Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2015-05-26T22:41:33Z by mor
amccarl
amccarl
73 Posts

Pinned topic Error DB2JAVIT : RC = 9505

‏2013-06-11T18:29:23Z |

When opening any DB2 GUI tool the folowing error maybe seen: DB2JAVIT : RC = 9505.

The reason for the error is because the user ID does not have privileges to access the files in the DB2 installation directory (i.e. C:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB) due to the extended security feature. With this feature enabled, only administrators and users that belong to the extended security groups DB2USERS or DB2ADMNS will be able to access the install directory and will be able to launch the GUI tools. Please note that on UAC enabled operating systems like Windows Vista, 7, and 2008, administrators may still need to be added to DB2USERS or DB2ADMNS as Windows does not include the full administrator access token when logged in.

For more information on this please see the following Microsoft doc:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691%28WS.10%29.aspx

To resolve the problem, verify that the user ID that is trying to open the DB2 GUI tool is part of the Windows groups DB2ADMNS and DB2USERS. To do this:

• Go to Start
  • Control Panel
  • Administrative Tools
  • Computer Management
  • Local Users and Groups
  • Groups

You should see the groups DB2ADMNS and DB2USERS. Verify that the user ID you are trying to open the GUI tool with is part of these groups. If user ID is not part of the groups, manually add the user ID to the groups.

This is also covered by the technical article 1417336 http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21417336
Updated on 2013-06-14T14:40:54Z at 2013-06-14T14:40:54Z by amccarl
  • amccarl
    amccarl
    73 Posts

Re: Error DB2JAVIT : RC = 9505

‏2013-06-14T14:25:40Z  
    Hello!  We've had a number of clients respond through feedback to our technical documents indicating that they have further questions or comments that require additional dialogue.  Unfortunately, our feedback is anonymous, so unless an email address or other contact information is included, we have no way to get back in touch with you.

Within DB2 support, the management team asked if we could somehow link our documents to the forums so that we could invite more discussion - like this!   As a start, we chose about 30 technical articles and "seeded" the forum with initial entries so that we could have a starting place for conversation.  The documents have now been updated with links to the forums as well.  

Hopefully, we will make DB2 support better by providing more interaction around our technical information!

• TimCornillaud
    TimCornillaud
    1 Post

‏2013-07-23T19:19:29Z  

This almost solved my problem, but I need to do just a bit more...

It seems that after adding my userid to the DB2ADMIN and DB2USERS group that I had to logout and log back it to finally get it to work.  The DB2 task center (the particular tool I was trying to use when I experienced this issue) failed during launch exactly the same way immediately after adding the user to the groups.  I then logged off and back on; then the task center launched as expected.

(It may be that the referenced Microsoft doc covers this nuance.  I did not read all of it.)

• Adam Koile
    Adam Koile
    3 Posts

‏2013-07-24T20:13:40Z  

This almost solved my problem, but I need to do just a bit more...

It seems that after adding my userid to the DB2ADMIN and DB2USERS group that I had to logout and log back it to finally get it to work.  The DB2 task center (the particular tool I was trying to use when I experienced this issue) failed during launch exactly the same way immediately after adding the user to the groups.  I then logged off and back on; then the task center launched as expected.

(It may be that the referenced Microsoft doc covers this nuance.  I did not read all of it.)

Hello Tim, 

Thank you very much for your post, and letting us know your findings. I'm happy to hear you were able to get around the problem. I have added your findings to the tech note. 

Thanks again for your input!

Adam
  • Edward.D.
    Edward.D.
    1 Post

‏2015-05-26T02:55:55Z  

Is there any alternative to this solution? Our security team does not approve requesting for this access.

• andrewmcl
    andrewmcl
    112 Posts

‏2015-05-26T22:24:46Z  
    • Edward.D.
    • ‏2015-05-26T02:55:55Z

Is there any alternative to this solution? Our security team does not approve requesting for this access.

The best solution we found was to not use Windows for anything. Yes, I'm an o/s bigot! LOL

• mor
    mor
    556 Posts

‏2015-05-26T22:41:33Z  
    • Edward.D.
    • ‏2015-05-26T02:55:55Z

Usage of the enhanced-security on Windows is optional (but default) during DB2 server installation on Windows (whether installing from GUI or from response file).

If you don't require the enhanced-security, any logged on User can use the GUI tools provided with DB2 (subject to their database permissions and other rights).

Usage of DB2 GUI tools is also optional, there are command-line equivalents and other GUIs (both from IBM itself, e.g. Data Studio, and from many other suppliers).

Tools not supplied by DB2 are not impacted (but of course they may  require the user to have sysadm/dbadm/other rights/permissions to do their job).

Apart from that, you should try to understand why your security-team has a problem with adding users to groups...keeping in mind this can be easily done either at local level or at domain/AD level.