• 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-10T08:17:34Z by JLGuyot
Carlo.Castillo
Carlo.Castillo
11 Posts

Pinned topic virtual disks appear for some partitions, but not for others

‏2013-07-08T06:44:16Z | vio vios

System p52A (9131-52A):  SF240-418 microcode level, HMC v7r7.7.0.2

Virtual I/O Server v2.2.2.1 FP26 with four freshly created client LPARs, as well as the corresponding virtual ethernet and virtual SCSI adapters.  Virtual SCSI disks are shared from a separate VG within the VIOS server containing logical volumes.

When the partitions are activated through SMS, only partitions 1 and 4 can recognize the virtual SCSI disk when performing a "List all devices" operation within SMS.  Partitions 2 and 3 do not recognize the virtual disks.

Client and server virtual SCSI ports are correctly configured, while lsmap -all reports correct information when checked from the VIOS.

Has anyone encountered similar problems?  What could possible cause this?

TIA

Updated on 2013-07-08T08:41:31Z at 2013-07-08T08:41:31Z by Carlo.Castillo
  • The_Doctor
    The_Doctor
    81 Posts

Re: virtual disks appear for some partitions, but not for others

‏2013-07-08T11:40:36Z  

From your description, I doubt you have a legitimate problem.  Just pop your DVD in (or whatever you plan to boot from).... boot the DVD & start the install process.  I suspect, your new VSCSI drive(s) will show up in the respective LPARs during the AIX "install" process.  This is normal.

During SMS processing "LIST ALL DEVICES" will ONLY show devices that SMS thinks are BOOTABLE.  I suspect Partitions 2 & 3 see their VSCSI disks but nothing on their respective disks is seen as bootable..... thus no disks are listed.  Partitions 1 & 4 probably see some OLD leftover junk from another installation that SMS thinks is bootbale thus they are listed.

If this is NOT the case, then something really is wrong in the VSCSI mappiing in your VIO Server(s).  Are you running Single or Dual VIO Servers ?  Regardless, lsmap -all should show you any discrepancies.

Updated on 2013-07-08T11:47:00Z at 2013-07-08T11:47:00Z by The_Doctor
  • JLGuyot
    JLGuyot
    3 Posts

‏2013-07-08T11:46:29Z  

You can try and boot the partition in openboot.

Then type ioinfo and pick vscsi, this should show you your LUNs.

• Carlo.Castillo
    Carlo.Castillo
    11 Posts

‏2013-07-09T03:47:46Z  

From your description, I doubt you have a legitimate problem.  Just pop your DVD in (or whatever you plan to boot from).... boot the DVD & start the install process.  I suspect, your new VSCSI drive(s) will show up in the respective LPARs during the AIX "install" process.  This is normal.

During SMS processing "LIST ALL DEVICES" will ONLY show devices that SMS thinks are BOOTABLE.  I suspect Partitions 2 & 3 see their VSCSI disks but nothing on their respective disks is seen as bootable..... thus no disks are listed.  Partitions 1 & 4 probably see some OLD leftover junk from another installation that SMS thinks is bootbale thus they are listed.

If this is NOT the case, then something really is wrong in the VSCSI mappiing in your VIO Server(s).  Are you running Single or Dual VIO Servers ?  Regardless, lsmap -all should show you any discrepancies.

Thanks.  Single VIO Server due to a small machine configuration.  lsmap -all checks out correctly.  Initiated a DVD install in a partition that did not report any virtual disks in SMS, and left it to finish on purpose on a Friday weekend.  Returned to it Monday and the install still wasn't finished, with no errors and the install screen still counting minutes elapsed and stalled at 96%.  Only tried it once so far, but I can try it again.  This isn't a production machine so I can do pretty much whatever I want.

But let me first check if I understood you correctly.  Are you saying that the newly created virtual disks are NOT supposed to show up in SMS, and that LPARs 1 and 4 are actually the anomalies in this situation?

• Carlo.Castillo
    Carlo.Castillo
    11 Posts

‏2013-07-09T03:48:17Z  
    • JLGuyot
    • ‏2013-07-08T11:46:29Z

I don't see anything stopping me from checking this out.  Will give it a try and send feedback.  Thanks.

• Carlo.Castillo
    Carlo.Castillo
    11 Posts

‏2013-07-09T08:18:16Z  
    • JLGuyot
    • ‏2013-07-08T11:46:29Z

Booting partitions from the Open Firmware OK Prompt and typing ioinfo give me the following errors across all partitions.  Does this tell you anything?  TIA.

IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM          

1 = SMS Menu                          5 = Default Boot List                
              8 = Open Firmware Prompt              6 = Stored Boot List                 

Memory      Keyboard     Network     SCSI     Speaker  ok                       
    0 > ioinfo ioinfo, unknown word ok                                                   
    0 >                                                                                 

• JLGuyot
    JLGuyot
    3 Posts

‏2013-07-09T08:48:06Z  

Booting partitions from the Open Firmware OK Prompt and typing ioinfo give me the following errors across all partitions.  Does this tell you anything?  TIA.

1 = SMS Menu                          5 = Default Boot List                
              8 = Open Firmware Prompt              6 = Stored Boot List                 

Memory      Keyboard     Network     SCSI     Speaker  ok                       
    0 > ioinfo ioinfo, unknown word ok                                                   
    0 >                                                                                 

then i guess SF240 doesn't support ioinfo :(

You were able to map your LUNs and bootinfo -s shows you the size of each LUN ?

If so, then you'll have to boot to a spot and check if the system sees the disks.

Updated on 2013-07-09T08:50:47Z at 2013-07-09T08:50:47Z by JLGuyot
  • The_Doctor
    The_Doctor
    81 Posts

‏2013-07-09T15:29:33Z  

Thanks.  Single VIO Server due to a small machine configuration.  lsmap -all checks out correctly.  Initiated a DVD install in a partition that did not report any virtual disks in SMS, and left it to finish on purpose on a Friday weekend.  Returned to it Monday and the install still wasn't finished, with no errors and the install screen still counting minutes elapsed and stalled at 96%.  Only tried it once so far, but I can try it again.  This isn't a production machine so I can do pretty much whatever I want.

But let me first check if I understood you correctly.  Are you saying that the newly created virtual disks are NOT supposed to show up in SMS, and that LPARs 1 and 4 are actually the anomalies in this situation?

When you first start SMS, SMS will only present devices (e.g. disks, lan adapters, cd/dvd, tape) that it thinks are currently bootable or might be bootable.  Taking an extreme case, if you have 500 vdisks correctly defined to an LPAR and 2 vdisks have /dev/hd5 (aka a boot record) on them, SMS will only present the 2 vdisks as POSSIBLE boot disks.  The other 498 vdisks are NOT presented because the 498 vdisks are NOT CURRENTLY BOOTABLE.  i.e in their CURRENT state, they don't have a boot record, therefore none of the 498 can be booted.  End of story !

So one method is..... boot from your DVD & get ready to start the install process.  Once the DVD boot completes (< 15 minutes) it will offer various options.... one option will be ....... to do a complete overwrite install of AIX.  Within this option is the ability to:

• select the TARGET disks to install AIX on........ and/or
    • display ALL candidate TARGET disks..... in order to make a selection.  Here you will see EVERY candidate disk.

If ALL your disks fail to display here....... something is wrong & you'll need to fix it before proceeding with the install.

Some areas to consider:

• Client LPAR profile VSCSI definitions
    • VIO Server profile VSCSI definitions
    • VSCSI mappings within the VIO Server

I notice that your HMC is quite current @ 7.7.7.0.2.  I'm running 7.7.6.0.2 with P7 processors.  I'm not  saying the HMC is the issue..... but it might be worth a call to IBM support...... and ask about any known issues @ 7.7.7.0.2 with a P5 processor.

Updated on 2013-07-09T22:25:33Z at 2013-07-09T22:25:33Z by The_Doctor
  • Carlo.Castillo
    Carlo.Castillo
    11 Posts

‏2013-07-10T01:34:52Z  
    • JLGuyot
    • ‏2013-07-09T08:48:06Z

then i guess SF240 doesn't support ioinfo :(

You were able to map your LUNs and bootinfo -s shows you the size of each LUN ?

If so, then you'll have to boot to a spot and check if the system sees the disks.

No problem. :)

Can you point me to a resource for the set of valid commands for the Open Firmware prompt?  That would be a big help as well.  Thanks!

• Carlo.Castillo
    Carlo.Castillo
    11 Posts

‏2013-07-10T01:42:02Z  

When you first start SMS, SMS will only present devices (e.g. disks, lan adapters, cd/dvd, tape) that it thinks are currently bootable or might be bootable.  Taking an extreme case, if you have 500 vdisks correctly defined to an LPAR and 2 vdisks have /dev/hd5 (aka a boot record) on them, SMS will only present the 2 vdisks as POSSIBLE boot disks.  The other 498 vdisks are NOT presented because the 498 vdisks are NOT CURRENTLY BOOTABLE.  i.e in their CURRENT state, they don't have a boot record, therefore none of the 498 can be booted.  End of story !

So one method is..... boot from your DVD & get ready to start the install process.  Once the DVD boot completes (< 15 minutes) it will offer various options.... one option will be ....... to do a complete overwrite install of AIX.  Within this option is the ability to:

• select the TARGET disks to install AIX on........ and/or
    • display ALL candidate TARGET disks..... in order to make a selection.  Here you will see EVERY candidate disk.

If ALL your disks fail to display here....... something is wrong & you'll need to fix it before proceeding with the install.

Some areas to consider:

• Client LPAR profile VSCSI definitions
    • VIO Server profile VSCSI definitions
    • VSCSI mappings within the VIO Server

I notice that your HMC is quite current @ 7.7.7.0.2.  I'm running 7.7.6.0.2 with P7 processors.  I'm not  saying the HMC is the issue..... but it might be worth a call to IBM support...... and ask about any known issues @ 7.7.7.0.2 with a P5 processor.

Thanks for typing all that in.  Huge help!

I'll just continue the testing and come back to the thread for any updates.

• JLGuyot
    JLGuyot
    3 Posts

‏2013-07-10T08:17:34Z  

No problem. :)

Can you point me to a resource for the set of valid commands for the Open Firmware prompt?  That would be a big help as well.  Thanks!

unfortunately openboot is not documented and i didn't find a site giving the commands.