IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-08-21T09:59:47Z by wanye_m
wanye_m
wanye_m
4 Posts

Pinned topic custom report of processes and versions?

‏2013-05-01T12:32:49Z |

I'm pretty new to systems director (our server went live a few weeks ago) and i'm trying to get a custom report out of it...

I've set up a bunch of static and dynamic groups based on our server types/functions (eg reporting, batch, who manages them, etc)

what i'm trying to now get out of them is a custom list of what processes are running on a server and what version of the program it is.

in the "view and collect inventory" section i've got a traget systems group of servers, but when i go to "manage profiles" there doesnt seem to be a way to set up a custom list.

I'm not bothered about which windows patches are installed, or other stuff like that, what i need is to set a list of possible apps running eg:

c:\program1\customapplication1.exe

c:\program2\customapplication2.exe

c:\program3\customapplication3.exe

(or in the case of linux servers)

/opt/app1/bin/customapplication1

and so on. then if a server has that application installed (and running) on a machine, for it to report the executable name, version, datestamp and a few other bits.

then i want to be able to apply this to a group of servers (target systems) and output to csv/html/etc like you can by selecting something like the "basic windows info" option in "view by" and then "export all"

does that make sense?

is it possible? i've spent the last two days trying to figure out how to do this... it's for a report we want to run every few months to identify servers running old versions of the custom applications running...

cheers,

w.

*edit*

as implied, these are custom apps, and dont have installers or anything, they are just executables stored on the disk and run via a startup script at boot. at the moment, the only custom app that DOES show up in the "installed software" inventory list is registered as a service

Updated on 2013-05-01T13:03:34Z at 2013-05-01T13:03:34Z by wanye_m
  • wanye-m
    wanye-m
    1 Post

Re: custom report of processes and versions?

‏2013-05-08T09:31:43Z  

anyone?

surely this is something obvious that other people do... isnt it?

have i described what i need to do badly, or is it just that nobody else knows how to do this/whether it is possible?

incidentally, i'm running version 6.3.0 of everything apart from vmcontrol express edition which is v2.4.0. we will be updating shortly, but need to wait on a firewall config change so it can pull down updates from the internet

Updated on 2013-05-08T09:39:10Z at 2013-05-08T09:39:10Z by wanye-m
  • wanye_m
    wanye_m
    4 Posts

‏2013-05-30T08:03:29Z  

i finally got round to sorting out firewall access so it could pull down updates, and upgraded it to v6.3.2.1

can somebody tell me if it is at all possible? this is making work really difficult not being able to do it...

• wqc_zj
    wqc_zj
    4 Posts

‏2013-06-26T03:35:58Z  
    • wanye_m
    • ‏2013-05-30T08:03:29Z

i finally got round to sorting out firewall access so it could pull down updates, and upgraded it to v6.3.2.1

can somebody tell me if it is at all possible? this is making work really difficult not being able to do it...

I have the same  problems 。who will help us?

• wanye_m
    wanye_m
    4 Posts

‏2013-08-19T14:34:46Z  
    • wqc_zj
    • ‏2013-06-26T03:35:58Z

I have the same  problems 。who will help us?

its coming up to 4 months since my original post, and still no response... so i'm guessing no-one will help us! :(

• --Craig
    --Craig
    16 Posts

‏2013-08-19T21:16:35Z  
    • wanye_m
    • ‏2013-08-19T14:34:46Z

its coming up to 4 months since my original post, and still no response... so i'm guessing no-one will help us! :(

Perhaps the reason no one has replied is because there isn't a way to do what you are wanting to do (at least not a documented way to do it).  You can get a list of running applications from systems running the Common Agent by right-clicking on the system and selecting System Status and Health --> Manage Processes.  This information can be exported.

Unfortunately, IBM does not document how to collect inventory for custom applications that are not installed with a typical installer.  However... if you create an Inventory Profile, you will notice that you can select the Inventory Service that is used, and it will allow you to select a Registry, Catalog, or both.  For the catalog, it references a file softwaresignatures.xml.  There is documentation on other IBM products that use the same file name for inventory collection.  I've never tested it, but it seems possible it could be used to scan for your custom applications.  Since this isn't documented, it would not be supported.

• wanye_m
    wanye_m
    4 Posts

‏2013-08-21T09:59:47Z  
    • --Craig
    • ‏2013-08-19T21:16:35Z

Perhaps the reason no one has replied is because there isn't a way to do what you are wanting to do (at least not a documented way to do it).  You can get a list of running applications from systems running the Common Agent by right-clicking on the system and selecting System Status and Health --> Manage Processes.  This information can be exported.

Unfortunately, IBM does not document how to collect inventory for custom applications that are not installed with a typical installer.  However... if you create an Inventory Profile, you will notice that you can select the Inventory Service that is used, and it will allow you to select a Registry, Catalog, or both.  For the catalog, it references a file softwaresignatures.xml.  There is documentation on other IBM products that use the same file name for inventory collection.  I've never tested it, but it seems possible it could be used to scan for your custom applications.  Since this isn't documented, it would not be supported.

thanks for the response!

if its not possible, thats fine... i just wasnt sure if it was just me doing something wrong or not.

i'll have a look into the softwaresignatures.xml possibility...