are planning on re-using the CG8's that are being replaced so want their WWNN to be unique.   Just didn't know if there was any reason a CG8 node couldn't use a WWNN that's typically comes with the DH8. 

• TMasteen
    TMasteen
    317 Posts

‏2016-04-22T18:13:10Z  
    • Dave32
    • ‏2016-04-22T14:57:14Z

Hello TMasteen,

Did you ever find an answer to this question? 

We are getting ready to swap out some CG8's for some DH8's and this question came to mind also.

Another question I had was, my plan is to rename the WWNN in the new DH8 with the WWNN of the CG8 it is replacing.  Is it possible to then change the WWNN of the CG8 to that of the DH8?  We did this previously when we swapped out CF8 for CG8 nodes so the WWNN's would be unique.  We are planning on re-using the CG8's that are being replaced so want their WWNN to be unique.   Just didn't know if there was any reason a CG8 node couldn't use a WWNN that's typically comes with the DH8. 

Replaced the CG8 Nodes by DH8 Nodes..  info was gathered by using the Technical port (service IP address}
    There is all the info and options to change what needs to be changed.

if the node that is being replaced is a 2145-CG8 the replacement node must have a four-port Fibre Channel adapter in slot one.

Dont think the WWNN of DH8 can be used in CG8 node.

• Andrew_Martin
    Andrew_Martin
    34 Posts

‏2016-04-25T12:26:21Z  

Hi,

Since there were a couple of questions in here that didn't get answered - I'll try to answer them in case anyone else stumbles on this thread.

In step 11 I have to record the WWNN.  How do I do this (with no FC and Ethernet connections).?

In step 12 we have to issue the satask command. Again, I don't have any connection.

Is this done with connection to the Technican port? Or has this be done in a different way?

Yes - you can connect with the technician port to gather this information.  There are some other ways - but they are quite convoluted, so lets stick to the technician port.

With the satask command I don't have to enter a nodeid or other parameter to identify the new node.

By default all sainfo and satask commands run against the node you are currently logged into.  However you can also run sa* commands against other nodes that are visible on the fibre channel fabric.  So  you only have to provide a panel name on these commands if you want to run the command on a different node.

The DH8 WWNNs can not be used in any node hardware that is older than the DH8s - because we have a new WWNN scheme for the DH8s which can not be used on the CG8s.   If you wish to reuse the older nodes, the best thing I can suggest is to pick a low starting number (e.g. 100) and assign each of your CG8s with the next number from that sequence.  So they would be 00100 00101 00102 ... 00108.  This will work just fine as long as you never configure two of your nodes with the same WWNN - so just be careful!  By picking a low number then it's unlikely that any of your existing nodes will have that WWNN (although you must check that) and unless you purchase any second hand SVC nodes you won't get any new-nodes which have that WWNN.

Hope this helps

Andrew

• Tony@Load
    Tony@Load
    20 Posts

‏2016-05-24T20:25:49Z  

Hi,

Since there were a couple of questions in here that didn't get answered - I'll try to answer them in case anyone else stumbles on this thread.

Yes - you can connect with the technician port to gather this information.  There are some other ways - but they are quite convoluted, so lets stick to the technician port.

By default all sainfo and satask commands run against the node you are currently logged into.  However you can also run sa* commands against other nodes that are visible on the fibre channel fabric.  So  you only have to provide a panel name on these commands if you want to run the command on a different node.

The DH8 WWNNs can not be used in any node hardware that is older than the DH8s - because we have a new WWNN scheme for the DH8s which can not be used on the CG8s.   If you wish to reuse the older nodes, the best thing I can suggest is to pick a low starting number (e.g. 100) and assign each of your CG8s with the next number from that sequence.  So they would be 00100 00101 00102 ... 00108.  This will work just fine as long as you never configure two of your nodes with the same WWNN - so just be careful!  By picking a low number then it's unlikely that any of your existing nodes will have that WWNN (although you must check that) and unless you purchase any second hand SVC nodes you won't get any new-nodes which have that WWNN.

Hope this helps

Andrew

Hello Andrew.

I read your last paragraph. If you change the last 4 characters in an old CG8 node to the DH8 last 4 characters... Why is that not possible ?
    A CG8 node has: 5005 0768 01Y0 xxxx where Y is 4,3,1,2 
    A DH8 node has for standard mode: 5005 0768 0CSP xxxx where S=Slot and P=Port and for
    Legacy Mode: : 5005 0768 01Y0 xxxx

So the last 4 characters (xxxx) should be posible to reuse ?

/Tony 

• Andrew_Martin
    Andrew_Martin
    34 Posts

‏2016-05-25T08:59:21Z  
    • Tony@Load
    • ‏2016-05-24T20:25:49Z

Hello Andrew.

I read your last paragraph. If you change the last 4 characters in an old CG8 node to the DH8 last 4 characters... Why is that not possible ?
    A CG8 node has: 5005 0768 01Y0 xxxx where Y is 4,3,1,2 
    A DH8 node has for standard mode: 5005 0768 0CSP xxxx where S=Slot and P=Port and for
    Legacy Mode: : 5005 0768 01Y0 xxxx

So the last 4 characters (xxxx) should be posible to reuse ?

/Tony 

Hi Tony,

the xxxx for 80C started again from zero.  So the xxxx is only unique within the 80C range so you may end up with a DH8 node and a CG8 node both using the same xxxx value.

So yes - you could use the XXXX value to invent a CG8 style WWNN - but you would be running the risk that at some point in the future you may get a duplicate WWNN in your fabric. 

Cheers

Andrew