• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-12-12T08:03:25Z by Andreas_Muegge
JirongHu
JirongHu
683 Posts

Pinned topic Why don't enable dynamic view in Windows

‏2013-09-12T17:46:32Z |

Hi

I am at a new client site where the CC server is on Linux. They don't support dynamic views on Windows. Is there any good reason for that?

Thanks

Jirong

• benray
    benray
    74 Posts

Re: Why don't enable dynamic view in Windows

‏2013-09-16T16:57:54Z  

Dynamic views are supported by IBM on Windows clients accessing Linux-hosted VOBs. I'm not sure why an environment would exclude use of dynamic views on Windows in this situation. It could be that there are restrictions on mapping the albd server account to the Linux side (when the views are hosted on windows) or there is no working interop configuration such as samba (if the vobs are stored on the Linux host) or CIFS (if they are on a filer). Worth asking why that is the policy.

• JirongHu
    JirongHu
    683 Posts

‏2013-09-16T17:02:56Z  
    • benray
    • ‏2013-09-16T16:57:54Z

Dynamic views are supported by IBM on Windows clients accessing Linux-hosted VOBs. I'm not sure why an environment would exclude use of dynamic views on Windows in this situation. It could be that there are restrictions on mapping the albd server account to the Linux side (when the views are hosted on windows) or there is no working interop configuration such as samba (if the vobs are stored on the Linux host) or CIFS (if they are on a filer). Worth asking why that is the policy.

Thanks for your reply. I did see a samba exporting some build scripts on Linux to Windows. I haven't asked the administrator about this because I don't want to make people think I am like questioning their expertise. Maybe it's time to ask now. This is the first time I see this.

• JirongHu
    JirongHu
    683 Posts

‏2013-12-10T20:12:16Z  
    • benray
    • ‏2013-09-16T16:57:54Z

They used to have dynamic views enabled. Then after the CC server (Linux) was moved to a data centre out of town, the connection is too slow to make dynamic view work properly, so they stop it.

Today, I just find out there is Mcafee running on the view server (all views are created on a central Windows view server). Could it be a serious problem?

Thanks

Jirong

• Andreas_Muegge
    Andreas_Muegge
    2 Posts

‏2013-12-12T08:03:25Z  
    • JirongHu
    • ‏2013-12-10T20:12:16Z

They used to have dynamic views enabled. Then after the CC server (Linux) was moved to a data centre out of town, the connection is too slow to make dynamic view work properly, so they stop it.

Today, I just find out there is Mcafee running on the view server (all views are created on a central Windows view server). Could it be a serious problem?

Thanks

Jirong

The biggest problem is latency between client and server. Even a few ms (4 or more) will result in a poor performance.