Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-10T08:31:18Z by AndersHammar
AndersHammar
AndersHammar
5 Posts

Pinned topic Version of artifacts installed by was.installer Maven project

‏2013-08-08T06:28:25Z |

While going through the instructions on how to set up the Maven environment for performing development with RAD/WAS, I was surprised to see that all artifacts installed by the com.ibm.tools.target:was.installer project has version 1.0.0. This goes for was.installer v8.0.0 as well as v8.5.5 in the IBM Maven repository.

I find this strange for several reasons:

• If any of the artifacts have changed between v8.0.0 and v8.5.5 of WAS this is plain wrong. You must never reuse a version number for a different version of an artifact. I don't have WAS 8.5.5 around so I can't verify if this is the case though.
  • Why not use the version number of WAS instead? Or the actual version number of the artifact? E.g. com.ibm.websphere.j2ee:j2ee:6.0

It would be great if someone with background info on this could clarify! The first bullet is a real concern for me as it would cause great issues in a corporate environment with many developers and different versions of WAS being used.

Update: I did a compare between WAS 8.0.0.1 and 8.0.0.6 and at least some of the jars differ. So my first concern is a fact even in the 8.0.0.x range of WAS.

/Anders

• rsanchezh
    rsanchezh
    26 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Version of artifacts installed by was.installer Maven project

‏2013-09-06T21:55:33Z  

Thank you Anders for reporting this. You are completely right, the version of the artifacts should not be 1.0.0 for all them. We are working on correcting this.

• ChrisGWarp
    ChrisGWarp
    1 Post

‏2013-08-23T03:22:37Z  

Hi Anders.

As for the 8.0.0.1 vs 8.0.0.6 issue, that's normal and to be expected. It's simply a case of 8.0.0.0 with FP 1 and FP6 applied respecitively. That is where the difference versions of WAS come from. No different to the way we version and release things in Maven land. :-)

I've not looked for the com.ibm.tools... stuff, where can I find it?

-Chris

• AndersHammar
    AndersHammar
    5 Posts

‏2013-08-23T08:53:03Z  

Hi Anders.

As for the 8.0.0.1 vs 8.0.0.6 issue, that's normal and to be expected. It's simply a case of 8.0.0.0 with FP 1 and FP6 applied respecitively. That is where the difference versions of WAS come from. No different to the way we version and release things in Maven land. :-)

I've not looked for the com.ibm.tools... stuff, where can I find it?

-Chris

Chris,

The URL for the Maven repo is:

http://public.dhe.ibm.com/ibmdl/export/pub/software/websphere/wasdev/maven/repository/

Wrt the differences between artifacts from different versions av WAS, you just can't give them the same version number in a Maven world. It will not work in a larger setup than your personal hobbie scenario. Putting things in your local repository, as instructed by the RAD guide, is not how you should do things in a corp environment. There you need to put it in a remote Maven repo used by all devs. And then you need separate versions for the jars/artifacts as they differ depending on which WAS version they come from.

Here's the URL for the RAD 9.0 guide that talks about the approach IBM suggests:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/radhelp/v9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.etools.maven.doc%2Ftopics%2Fmaven_intro.html

So what I've done right now is that I add a qualifier to the IBM suggested version, indicating which WAS version it comes from. E.g. "1.0.0-ACME-WAS8006". I then also needed to create an altered dependency grouping pom (com.ibm.tools.target:was) per WAS version, using the new version number (incl. qualifier) for the deps.

We'll see how this works out. Too bad though that the official IBM way will direct corp developers onto a not-so-good path (from a Maven perspective).

/Anders

• rsanchezh
    rsanchezh
    26 Posts

‏2013-09-06T21:55:33Z  

Thank you Anders for reporting this. You are completely right, the version of the artifacts should not be 1.0.0 for all them. We are working on correcting this.

• AndersHammar
    AndersHammar
    5 Posts

‏2013-09-10T08:31:18Z  
    • rsanchezh
    • ‏2013-09-06T21:55:33Z

Thanks for looking into this. Please update this thread when this has been fixed!

/Anders