Topic
40 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-11-21T15:08:30Z by KevinWickNTRS
JohnKnutson
JohnKnutson
126 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic z/OS Explorer V2.1 and CICS Explorer V5.1.1 available now!

‏2013-06-14T14:37:12Z |

I'm pleased to announce that z/OS Explorer V2.1 and CICS Explorer V5.1.1 available now. These were announced on April 23 and described in this post on this forum https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=c3076c01-72f4-4168-84e4-2c48e7dd9702&ps=25

z/OS Explorer V2.1 is available here:  http://www-01.ibm.com/software/htp/cics/ibmexplforzos/downloads.html

z/OS Explorer is available in IBM Installation Manager (IM) format. The approach involves downloading , unzipping and running the IM launchpad which then creates z/OS Explorer. You then find and run z/OS Explorer from your Windows Start menu.

CICS Explorer V5.1.1 is available here:   http://ibm.com/cics/explorer/download

CICS Explorer is now available in both IBM Installation Manager (IM) and Eclipse P2 formats. IM is now the recommended installation method - the approach involves installing z/OS Explorer (see above), and then using IM to add CICS Explorer, and any other IBM products in the repository.

Joe or one of the others in the team will write more bout this soon, but this, along with the guidance of the download pages,  will get you all going for now..

Reply to this post if you have any questions or comments.

Updated July 10 I corrected the links to the download pages - I had them the wrong way round.

Updated on 2013-07-10T11:12:29Z at 2013-07-10T11:12:29Z by JohnKnutson
  • JohnKnutson
    JohnKnutson
    126 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: z/OS Explorer V2.1 and CICS Explorer V5.1.1 available now!

‏2013-07-10T11:20:30Z  in response to JohnKnutson

I've written a blog post on CICSdev describing my z/OS Explorer installation experience. You can read it here https://ibm.biz/BdxTkV.

If you want to see what's going on in a little more detail, take a look at this post on cicsabel's blog : https://ibm.biz/BdxTkA (thanks, Isabel)

Updated on 2013-07-10T11:21:43Z at 2013-07-10T11:21:43Z by JohnKnutson
    • Mervyn Day
      Mervyn Day
      6 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-18T01:34:01Z  in response to JohnKnutson

Hi John,

I have just downloaded and installed CICS Explorer 5.1.1 (downloaded and extracted the directory structure - not via the Installation Manager).

I have successfully set up both a CMCI connection to my WUI and a z/OS FTP connection, but I'm having troubles setting up the z/OSMF connection. Getting the following message:

IZE0106E Connect failed with error "Possible SSL connection failure.  Configuration specified SSL=false. Original exception was Unexpected end of file from server"

I don't have the 'Secure connection (TLS/SSL)' box ticked on the z/OSMF Connection definition.

My CICS Explorer is Version: 5.1.1.2 [build id: 20130912-1124] and IBM Explorer for z/OS is Version: 2.1.2.20130912-1029.

Any ideas?

Regards, Mark

• DaveN
        DaveN
        71 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-18T09:16:57Z  in response to Mervyn Day

Hi Mark,

Are you able to correctly access z/OSMF via your browser using the same hostname and port? Are you certain that it's not an encrypted connection? All of ours are, internally.

If it's an encrypted connection you would need to tick the TLS/SSL checkbox.

Dave

• Mervyn Day
          Mervyn Day
          6 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-19T02:22:39Z  in response to DaveN

Hi Dave,

If I tick the TLS/SSL checkbox I receive the message:

IZE0106E Connect failed with error "Possible SSL connection failure.  Configuration specified SSL=true. Original exception was 534 Server is not willing to accept security mechanism"

The Communications Server manual reports that for "534 Server is not willing to accept security mechanism"  the following is the User Response:

"Change the FTP server FTP.DATA file to specify EXTENSIONS AUTH_GSSAPI to accept the GSSAPI authentication mechanism or EXTENSIONS AUTH_TLS to accept the TLS authentication mechanism."

What is your EXTENSIONS parameter in your FTP.DATA file? We don't appear to have this parameter set.

I can access z/OSMF with my RACF userid/password directly from a browser.

Mark

• DaveN
            DaveN
            71 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-21T09:26:51Z  in response to Mervyn Day

Hi Mark,

The error message that you post talks about the FTP server, which gives me a thought.

When you create a z/OSMF connection, a child FTP connection is automatically created, because z/OSMF currently only supports the Job View, so an FTP connection is required in tandem to support the z/OS Unix Files and Data Sets Views.

The child FTP connection inherits the z/OSMF secure connection setting. Your FTP server is telling you that it doesn't support security.

Try editing your z/OSMF connection to associate it with an FTP connection that doesn't have security enabled.

Dave

• bluejoni2306
    bluejoni2306
    19 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-28T00:46:52Z  in response to JohnKnutson

Hi John, 

I am having a hard time trying to find the documentation I need to keep our GUI's up to date with our Zos and CICS platforms.

Currently in Production we are running CICS Explorer Version: 5.1.0.0  with PD tool plug-ins at V10/11  

We are currently rolling out upgrades for zOS from 1.13 to 2.1 (includes PD Tools to 12.1) and CICS from 3.1 to 5.1.  (WE require PHP)

I am currently trying to upgrade our GUI interfaces to keep inline with this and I am working on implementing 

zOS Explorer Version: 2.1.0.2 on Eclipse Platform (Version: 4.2.1.v20130118-173121-9MF7GHYdG0B5kx4E_SkfZV-1mNjVATf67ZAb7)

I used Installation Manager to download zOS Explorer and then used  Installation Manager to update zOS Explorer and install CICS Explorer SDK and the PD Tools. (following your installation experience)

Not sure how I can Cut and Paste what Plug-ins have been installed from the screens in zOS explorer.  It appears to me Installation Manager installed PD Tools Studio.  Does this work with zOS Explorer? I could not find any documentation on this. Or should it be installing PD Tools plug-ins individually and if so, how is this done? I did try this and APA still does not work.

I have attached a spreadsheet which shows our current production status and what I am trying to achieve.

What we need is

• Debug Tool
    • Fault Analyser
    • File Manager
    • Performance Analyser 
    • CICSPLEX SM

Currently

• CICSPLEX SM works OK with regions that are CICS3.1 or CICS 5.1 and the CICS 5.1 is now providing updateability.
    • Debug Tool  work OK
    • Fault Analyser works for LPARS that have been upgraded to zOS 2.1 and PD Tool V12.
    • File Manager (Access issues)
    • Performance Analyser does not work (getting IZE0106E Connect failed with error "[jcc][t4][2034][11148][4.14.88] Execution failed due to a distribution protocol error that caused deallocation of the conversation.)

Since CICS regions are upgraded by environment, within LPAR, we can have multiple CICS Versions and PD Tool Versions , where the LPAR upgrades affect all regions on that LPAR and PD Tools.

The Customisation guides for the PD tools , CICSs and zOS do not appear to  cover in great detail what actions need to be taken to verify the Zos Explorer connections, neither does the Online Help, which looks like it is just the Old CICs Explorer Help.

Where can I find documentation or assistance to work out the best way to upgrade using Installation Manager? so all the PD tools are working?

It appears to me at this point, that we will need to use Zos Explorer  so that we can use PD Tools V12  (once APA is working) , and upgrade to Zos 2.1 LPAR by LPAR as normal, leaving CICS Explorer in Production for those LPARs still running PD Tools V10/11.

Hope this makes sense and you can assist me yourself or directing me to someone who can

Thanks in advance

JOAN MURPHY

SYSTEMS PROGRAMMER (MAINFRAME PLATFORM)

OneTech
    IAG

Updated on 2014-04-09T18:41:35Z at 2014-04-09T18:41:35Z by JAntley
    • JohnKnutson
      JohnKnutson
      126 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-28T09:50:10Z  in response to bluejoni2306

Joan, take a look at this new Redpaper which gives you a overview of the options available for deploying the Explorer products. It's just out in draft, so if it doesn't answer all your questions, still time for it to be updated

• DaveN
        DaveN
        71 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-28T16:25:28Z  in response to JohnKnutson

I'll reply to your first post in a minute, just to add that the link to the Redpaper is: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/abstracts/redp5054.html

I think their site is down right now but they're working on it.

Dave

• bluejoni2306
          bluejoni2306
          19 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-11T00:35:25Z  in response to DaveN

Hi Dave

I am still waiting on the PD Tools V12 to be added to the repository , Do you know when this will be done?  While I am waiting, one of the things that the Red paper did not really explain well in regards to Installation Manager, was the use of Package Groups.  I think this concept is very much Eclipse based and new to Mainframers! Could you off some more information on how Package groups are used?  ie. We need Zos Explorer, Cics Explorer, and PD Tools, It seems that CICS Explorer and PD Tools are forced to be in the same Group as they share files in the shared Directory.  What is the advantage of putting different software into different package groups?  and what is the best way to Install these in your opinion?

• DaveN
            DaveN
            71 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-12T22:00:22Z  in response to bluejoni2306

Hi Joan,

I'll leave the PD tools issue for now because it's being discussed via email and having too many threads on the same topic makes it hard for us to keep track!

In terms of package groups, it is an Installation Manager concept (not Eclipse). I tried googling a bit but can't find any succint explanations.

Let me try and explain and clear up a couple of misconceptions!

1) When you install using a copy of Installation Manager, all things you install will generally share the same shared directory. This is to minimise the installed footprint, so you don't get two copies of the CICS Explorer plug-ins just because you installed it into both RTC and RD/z. However note that IM can cope with multiple versions of CICS Explorer in different package groups quite happily, and remembers which plug-ins are in use with which package groups.

So - you have all the plug-ins on disk in the shared directory.

2) Package groups are how you can choose which features and plug-ins that will coexist in a product. All of the features you try to install must be compatible with one another (i.e. if one requires CICS Explorer 5.1 and another requires CICS Explorer 5.1.1 then Installation Manager will refuse to install them together). Generally if you install two things that have a start menu icon (e.g. RAD and z/OS Explorer) then you will get both icons in the start menu and opening either should give you access to the features of the other.

Here's what I have, to give you an example.

a) A package group containing RAD 8 with CICS Explorer 1.1
            b) A package group containing z/OS Explorer 2.1 with CICS Explorer 5.1.1 and all of the CICS tools
            c) A package group containing RD/z 9 (which contains z/OS Explorer and CICS Explorer already)

(a) needs to be separate - RAD 8 is not compatible with z/OS Explorer 2.1 so I have kept it in a separate package group.
            (b) is a package group for me to test just our products in isolation
            (c) is a package group where I can test our function within RD/z

Note that each of these package groups contain a product that can exist on its own - I've made them bold. The items that are not bold require a bold item to install into.

So - all of these products and their plug-ins/features are held in the shared directory, but because they are installed into different package groups, I can't access the CICS tools (installed into (b)) from within RD/z (c).

With that information, the choice is yours! I would suggest that it makes sense to install as much as possible into the same package group because then your team will only need one copy of z/OS Explorer open with everything in it. This is certainly how I prefer to work. The only reason I would choose to have multiple package groups is for testing permutations (wihch you probably won't do) and to keep different versions available.

I hope that clears a path through the fog rather than just adding to it... There is some more info in the Installation Manager help if you search for package group, but I think my description is more practical.

Happy to clarify if need be but we might need to start a new forum thread because I almost wear my mouse wheel out scrolling up and down this thread to find the new posts :-)

• DaveN
      DaveN
      71 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-28T17:04:09Z  in response to bluejoni2306

Hi Joan,

I've read your post a couple of times and I'm trying to get to grips with what you're doing. It's not clear to me exactly what the spreadsheet is showing, so let's start by attacking the questions I can pick out of your text!

There seem to be a few things:
      1) Confusion about when to use z/OS Explorer and when to use CICS Explorer
      2) Confusion about the correct approach for installing additional software
      3) Some issues with installed software not working correctly with the host

>>> (1) <<<
      OK - so the first thing to note is that by introducing z/OS Explorer as a standalone product, and Installation Manager as an install mechanism, we have not yet taken anything away. You can still download CICS Explorer 5.1.1, just like you downloaded CICS Explorer 5.1, unzip the zip, and away you go. If you do this you will use the p2 mechanism for installing plugins.

Also, there is nothing "special" about z/OS Explorer. It is a component of CICS Explorer that we have pulled into a standalone product for those who don't have CICS systems but wanted some of the function. If you have CICS Explorer, you have z/OS Explorer already, built in.

So you might decide that you want to stick with downloading CICS Explorer and unzipping it, just like the old days of 5.1. You can do this if you like.

Alternatively, you might decide that Installation Manager looks like a better deployment option for your company. In this case, you would install z/OS Explorer using the launchpad. You would then install CICS Explorer and any plugins you need, into the z/OS Explorer.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves, I'm straying into question (2)!

>>> (2) <<<
      I would suggest that however you install z/OS Explorer and/or CICS Explorer, you use our update site to install tools on top of it. The advantage of this is that we have tested the tools from our update site will install together and should co-exist nicely. You'll find the URL of our update site on the z/OS Explorer and CICS Explorer download sites - it's http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/htp/zos/2/1/0

You can use that URL for Installation Manager (if you chose to install z/OS Explorer via the launchpad) by opening up the Installation Manager product from your start menu and adding via File > Preferences.

If you downloaded the CICS Explorer zip and unzipped it, you will be using the p2 installation mechanism and should use the Help > Install New Software dialog within CICS Explorer.

Either way, when you install the software, just tick the boxes of the items you need. I don't believe PD studio is available via this mechanism.

>>> (3) <<<
      Once you have a set of software installed using the above mechanism (which is essentially what we suggest on the web site, except we use fewer words!), if you still have problems then they are setup issues with the individual servers, or bugs with the individual products! Attack them how you normally would - forum post, PMR, etc.

Hope that adds a bit of clarity.

Dave

• bluejoni2306
        bluejoni2306
        19 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-29T01:10:06Z  in response to DaveN

Hi Dave and John,

Loved the redpaper, just what I needed! You will have to be patient with me since I am a Mainframe Sysprog and all this Java and Eclipse stuff is a steep learning curve for me. 

Basicaly my spreadsheet showed , we were using CICS Explorer with Zos Explorer plug in and PD Tools plugins.

Stewart Francis advised that using Installation Manager to install would be our best preference since we do not have to want to keep reinstalling the entire application (which is what I have had to do the last two times).

So I followed the CICS Explorer download page and John Knutsons document

Downloadable files

Abstract

From this page you can install and upgrade to the latest release of CICS Explorer, IBM Explorer for z/OS (z/OS Explorer), and the CICS Tools plug-ins for the CICS Explorer.

Download Description

From the three methods of installation that are available for CICS Explorer, select the one that is right for you:

1. IBM Installation Manager (IM) - Recommended
        2. Eclipse P2 Update
        3. Direct Download

To help you decide, Release Notes are provided, and Further Information is also available.

IBM Installation Manager Scenarios

Scenario 1 - New to IM and CICS Explorer V5.1.1

You do nothave IM installed and want to use CICS Explorer V5.1.1 for the first time
        1. This scenario installs IBM Explorer for z/OS1 (z/OS Explorer) prior to installing CICS Explorer. Ensure that you meet the minimum system requirements for both z/OS Explorer and CICS Explorer
        2. Download IM and z/OS Explorer in this single package Click me to download (727MB)
        3. Unzip* then run "launchpad" to install both Installation Manager and z/OS Explorer
        4. In IM, select Check for Other Versions, Fixes, and Extensions
        5. Choose CICS Explorer SDK (click for screen capture)

When it came to downloading the Plug-ins though, I need V12 and the IBM repository does not offer V12 only v13,

What I wanted was to see if you could check the IMB repository to see if the V12 plugins for PD Tools are there?

I might try the Packaging Utility mentioned in the red paper and see if I can download a copy of the repository.

Thanks in adance

• DaveN
          DaveN
          71 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-30T12:40:40Z  in response to bluejoni2306

Hi there,

Stew's suggestion about using IM was a good one for the reason you suggested. The problem is when you went away from our update site and downloaded the V12 PD Tools, I think.

I wouldn't recommend you try the packaging uytility just to see if it makes a difference - it won't. What's on the repository is on the repository and the packagin utility will just make a copy of the repository on your local hard disk!

The problem here is that you are trying to use PD Tools V12 with z/OS Explorer 2.1 / CICS Explorer 5.1.1.

Let me get someone from PD tools to comment on this - I'm not convinced that's a supportable situation.

Dave

• KevinWickNTRS
        KevinWickNTRS
        9 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-08T21:13:54Z  in response to DaveN

Okay, this is starting to make sense for me as well.  I do have some questions of my own.

"...by introducing z/OS Explorer as a standalone product, and Installation Manager as an install mechanism, we have not yet taken anything away. You can still download CICS Explorer..."

Does this imply that in the future, only z/OS Explorer will be installable, and then CICS Explorer and MQ Explorer will only be available as plugins through z/OS Explorer (or Eclipse)?

"...there is nothing "special" about z/OS Explorer. It is a component of CICS Explorer that we have pulled into a standalone product..."

This leads me to believe that if you have standalone CICS Explorer, you have all the features of standalone z/OS Explorer.  Is the reverse also true?  If I install standalone z/OS Explorer and then add the CICS and MQ plugins, do I have the exact same functionality as standalone CICS Explorer and standalone MQ Explorer?  Is there any benefit to either methodology?

What about compatibility with RTC?  Does adding the CICS Explorer plugin to a Eclipse with RTC give me the z/OS Explorer features?  I assume it's silly to install a standalone Explorer if the developer has Eclipse already.

How about RDz?  I assume both the CICS Explorer and MQ Explorer plugins are fully compatible, right?  Does z/OS Explorer give me anything RDz doesn't already have?

Updated on 2013-11-08T21:52:00Z at 2013-11-08T21:52:00Z by KevinWickNTRS
        • DaveN
          DaveN
          71 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-10T22:03:13Z  in response to KevinWickNTRS

Hi Kevin.

Great questions.

Regarding the question of CICS Explorer not being provided as an installable, I certainly didn't intend to imply that! For Installation Manager, it makes best technical sense to provide z/OS Explorer with CICS Explorer as a plug-in on top (although using silent install you could make this pretty transparent to your users).

As you allude to in the rest of your comments, z/OS Explorer and CICS Explorer are all collections of components in different combinations.

z/OS Explorer contains: Eclipse + z/OS plug-ins
          CICS Explorer contains Eclipse + z/OS plug-ins + CICS plug-ins

Therefore as you say, installing CICS Explorer standalone (i.e. the p2 version that unzips), you have all of z/OS Explorer too. If you install z/OS Explorer via IM, you don't have the CICS Explorer features (unless you add in the CICS Explorer feature in which case they're functionally the same).

Essentially the choice currently comes down to whether you prefer Installation Manager or p2. If you prefer p2, go for CICS Explorer standalone. If you prefer IM, go for z/OS Explorer + CICS Explorer on top.

One of the reasons for providing better Installation Manager support is to improve our co-existence with RTC, RAD, RD/z and other Rational products. Installation Manager has a concept of package groups, and installing multiple products into one package group allows them to "shell share", which means you can access multiple products from within one product window (e.g. install z/OS Explorer into RTC and you can access to z/OS Explorer features from within RTC and vice versa).

Installation Manager takes care of making sure that if, for instance, z/OS Explorer needs more bits of Eclipse than RTC provided, they get pulled in correctly.

To take advantage of this shell sharing, you really need to be using Installation Manager. You could install CICS Explorer into RAD and RD/z using p2, but you will land yourself in hot water because Installation Manager will get confused when you next try and upgrade or install additional features using IM.

We recognise that this is an area of confusion for customers - we've spent a while working on a Redpaper to try and set out the options. It's in draft, do have a read: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedpieceAbstracts/redp5054.html?Open - feedback gratefully received.

If any of what I wrote isn't clear, do post back. I think a lot of people have these questions, so very happy to clarify in the forum so it's searchable on google :-)

Dave

• DaveN
            DaveN
            71 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-10T22:04:25Z  in response to DaveN

ps RD/z includes CICS Explorer (and therefore z/OS Explorer), so you can't very well install either of them into RD/z - they're already there!

Some of the CICS Explorer function is hidden by default within RD/z, you can turn it on within RD/z 9 by using the Window > Preferences > Capabilities menu.

• Gnanas
              Gnanas
              6 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-18T08:50:47Z  in response to DaveN

Hi Dave,

I've RDZ 8.5 installed and CICS explorer plug in too. But not sure, how to open CICS explorer. I tried Window > Preferences > Capabilities menu... but no luck. Please advise.

• DaveN
                DaveN
                71 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-18T09:03:33Z  in response to Gnanas

Hi there,

The CICS Explorer perspectives are available from RD/z - use the Window > Open perspective menu. Look for CICS SM.

It's possible that in looking in the capabilities menu you've managed to turn things off. Pop back in there and tick both of the CICS boxes (RD/z comes by default with only the application development button ticked which will mean you can't work with definitions).

Dave

• Gnanas
                  Gnanas
                  6 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-18T10:12:53Z  in response to DaveN

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I am not seeing CICS explorer perspective. But I could see CICS SM. With CICS SM, When I try to connect with "CICS Management Interface" to CICS region, I am getting the below error.

IZE0106E Connect failed with error "Unsupported CICS release"

But, my college is able to connect with "Edit CMCI Connection" pop up to CICS region. Is this pop up a part of CICS Explorer plug in? I am not seeing "Edit CMCI Connection pop up" with CICS SM perspective.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Gnana N.

• DaveN
                    DaveN
                    71 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-18T11:22:07Z  in response to Gnanas

Hiya,

Are you using an older version of RD/z than your colleague?

Which versions of RD/z are you both using and which version of CICS are you trying to connect to?

Dave

• Gnanas
                      Gnanas
                      6 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-18T11:38:50Z  in response to DaveN

Hi Dave,

I'm using RDZ 8.5. My colleague is using RDZ 9. CICS on z/OS is CICS TS 5.1

Please advise.

Thanks,

Gnana N.

• DaveN
                        DaveN
                        71 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-18T11:59:01Z  in response to Gnanas

There is the problem :-)

The version of CICS Explorer contained in RD/z 8.5 is 1.1.1. This is not able to connect to CICS TS 5.1 because although we maintain backwards compatibility, we are not able to guarantee to be forwards compatible.

You will need RD/z 9, to connect to CICS TS 5.1.

Dave

• Gnanas
                          Gnanas
                          6 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-18T12:09:19Z  in response to DaveN

OK, Dave. I'll check to upgrade to Version 9. Thanks a lot for your help.

Updated on 2014-02-18T12:09:27Z at 2014-02-18T12:09:27Z by Gnanas
                        • Gnanas
                          Gnanas
                          6 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-18T12:57:31Z  in response to DaveN

Hi Dave,

I just noticed that CICS Explorer version installed with RDz 8.5 is v5.1.1

When I try to install a new software using RDz --> Help --> Install new software (from the site http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/htp/zos/2/1/0) of IBM CICS Explorer v5.1.1 5.1.104.20140127-1518, I'm getting the below message.

Your original request has been modified.
                            "IBM CICS Explorer v5.1.1" is already installed, so an update will be performed instead.
                          Cannot complete the install because of a conflicting dependency.
                            Software being installed: IBM CICS Explorer v5.1.1 5.1.104.20140127-1518 (com.ibm.cics.core.feature.feature.group 5.1.104.20140127-1518)
                            Software currently installed: Shared profile 1.0.0.1392377806507 (SharedProfile_bootProfile 1.0.0.1392377806507)
                            Only one of the following can be installed at once:
                              CICS Eclipse Common Plug-in 1.1.101.201205231837 (com.ibm.cics.eclipse.common 1.1.101.201205231837)
                              CICS Eclipse Common Plug-in 2.1.0.20140127-1422 (com.ibm.cics.eclipse.common 2.1.0.20140127-1422)
                            Cannot satisfy dependency:
                              From: Shared profile 1.0.0.1392377806507 (SharedProfile_bootProfile 1.0.0.1392377806507)
                              To: com.ibm.cics.eclipse.common [1.1.101.201205231837]
                              From: IBM CICS Explorer v5.1.1 5.1.104.20140127-1518 (com.ibm.cics.core.feature.feature.group 5.1.104.20140127-1518)
                              To: com.ibm.cics.platform.feature.feature.group [2.1.0,3.0.0)
                              From: Explorer Platform Feature 2.1.4.20140127-1422 (com.ibm.cics.platform.feature.feature.group 2.1.4.20140127-1422)
                              To: com.ibm.cics.eclipse.common [2.1.0.20140127-1422]

Looks like, IBM CICS Explorer V5.1.1 is already there. Please advise.

Thanks,

Gnana N.

• DaveN
                            DaveN
                            71 Posts
                            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-18T13:22:04Z  in response to Gnanas

Hey Gnana,

I think you need to update RD/z to v9 before you try and update z/OS Explorer.

We required to make some API changes for CICS Explorer v5.1.1 which mean that some operations will not work correctly with RD/z v8.5.

Dave

• Gnanas
                              Gnanas
                              6 Posts
                              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-18T13:28:11Z  in response to DaveN

OK, Dave. Thank you.

• KevinWickNTRS
            KevinWickNTRS
            9 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-12T14:23:00Z  in response to DaveN

To take advantage of this shell sharing, you really need to be using Installation Manager. You could install CICS Explorer into RAD and RD/z using p2, but you will land yourself in hot water because Installation Manager will get confused when you next try and upgrade or install additional features using IM.

Perfect.  Since we have RTC and RDz considerations, I think I'm going to attempt the Installation Manager route.  It sounds like the best precedent to set, considering compatibility for current/future integration.

Thanks for the help.  Now it's time for me to start reading up on silent installs!

• KevinWickNTRS
              KevinWickNTRS
              9 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-12T20:14:37Z  in response to KevinWickNTRS

Well, it looks like Installation Manager isn't going to work with MQ Explorer:

I am very pleased to announce (at long last) that the plug-in for WebSphere MQ Explorer V7.5.0.2 is now available for installation into z/OS Explorer V2.1 or CICS Explorer V5.1.1. You will only find it in the common Eclipse P2 repository - it is not available in IM format.
              https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=02e76710-3bae-4d82-8073-9dc887e5ad02

It sounds like we can only install z/OS and CICS Explorer together with Installation Manager, then add MQ Explorer as a plugin.  Is that correct?  Are there any other options when MQ Explorer is involved?

Do you have any idea of the timetable on adding MQ Explorer support for Installation Manager?

Updated on 2013-11-12T20:49:37Z at 2013-11-12T20:49:37Z by KevinWickNTRS
              • DaveN
                DaveN
                71 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-12T21:41:54Z  in response to KevinWickNTRS

Hi Kevin,

Sadly you are correct - MQ Explorer is p2 only. You can install this into Installation Manager but it is not as bullet proof (see Disappearing MQ Explorer topic in this forum).

I will pass your feedback onto the MQ team but I would recommend raising an RFE against them to help them properly understand and track their customers' requirements!

Dave

• KevinWickNTRS
                  KevinWickNTRS
                  9 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-13T14:47:07Z  in response to DaveN

Done: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=41592

<shamelessplug>Vote for me!</shamelessplug>

• DaveN
                    DaveN
                    71 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-25T09:14:57Z  in response to KevinWickNTRS

Hi Kevin,

I replied to your question about adding some doc about MQ Explorer to the deployment redpaper. I guess you won't get notified, any chance you could give a bit of feedback? (http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/WebComment?OpenForm&ParentUNID=5AF5A181F9977D8085257BD40061B764)

My intention was that for each type of installation, there'd be an "Installing additional plug-ins and tools" section which would give information about how you would go about installing an additional plug-in (of which MQ Explorer is an example).

Thanks!

Dave

Updated on 2013-11-25T09:16:45Z at 2013-11-25T09:16:45Z by DaveN
                    • KevinWickNTRS
                      KevinWickNTRS
                      9 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-25T20:17:51Z  in response to DaveN

Yes, it looks like the only way to get RedBooks notifcations is through RSS, which I apparently can't subscribe to at the office.  I downloaded the new book and took a quick read, but I didn't see any changes.  What sections were updated?

I'll post some other things that I found in the RedBook comment section.

• KevinWickNTRS
                        KevinWickNTRS
                        9 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-25T20:40:48Z  in response to KevinWickNTRS

Well, looks like there's a pretty strict character limit on the RedBooks comments.  I'll provide some more general feedback here:

I think it's the wide variety of download options that is the most confusing part.  If every Explorer product had a Launchpad, a direct download, and Installation Manager compatibility, this would be much simpler.  However, that's not the case.

Early on, in the "1.1 Starting out" section of the RedBook, the "For z/OS Explorer" header tells me I can download the Launchpad or reference the URL in an existing Installation Manager.  It doesn't say that I can download Installation Manager itself and add the URL there as well.  The Launchpad isn't the only way to get Installation Manager.

The information is different in the "For CICS Explorer" section.  It tells me to "install z/OS Explorer or IBM Rational® Application Developer", which simply isn't required.  The URL can simply be provided to Installation Manager. 

In general, it is confusing as to why there are install options for some IBM Explorer products, and not for others.  For example, there is a "CICS Explorer p2 download" option (Direct download) for CICS and not for z/OS.  Alternatively, the Launchpad is listed as an option for z/OS Explorer, but not for CICS Explorer (which has a Launchpad available online, that includes z/OS Explorer).

It would be helpful if the RedBook explained that z/OS Explorer or CICS Explorer can be installed with Installation Manager or P2 by referencing the URL, but how you get Installation Manager (possibly combined with a Explorer product as a Launchpad) or Eclipse (possibly combined with a Explorer product as a Direct Download) is something else entirely.  The various methods of software delivery (and why some exist and some don't) should be made clear.

• DaveN
                          DaveN
                          71 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-26T08:10:10Z  in response to KevinWickNTRS

Thanks, Kevin. Character limits in comments are a massive pain. Especially when they happen with no warning or visual feedback! I think I hit that one too.

The book has been sent for editing apparently (I tried to make a minor update yesterday to the pluginCustomization appendix) but I'll see if I can work out some minor changes.

I absolutely agree about the confusion - there are many different ways you can install Explorer.

1) Why would you want to download Installation Manager on its own? We decided not to advertise Installation Manager as a standalone product (although you can find it by searching the 'net) because it adds to the number of permutations that are a starting point! I suppose that if you are planning a multi-user rollout it could be useful. I'll see if I can get a sentence in the IM section.

2) CICS Explorer has to install into an existing package group - it's not capable of installing on its own. Before you can install CICS Explorer you need to install z/OS Explorer or another Eclipse-based container like Rational Application Developer. Sure you can tick CICS Explorer and the same time as you tick z/OS Explorer (which was suggested in z/OS Explorer paragraph above - "option to install both plug-ins and tools". Has your experience been different?

3) / 4) Yes. This confusion is the most frustrating bit for me. I think ideally I would have chosen for us just to provide z/OS Explorer packages, with CICS Explorer being something you can install into it. This would have made the download page simpler, not added much overhead for users getting started, and made the set of choices for users smaller. However we have provided a CICS Explorer download since the product began so removing it isn't really an option :-) We were unsure how many customers would want to use IM, so it's possible we could decide in the future to provide a CICS Explorer launchpad.

I'll see what changes I can get in. The aim I was hoping for with the Red paper was that after reading you'd have more of an idea about which deployment mechanism you were interested in, and from there could make a more informed decision about whether you needed to use Installation Manager or p2.

If you have a CICS advocate, I'd be happy to join one of your advocacy calls to talk through what your plans are and how you're getting on.

Dave

• KevinWickNTRS
                    KevinWickNTRS
                    9 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-11-21T15:08:30Z  in response to KevinWickNTRS

This RFE was rejected by the MQ Team.  It seems like the best way to get MQ, CICS, and z/OS Explorer all under one roof is by simply installing Eclipse standalone and then adding them as plug-ins.  Pretty disappointing.

I hope IBM can get the shell sharing figured out before we end up buy buying RTC/RDz.

• bluejoni2306
    bluejoni2306
    19 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-28T00:57:41Z  in response to JohnKnutson

Me again!  Do we have a Forum for z/OS Explorer , If not can we have one?

• JohnKnutson
      JohnKnutson
      126 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-28T09:45:56Z  in response to bluejoni2306

Hello Joan. We weren't planning to start a z/OS Explorer forum, but will reconsider that thought if the level of activity picks up and the need for a separate forum becomes clearer.

• KevinWickNTRS
      KevinWickNTRS
      9 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-08T21:15:51Z  in response to bluejoni2306

Agreed.  A general "IBM Explorer" forum that covers all the flavors would be nice to have.

• brigitte10
    brigitte10
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-27T16:39:04Z  in response to JohnKnutson

we are a JES3 shop, and we have Jes interface level 1 and not planning on installing level 2 due to lax security.  So at this time we cannot display/view jobs which is a show stopper for us.  If we installed  Jes interface level 2, is there a way to set up some security on Explorer so users can only view their own jobs, and only designated users can modify jobs?  I haven't been able to find information on this.  documentation does say that we can set security, but I cannot find how to do it.

thank you

brigitte

brigitte.pruett@va.gov

• Erich Hoppe
      Erich Hoppe
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-04T13:51:08Z  in response to brigitte10

Hello Brigitte,

When using JESINTERFACELEVEL=2, you can most certainly secure which users can access which jobs. This is explain in the z/OS infocenter. The security you need to consider is on the JES side. The following link should contain the information necessary for configuring JES security access via FTP: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v1r13/topic/com.ibm.zos.r13.halu001/f1a1b9a150.htm

From that link, the important paragraph is:

Before customizing the FTP-to-JES interface, you must complete JES customization. For example, JESJOBS is an SAF class that controls which users can submit jobs to JES. JESSPOOL is the SAF class that controls which users can access output jobs. Customize these SAF classes before beginning customization of the FTP-to-JES interface.

Here is another link that also explains how to Provide security for JES3.  
      http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v1r13/topic/com.ibm.zos.r13.iata600/prov.htm#prov 

I hope this helps.

Regards, Erich