Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-11-20T01:01:30Z by zhaoguob
sumithar
sumithar
30 Posts

Pinned topic Not able to do query tuning

‏2013-11-07T20:23:06Z |

I just installed version 4.1.  I want to EXPLAIN some packages.  I right click on a database connection and choose query tuning.  It prompts me some question about Infosphere and I say "No".  Then I get a message saying "The database could not be configured to explain queries".

Earlier I had recieved a message about not having the auth to bind package AOC5OADM.  But I had already bound this package on the host with the datastudio version 3.2.  AFAI can see the AOC5OADM file that is part of the installation on my PC is the same version that was there earlier.

Btw, is this forum the only support option for this product, btw?

Thanks!

• zhaoguob
    zhaoguob
    38 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Not able to do query tuning

‏2013-11-12T06:06:32Z  

Hi Sumithar,

Thanks a lot for reporting the problem.  The version 4.1 has refreshed the package version,  you need to bind the package again if you want to use version 4.1. So pls do not choose "No" when you right click on the database connection and choose query tuning, pls follow the guide to do configuration firstly before using version 4.1, you need to use a privileged user to do the configuration.

• zhaoguob
    zhaoguob
    38 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-14T03:03:21Z  
    • sumithar
    • ‏2013-11-13T13:40:37Z

Thank you.  I was able to get past that problem.  I have a follow-up question.  When I did the bind again I used a particular id that has the bind auth.  But the problem is that subsequently when I want to explain a package I'm limited to packages whose owner is the same as this particular id.

What should I do to be able to explain packages that have a different owner? Do I have to redo the configuration?

Thanks!

If you have done successful configuration, when you try to tune the package owned by a different owner, there is no need to redo the configuration.

You can just tune that package from date source explorer follow with 1.png in the attachment then choose  "2.Capture"->"Catalog Plan or Package", or you can just right click on the database and click the "Start tune..." then choose the "Catalog Plan or Package" as the source and new a filter  then input some option to filter out your package then tune. Pay attention, if your package is not bound with bind option EXPLAIN(YES), pls check the "Re-EXPLAIN the query" in the "4.Invoke" page.

Attachments

• zhaoguob
    zhaoguob
    38 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-20T01:01:30Z  
    • sumithar
    • ‏2013-11-19T14:30:00Z

Like I said, the problem is now gone.  I initially thought it was because I bound the AOC5O packages under the other package owners as well but no, that wasn't the reason.  I am perplexed (but pleasantly so).

FWIW, attached is the log file and the steps.  Would you mind removing the attachments from this post once you have downloaded them?

Thanks!

Glad to see your problem is gone. By the way, AOC5Oxxx packages are bound and used by our datastudio internally and you just need to bind once. And I am sorry but  I do not have the privilege to remove your attachments, you have to do it by yourself, thanks.

• zhaoguob
    zhaoguob
    38 Posts

‏2013-11-12T06:06:32Z  

Hi Sumithar,

Thanks a lot for reporting the problem.  The version 4.1 has refreshed the package version,  you need to bind the package again if you want to use version 4.1. So pls do not choose "No" when you right click on the database connection and choose query tuning, pls follow the guide to do configuration firstly before using version 4.1, you need to use a privileged user to do the configuration.

• sumithar
    sumithar
    30 Posts

‏2013-11-13T13:40:37Z  
    • zhaoguob
    • ‏2013-11-12T06:06:32Z

Hi Sumithar,

Thank you.  I was able to get past that problem.  I have a follow-up question.  When I did the bind again I used a particular id that has the bind auth.  But the problem is that subsequently when I want to explain a package I'm limited to packages whose owner is the same as this particular id.

What should I do to be able to explain packages that have a different owner? Do I have to redo the configuration?

Thanks!

• zhaoguob
    zhaoguob
    38 Posts

‏2013-11-14T03:03:21Z  
    • sumithar
    • ‏2013-11-13T13:40:37Z

Thanks!

If you have done successful configuration, when you try to tune the package owned by a different owner, there is no need to redo the configuration.

You can just tune that package from date source explorer follow with 1.png in the attachment then choose  "2.Capture"->"Catalog Plan or Package", or you can just right click on the database and click the "Start tune..." then choose the "Catalog Plan or Package" as the source and new a filter  then input some option to filter out your package then tune. Pay attention, if your package is not bound with bind option EXPLAIN(YES), pls check the "Re-EXPLAIN the query" in the "4.Invoke" page.

Attachments

• sumithar
    sumithar
    30 Posts

‏2013-11-14T21:26:18Z  
    • zhaoguob
    • ‏2013-11-14T03:03:21Z

Thanks.  For some reason I thought when I tried to retrieve the statements from a package bound under a different owner than the one I specified when binding AOC5OADM it was saying no statements found.

So I went ahead and bound all the various AOC packages under this other owner as well and that seemed to fix the issue.

• zhaoguob
    zhaoguob
    38 Posts

‏2013-11-15T05:35:42Z  
    • sumithar
    • ‏2013-11-14T21:26:18Z

Thanks.  For some reason I thought when I tried to retrieve the statements from a package bound under a different owner than the one I specified when binding AOC5OADM it was saying no statements found.

So I went ahead and bound all the various AOC packages under this other owner as well and that seemed to fix the issue.

Would you help to collect the snapshots for the steps (maybe save them into a Doc if possible) when you retrieve the statements from a package bound under a different owner than the one you specified when binding AOC5OADM it was saying no statements found? I'd like to see what was happening. Thanks a lot.

• zhaoguob
    zhaoguob
    38 Posts

‏2013-11-15T05:39:19Z  
    • zhaoguob
    • ‏2013-11-15T05:35:42Z

Would you help to collect the snapshots for the steps (maybe save them into a Doc if possible) when you retrieve the statements from a package bound under a different owner than the one you specified when binding AOC5OADM it was saying no statements found? I'd like to see what was happening. Thanks a lot.

Need more information, when you collect the snapshots, would you help to collect the trace files for us? thanks.

Here is the steps to enable trace:

1.click "Window" -> "Preferences", find "Query Tuner" preference page, click "Enable Query Tuner trace" and "Clear Trace", then click "OK".
    2. Then recreate the problem
    3. Open the directory which shown in the preference page, sort the files by "Date Modified" to find the latest trace file, then send the file to us (It is better to compress the file in zip format).

• sumithar
    sumithar
    30 Posts

‏2013-11-19T14:30:00Z  
    • zhaoguob
    • ‏2013-11-15T05:39:19Z

Need more information, when you collect the snapshots, would you help to collect the trace files for us? thanks.

Here is the steps to enable trace:

1.click "Window" -> "Preferences", find "Query Tuner" preference page, click "Enable Query Tuner trace" and "Clear Trace", then click "OK".
    2. Then recreate the problem
    3. Open the directory which shown in the preference page, sort the files by "Date Modified" to find the latest trace file, then send the file to us (It is better to compress the file in zip format).

Like I said, the problem is now gone.  I initially thought it was because I bound the AOC5O packages under the other package owners as well but no, that wasn't the reason.  I am perplexed (but pleasantly so).

FWIW, attached is the log file and the steps.  Would you mind removing the attachments from this post once you have downloaded them?

Thanks!

Updated on 2013-11-20T02:05:00Z at 2013-11-20T02:05:00Z by sumithar
  • zhaoguob
    zhaoguob
    38 Posts

‏2013-11-20T01:01:30Z  
    • sumithar
    • ‏2013-11-19T14:30:00Z

Thanks!

Glad to see your problem is gone. By the way, AOC5Oxxx packages are bound and used by our datastudio internally and you just need to bind once. And I am sorry but  I do not have the privilege to remove your attachments, you have to do it by yourself, thanks.