Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-07-08T13:36:15Z by OttoDiesel
OttoDiesel
OttoDiesel
52 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Headless browser testing possible with RFT?

‏2013-06-10T08:19:10Z |

As it seems, it is possible to perform headless tests with Selenium. The browser does not need to be displayed for the test to be run.

There is a web page which says that RFT does not support headless mode fully: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21215740

It refers to a RFE number RATLC00471121 which I cannot find anywhere else on the web. And it refers to rich clients.

I am thinking about running web clients in a headless mode. I don't know yet if that is a good idea. But I like to know if that would be possible with RFT for web application testing?

• m.z
    m.z
    54 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Headless browser testing possible with RFT?

‏2013-06-10T11:50:44Z  in response to OttoDiesel

The RFE RATLC00471121 is for different requirement. It's discussing about the headless mode of the Eclipse IDE for RFT. 

Could you please elaborate a little more about the headless mode of Browser ?

If you have RFT installed somewhere then please give a try with recording and playing back some action in the headless web client and see if it is working or not.

-mz

• OttoDiesel
      OttoDiesel
      52 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-11T09:12:07Z  in response to m.z

I did not use the Selenium headless web application tests personally. People told me that it is possible with Selenium to test a web page headless, with no browser visible.

As it seems this is accomplished with http://htmlunit.sourceforge.net/

This is a simulated browser. Maybe this is not possible with RFT (and maybe no good idea anyway).

• m.z
        m.z
        54 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-11T09:24:46Z  in response to OttoDiesel

Simulated browsers are not supported with RFT.

-mz

Updated on 2013-06-11T09:25:03Z at 2013-06-11T09:25:03Z by m.z
  • 5KUK_Mike_Ramsey
    5KUK_Mike_Ramsey
    12 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-19T19:57:29Z  in response to OttoDiesel

Headless browser support would be highly useful for submitting batch automated tests.  I have to deliver into a production environment and it would have been nice to include an RFT test in the install scripts to verify the install and the new environment.  I was looking to see if RFT supported headless mode but I guess not. I am familiar with headless mode from past work with Selenium.

• OttoDiesel
    OttoDiesel
    52 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-08T13:36:15Z  in response to OttoDiesel

Well, it seems to be possible, at least with SUT running on Linux by using XVFB. I discovered that Selenium tests can be run with XVFB.

But such thing like XVFB does not seem to exist for Microsoft Windows.