Topic
  • 40 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-11-21T15:08:30Z by KevinWickNTRS
JohnKnutson
JohnKnutson
126 Posts

Pinned topic z/OS Explorer V2.1 and CICS Explorer V5.1.1 available now!

‏2013-06-14T14:37:12Z |

I'm pleased to announce that z/OS Explorer V2.1 and CICS Explorer V5.1.1 available now. These were announced on April 23 and described in this post on this forum https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=c3076c01-72f4-4168-84e4-2c48e7dd9702&ps=25

z/OS Explorer V2.1 is available here:  http://www-01.ibm.com/software/htp/cics/ibmexplforzos/downloads.html

z/OS Explorer is available in IBM Installation Manager (IM) format. The approach involves downloading , unzipping and running the IM launchpad which then creates z/OS Explorer. You then find and run z/OS Explorer from your Windows Start menu.

CICS Explorer V5.1.1 is available here:   http://ibm.com/cics/explorer/download

CICS Explorer is now available in both IBM Installation Manager (IM) and Eclipse P2 formats. IM is now the recommended installation method - the approach involves installing z/OS Explorer (see above), and then using IM to add CICS Explorer, and any other IBM products in the repository.

Joe or one of the others in the team will write more bout this soon, but this, along with the guidance of the download pages,  will get you all going for now..

Reply to this post if you have any questions or comments.

Updated July 10 I corrected the links to the download pages - I had them the wrong way round.

Updated on 2013-07-10T11:12:29Z at 2013-07-10T11:12:29Z by JohnKnutson
  • JohnKnutson
    JohnKnutson
    126 Posts

Re: z/OS Explorer V2.1 and CICS Explorer V5.1.1 available now!

‏2013-07-10T11:20:30Z  

I've written a blog post on CICSdev describing my z/OS Explorer installation experience. You can read it here https://ibm.biz/BdxTkV.

If you want to see what's going on in a little more detail, take a look at this post on cicsabel's blog : https://ibm.biz/BdxTkA (thanks, Isabel)

Updated on 2013-07-10T11:21:43Z at 2013-07-10T11:21:43Z by JohnKnutson
  • Mervyn Day
    Mervyn Day
    6 Posts

‏2013-10-18T01:34:01Z  

I've written a blog post on CICSdev describing my z/OS Explorer installation experience. You can read it here https://ibm.biz/BdxTkV.

If you want to see what's going on in a little more detail, take a look at this post on cicsabel's blog : https://ibm.biz/BdxTkA (thanks, Isabel)

Hi John,

I have just downloaded and installed CICS Explorer 5.1.1 (downloaded and extracted the directory structure - not via the Installation Manager).

I have successfully set up both a CMCI connection to my WUI and a z/OS FTP connection, but I'm having troubles setting up the z/OSMF connection. Getting the following message:

IZE0106E Connect failed with error "Possible SSL connection failure.  Configuration specified SSL=false. Original exception was Unexpected end of file from server"

I don't have the 'Secure connection (TLS/SSL)' box ticked on the z/OSMF Connection definition.

My CICS Explorer is Version: 5.1.1.2 [build id: 20130912-1124] and IBM Explorer for z/OS is Version: 2.1.2.20130912-1029.

Any ideas?

Regards, Mark

• DaveN
    DaveN
    71 Posts

‏2013-10-18T09:16:57Z  

Hi John,

I have just downloaded and installed CICS Explorer 5.1.1 (downloaded and extracted the directory structure - not via the Installation Manager).

I have successfully set up both a CMCI connection to my WUI and a z/OS FTP connection, but I'm having troubles setting up the z/OSMF connection. Getting the following message:

IZE0106E Connect failed with error "Possible SSL connection failure.  Configuration specified SSL=false. Original exception was Unexpected end of file from server"

I don't have the 'Secure connection (TLS/SSL)' box ticked on the z/OSMF Connection definition.

My CICS Explorer is Version: 5.1.1.2 [build id: 20130912-1124] and IBM Explorer for z/OS is Version: 2.1.2.20130912-1029.

Any ideas?

Regards, Mark

Hi Mark,

Are you able to correctly access z/OSMF via your browser using the same hostname and port? Are you certain that it's not an encrypted connection? All of ours are, internally.

If it's an encrypted connection you would need to tick the TLS/SSL checkbox.

Dave

• Mervyn Day
    Mervyn Day
    6 Posts

‏2013-10-19T02:22:39Z  
    • DaveN
    • ‏2013-10-18T09:16:57Z

Hi Mark,

Are you able to correctly access z/OSMF via your browser using the same hostname and port? Are you certain that it's not an encrypted connection? All of ours are, internally.

If it's an encrypted connection you would need to tick the TLS/SSL checkbox.

Dave

Hi Dave,

If I tick the TLS/SSL checkbox I receive the message:

IZE0106E Connect failed with error "Possible SSL connection failure.  Configuration specified SSL=true. Original exception was 534 Server is not willing to accept security mechanism"

The Communications Server manual reports that for "534 Server is not willing to accept security mechanism"  the following is the User Response:

"Change the FTP server FTP.DATA file to specify EXTENSIONS AUTH_GSSAPI to accept the GSSAPI authentication mechanism or EXTENSIONS AUTH_TLS to accept the TLS authentication mechanism."

What is your EXTENSIONS parameter in your FTP.DATA file? We don't appear to have this parameter set.

I can access z/OSMF with my RACF userid/password directly from a browser.

Mark

• DaveN
    DaveN
    71 Posts

‏2013-10-21T09:26:51Z  

Hi Dave,

If I tick the TLS/SSL checkbox I receive the message:

IZE0106E Connect failed with error "Possible SSL connection failure.  Configuration specified SSL=true. Original exception was 534 Server is not willing to accept security mechanism"

The Communications Server manual reports that for "534 Server is not willing to accept security mechanism"  the following is the User Response:

"Change the FTP server FTP.DATA file to specify EXTENSIONS AUTH_GSSAPI to accept the GSSAPI authentication mechanism or EXTENSIONS AUTH_TLS to accept the TLS authentication mechanism."

What is your EXTENSIONS parameter in your FTP.DATA file? We don't appear to have this parameter set.

I can access z/OSMF with my RACF userid/password directly from a browser.

Mark

Hi Mark,

The error message that you post talks about the FTP server, which gives me a thought.

When you create a z/OSMF connection, a child FTP connection is automatically created, because z/OSMF currently only supports the Job View, so an FTP connection is required in tandem to support the z/OS Unix Files and Data Sets Views.

The child FTP connection inherits the z/OSMF secure connection setting. Your FTP server is telling you that it doesn't support security.

Try editing your z/OSMF connection to associate it with an FTP connection that doesn't have security enabled.

Dave

• bluejoni2306
    bluejoni2306
    19 Posts

‏2013-10-28T00:46:52Z  

Hi John, 

I am having a hard time trying to find the documentation I need to keep our GUI's up to date with our Zos and CICS platforms.

Currently in Production we are running CICS Explorer Version: 5.1.0.0  with PD tool plug-ins at V10/11  

We are currently rolling out upgrades for zOS from 1.13 to 2.1 (includes PD Tools to 12.1) and CICS from 3.1 to 5.1.  (WE require PHP)

I am currently trying to upgrade our GUI interfaces to keep inline with this and I am working on implementing 

zOS Explorer Version: 2.1.0.2 on Eclipse Platform (Version: 4.2.1.v20130118-173121-9MF7GHYdG0B5kx4E_SkfZV-1mNjVATf67ZAb7)

I used Installation Manager to download zOS Explorer and then used  Installation Manager to update zOS Explorer and install CICS Explorer SDK and the PD Tools. (following your installation experience)

Not sure how I can Cut and Paste what Plug-ins have been installed from the screens in zOS explorer.  It appears to me Installation Manager installed PD Tools Studio.  Does this work with zOS Explorer? I could not find any documentation on this. Or should it be installing PD Tools plug-ins individually and if so, how is this done? I did try this and APA still does not work.

I have attached a spreadsheet which shows our current production status and what I am trying to achieve.

What we need is

• Debug Tool
    • Fault Analyser
    • File Manager
    • Performance Analyser 
    • CICSPLEX SM

Currently

• CICSPLEX SM works OK with regions that are CICS3.1 or CICS 5.1 and the CICS 5.1 is now providing updateability.
    • Debug Tool  work OK
    • Fault Analyser works for LPARS that have been upgraded to zOS 2.1 and PD Tool V12.
    • File Manager (Access issues)
    • Performance Analyser does not work (getting IZE0106E Connect failed with error "[jcc][t4][2034][11148][4.14.88] Execution failed due to a distribution protocol error that caused deallocation of the conversation.)

Since CICS regions are upgraded by environment, within LPAR, we can have multiple CICS Versions and PD Tool Versions , where the LPAR upgrades affect all regions on that LPAR and PD Tools.

The Customisation guides for the PD tools , CICSs and zOS do not appear to  cover in great detail what actions need to be taken to verify the Zos Explorer connections, neither does the Online Help, which looks like it is just the Old CICs Explorer Help.

Where can I find documentation or assistance to work out the best way to upgrade using Installation Manager? so all the PD tools are working?

It appears to me at this point, that we will need to use Zos Explorer  so that we can use PD Tools V12  (once APA is working) , and upgrade to Zos 2.1 LPAR by LPAR as normal, leaving CICS Explorer in Production for those LPARs still running PD Tools V10/11.

Hope this makes sense and you can assist me yourself or directing me to someone who can

Thanks in advance

JOAN MURPHY

SYSTEMS PROGRAMMER (MAINFRAME PLATFORM)

OneTech
    IAG

Updated on 2014-04-09T18:41:35Z at 2014-04-09T18:41:35Z by JAntley
  • bluejoni2306
    bluejoni2306
    19 Posts

‏2013-10-28T00:57:41Z  

Me again!  Do we have a Forum for z/OS Explorer , If not can we have one?

• JohnKnutson
    JohnKnutson
    126 Posts

‏2013-10-28T09:45:56Z  

Me again!  Do we have a Forum for z/OS Explorer , If not can we have one?

Hello Joan. We weren't planning to start a z/OS Explorer forum, but will reconsider that thought if the level of activity picks up and the need for a separate forum becomes clearer.

• JohnKnutson
    JohnKnutson
    126 Posts

‏2013-10-28T09:50:10Z  

Hi John, 

I am having a hard time trying to find the documentation I need to keep our GUI's up to date with our Zos and CICS platforms.

Currently in Production we are running CICS Explorer Version: 5.1.0.0  with PD tool plug-ins at V10/11  

We are currently rolling out upgrades for zOS from 1.13 to 2.1 (includes PD Tools to 12.1) and CICS from 3.1 to 5.1.  (WE require PHP)

I am currently trying to upgrade our GUI interfaces to keep inline with this and I am working on implementing 

zOS Explorer Version: 2.1.0.2 on Eclipse Platform (Version: 4.2.1.v20130118-173121-9MF7GHYdG0B5kx4E_SkfZV-1mNjVATf67ZAb7)

I used Installation Manager to download zOS Explorer and then used  Installation Manager to update zOS Explorer and install CICS Explorer SDK and the PD Tools. (following your installation experience)

Not sure how I can Cut and Paste what Plug-ins have been installed from the screens in zOS explorer.  It appears to me Installation Manager installed PD Tools Studio.  Does this work with zOS Explorer? I could not find any documentation on this. Or should it be installing PD Tools plug-ins individually and if so, how is this done? I did try this and APA still does not work.

I have attached a spreadsheet which shows our current production status and what I am trying to achieve.

What we need is

• Debug Tool
    • Fault Analyser
    • File Manager
    • Performance Analyser 
    • CICSPLEX SM

Currently

• CICSPLEX SM works OK with regions that are CICS3.1 or CICS 5.1 and the CICS 5.1 is now providing updateability.
    • Debug Tool  work OK
    • Fault Analyser works for LPARS that have been upgraded to zOS 2.1 and PD Tool V12.
    • File Manager (Access issues)
    • Performance Analyser does not work (getting IZE0106E Connect failed with error "[jcc][t4][2034][11148][4.14.88] Execution failed due to a distribution protocol error that caused deallocation of the conversation.)

Since CICS regions are upgraded by environment, within LPAR, we can have multiple CICS Versions and PD Tool Versions , where the LPAR upgrades affect all regions on that LPAR and PD Tools.

The Customisation guides for the PD tools , CICSs and zOS do not appear to  cover in great detail what actions need to be taken to verify the Zos Explorer connections, neither does the Online Help, which looks like it is just the Old CICs Explorer Help.

Where can I find documentation or assistance to work out the best way to upgrade using Installation Manager? so all the PD tools are working?

It appears to me at this point, that we will need to use Zos Explorer  so that we can use PD Tools V12  (once APA is working) , and upgrade to Zos 2.1 LPAR by LPAR as normal, leaving CICS Explorer in Production for those LPARs still running PD Tools V10/11.

Hope this makes sense and you can assist me yourself or directing me to someone who can

Thanks in advance

JOAN MURPHY

SYSTEMS PROGRAMMER (MAINFRAME PLATFORM)

OneTech
    IAG

Joan, take a look at this new Redpaper which gives you a overview of the options available for deploying the Explorer products. It's just out in draft, so if it doesn't answer all your questions, still time for it to be updated